Go Back   Home Talk Entertainment Forums > Home Talk > Home Talk

Home Talk General chatting. Talk about whatever you want!

Sub-Forum: HTE Games- Entertain yourself with the games played here at HTE

Old 05-15-2012, 09:16 AM   #1
KeCats
Presidential Member

Default Capped 'Front' Teeth?

I don't know if that is the right thing to call them or not. I think it is. What I am wanting to know is, has anyone ever capped/crowned their front teeth for cosmetic reasons? If so, are you happy? Can you eat the same foods you did with your real teeth. I'm worried about things like eatting corn on the cob, biting into an apple, etc. etc. Also curious if they feel like fake teeth? These will be the all porcelin color. Not veneers, they will be capped.

I am thinking about having my front teeth done. I am a horrible teeth clencher/grinder and have destroyed the length and finish on the top teeth, they are not how they were 10 years ago. Uneven, thin, jagged, etc. I always had a nice smile (braces) with beautiful teeth, over the years I've ruined them. So I am considering doing this, but worried about those things I just mentioned.... Any advice from others who have done this?

I can't get veneers, I would "pop" them off due to my clenching/grinding. Even though I am getting a mouth guard, he is still worried I will pop em off. That is originally what I wanted.
KeCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:41 AM   #2
Charm
Topaz Member

I have had one of my front teeth capped. I had to have it done after having a root canal. I've been very happy with the results. It took a few months to get used to the smoother feel of that tooth, but other than that, I can't tell it is any different than my other teeth. I still eat apples, corn on the cob, and anything else I ever ate before having the procedure. That being said, if I wasn't happy with my smile, it would be well worth it, to me, to cut the corn off the cob to eat it, and to cut up my apple. How often do you eat those items? I'm sure your dentist can tell you much more. Best of luck.
Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:47 AM   #3
Stinky Burgerbrain
Platinum Member

I have one of my upper front teeth capped. I had to after a portion of the ancient filling that was in it broke out. Like Charm takes getting used to the smoother feeling of the tooth, but I eat like I used to. No different. Wish I could afford to have all of my teeth done that way.
Stinky Burgerbrain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:52 AM   #4
ShyAnne'sMom
Elite Presidential Member

DD has had several done. Top front. They look great!
ShyAnne'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:55 AM   #5
always1stepbehind
Presidential Member

My brother has all four of his front teeth crowned...He just recently in the last couple months had all 4 redone, but as far as I know he didn't have any problems with the old one and his new ones look great. You should be fine.
always1stepbehind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 12:43 PM   #6
dawnald1
Elite Member

If you can get veneers they're more natural
dawnald1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 01:12 PM   #7
KeCats
Presidential Member

Definitely can't get veneers - they won't stay on the way I clench/grind my teeth.
Old 05-15-2012, 01:28 PM   #8
Bopeep
Presidential Member

I have four. Got them when I was a teenager because my front teeth were so crooked. Even one dentist couldn't tell. I am a little bit careful about things like corn on the con, but it's never been a problem. They do wear down or crack eventually, but I think I've only had one replaced, 20 years ago.
Bopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 01:43 PM   #9
KeCats
Presidential Member

Wow thats great to hear bopeep!!
Old 05-15-2012, 02:22 PM   #10
may2
Platinum Member

They aren't as sharp as real teeth.
may2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 02:36 PM   #11
NYCgal
Royal Presidential Member

Implants.

NYCgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 02:39 PM   #12
maude
Platinum Member

I've had my two front teeth capped since I was about 13, and that's a very, very long time ago! (They were badly chipped when I was 9; I was hit in the mouth with a swing.) I never had any trouble eating anything with caps. Had them replaced twice in 50 years.
maude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 03:38 PM   #13
Bopeep
Presidential Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by may2 View Post
They aren't as sharp as real teeth.
What she said.
Bopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 04:09 PM   #14
Mimilee
Double Platinum Member

KeCats, I'm surprised your dentist didn't fit you with a night mouth guard, before you wore your teeth down so bad.
Also, I'm wondering what will happen to the caps, if you continue grinding/clenching your teeth? I'm thinking the same thing would happen to them...but what do I know?
Mimilee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 04:20 PM   #15
KeCats
Presidential Member

Mimi - Oh trust me, my dentist has been trying for years to get me to get a custom mouth guard. I never did, because the cost was $500. So I used the little mouth guards from the grocery store. Well they never stayed in, always woke up with it next to my pillow.

Now looking back I could kick myself over and over again from here to china. Do you know how much I would've saved if I just paid for the stupid $500 mouth guard?!!?

Anyway - Yes. I am getting the $500 mouth guard now (well he isn't charging me for it, b/c of all the other work I'm having done). They can't make it until my teeth are done being fixed because it will fit different after they "fix" the teeth.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:43 PM   #16
Mimilee
Double Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeCats View Post
Mimi - Oh trust me, my dentist has been trying for years to get me to get a custom mouth guard. I never did, because the cost was $500. So I used the little mouth guards from the grocery store. Well they never stayed in, always woke up with it next to my pillow.

Now looking back I could kick myself over and over again from here to china. Do you know how much I would've saved if I just paid for the stupid $500 mouth guard?!!?

Anyway - Yes. I am getting the $500 mouth guard now (well he isn't charging me for it, b/c of all the other work I'm having done). They can't make it until my teeth are done being fixed because it will fit different after they "fix" the teeth.
I know what you're saying about the cost! I had to get one about 15 years ago, because of my severe TMJ. Even that long ago, it was $400.

Sorry you had to find out the hard way about getting the guard sooner. There's definitely no comparison between the one from the drug store and the custom made one! I can assure you, it won't be falling out!

Last edited by Mimilee; 05-15-2012 at 06:46 PM.
Mimilee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:18 PM   #17
staci
Topaz Member

been seeing these in local dentist ads lately

www.snaponsmile.com

cant say anything about it though
staci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:39 PM   #18
zoned247
Platinum Member

I have had my four front teeth capped and I am very happy with them. I ate corn on the cob tonight. No problem. I never bite into an apple though - I got in the habit of cutting them up many years ago when I had braces and still eat them that way. Night guard, definitely!
zoned247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 10:53 PM   #19
KeCats
Presidential Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by staci View Post
been seeing these in local dentist ads lately

www.snaponsmile.com

cant say anything about it though
Those are neat, I like those - haven't heard of them before.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:54 PM   #20
KeCats
Presidential Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimilee View Post
I know what you're saying about the cost! I had to get one about 15 years ago, because of my severe TMJ. Even that long ago, it was $400.

Sorry you had to find out the hard way about getting the guard sooner. There's definitely no comparison between the one from the drug store and the custom made one! I can assure you, it won't be falling out!
Definitely the hard way, and here I thought I was being smart and saving myself money all these years. Yay Right! lol
Old 05-15-2012, 10:57 PM   #21
KeCats
Presidential Member

Thanks for all the opinions. Zoned your story is nice to know too. I love the stories of how they've lasted SO long! I had a crown done back in 93 from a root canal and I still have it, never feels loose or anything - so that has to be a good sign. What is that like 20 years almost. Plus its a back tooth (molar) so it gets the hard work.

I think I know what you mean about not being 'sharp'. It makes sense. Is it impossible to eat things like buffalo chicken wings or beef jerky (rip & tear)?