Go Back   Home Talk Entertainment Forums > Home Talk > Home Talk

Home Talk General chatting. Talk about whatever you want!

Sub-Forum: HTE Games- Entertain yourself with the games played here at HTE

Old 04-01-2012, 08:49 PM   #1
Redsky327
Triple Platinum Member

Default Homemade tortillas

Anyone here make them? Found an easy recipe and I'm going to make them this week. I don't, however, have a tortilla warmer. What I'm making is something I had at a restaurant in Knoxville, Aubrey's, as an appetizer - Chicken Pizza Rockefeller - and while it would be easy to use the tortillas from the store, I thought I'd make my own. I'm even using LARD.

They are made with a flour tortilla with sliced grilled chicken, queso blanco with spinach, chopped tomatoes, jalapenos, etc. OMG, it was wonderful! But I think the tortilla was fried briefly in oil because it was crispy.

Any ideas or tips?

UPDATE: Made 'em an didn't think it was a pain, at all~! Uh, but they weren't round. I don't do round. I will, however, make a game out of having everyone make guesses as to what countries they resemble!

Last edited by Redsky327; 04-02-2012 at 09:35 PM.
Redsky327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 08:55 PM   #2
SJR
Administrator

I've never attempted to make them, but I certainly will help you get rid of them!!
Old 04-01-2012, 08:55 PM   #3
xntric1
Elite Presidential Member

Get in your car & drive to Aubrey's!
Old 04-01-2012, 09:12 PM   #4
kayhil

I made them once. Once was enough.
kayhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:26 PM   #5
Sal Monella
Elite Member

Corn?easy peasy.
Sal Monella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 10:47 PM   #6
bunniemny

Was it like a quesadilla? I'm thinkin you could get the tortillas, assuming it was like a tortilla sandwich, by heating it enough to melt the inner ingredients and then turn the heat up just a little, let it get some crispness on one side, then flip and repeat? Sounds really good too btw. And no, have never made my own tortillas...let us know how that works out for you My answer to leftovers is to throw them in a tortilla, roll it up, bake it, cover w spoonfuls of salsa when done.

Last edited by bunniemny; 04-01-2012 at 10:53 PM.
bunniemny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 11:07 PM   #7
cathyb
Triple Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsky327 View Post
Anyone here make them? Found an easy recipe and I'm going to make them this week. I don't, however, have a tortilla warmer. What I'm making is something I had at a restaurant in Knoxville, Aubrey's, as an appetizer - Chicken Pizza Rockefeller - and while it would be easy to use the tortillas from the store, I thought I'd make my own. I'm even using LARD.

They are made with a flour tortilla with sliced grilled chicken, queso blanco with spinach, chopped tomatoes, jalapenos, etc. OMG, it was wonderful! But I think the tortilla was fried briefly in oil because it was crispy.

Any ideas or tips?
Go to Aubrey's and make friends. Bring lard if that helps.
cathyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 11:07 PM   #8
NYCgal
Royal Presidential Member

Well,I can tell ya one way to heat them:
Take down a plate, place a paper towel, then tortilla, then towel and keep alternating ending with a paper towel. Sprinkle stack with a lil water (a spray mister works exceptionally well) then nuke fer about...30 seconds on medium.
Throw a tea/dish towel over the stack and serve.

Oh that's fer unfried ones.

Lard, thing o beauty .

NYCgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 11:58 PM   #9
Fender
Presidential Member

never made them, but can eat them just fine. I was going to say I'll stop by while Im in ATL, but red has left the state, or would that be fled the state I'll make due with some Fat Matt's instead
Fender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 12:06 AM   #10
winky

Make homemade tortillas??? Ahhh......no. Not me. I wouldn't even attempt them but I do admire those who make them from scratch. We love them though.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:10 AM   #11
crowjane

We have so many places that you can buy them from (not supermarket stuff) I would never try.
crowjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 12:51 AM   #12
alpiner1
Elite Member

Our kids use to make them for some thing to do . We had just moved to the country & there was nothing for them to do . Oldest son would mop the floors because he was so bored !
alpiner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 01:52 AM   #13
crazymaggiemay
Triple Platinum Member

I've never made them but most Hispanic friends I've had said they'd buy them rather than make them.Too time consuming they say.
If I'm making quesadillas I spray the pan with Pam and then get the skillet hot before laying the tortilla down, fill it with whatever then top it off. (I forgot, I spread a little butter on them like a grilled cheese), watch for the one to get as brown and crispy as I want it and then flip over to do the same.
crazymaggiemay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:53 AM   #14
Redsky327
Triple Platinum Member

Well, now you have me scared. The recipe didn't look any more difficult than pizza dough or anything else like that - I'll give them a trial run today. Maybe make 1/2 recipe.

4 Cups all purpose flour
1 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
2 T lard
1-1/2 cups water

basically, you just mix, knead a few minutes, divide into 24 balls, roll 'em out and brown 'em up.

I'll let you know how the test batch turns out.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:53 AM   #15
alpiner1
Elite Member

As a fill in for cookies for our kids lunch I heated flour tortillas , spread jam down the center & packed them in the lunch bag .
alpiner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:58 AM   #16
Redsky327
Triple Platinum Member

I make pizzas using tortillas a lot.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:10 AM   #17
NYCgal

Quote:
Well, now you have me scared. The recipe didn't look any more difficult than pizza dough or anything else like that - I'll give them a trial run today. Maybe make 1/2 recipe.

4 Cups all purpose flour
1 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
2 T lard
1-1/2 cups water

basically, you just mix, knead a few minutes, divide into 24 balls, roll 'em out and brown 'em up.

Your ingredient list and proportions given reads similar to Rick Bayless' :

Quote:
Recipes from Chef Rick Bayless

Flour Tortillas
Tortillas de Harina Makes 12 tortillas
Recipe from the Authentic Mexican Cookbook

Ingredients

3/4 pound (2 3/4 cups) all-purpose flour, plus a little extra for rolling the tortillas
5 tablespoons lard or vegetable shortening, or a mixture of the two
3/4 teaspoon salt
about 3/4 cup very warm tap water

Directions

1. Make the dough. Combine the flour and fat in a large mixing bowl, working in the fat with your fingers, until completely incorporated. Dissolve the salt in the water, pour about 2/3 cup of it over the dry ingredients and immediately work it in with a fork; the dough will be in large clumps rather than a homogeneous mass. If all the dry ingredients haven't been dampened, add the rest of the liquid (plus a little more, if necessary). Scoop the dough onto your work surface and knead until smooth. It should be medium-stiff consistency -- definitely not firm, but not quite as soft as most bread dough either.

2. Rest the dough. Divide the dough into 12 portions and roll each into a ball. Set them on a plate, cover with plastic wrap and let rest at least 30 minutes (to make the dough less springy, easier to roll).

3. Roll and griddle-bake the tortillas. Heat an ungreased griddle or heavy skillet over medium to medium-high heat.

On a lightly floured surface, roll out a portion of the dough into an even 7-inch circle: Flatten a ball of dough, flour it, then roll forward and back across it; rotate a sixth of a turn and roll forward and back again; continue rotating and rolling until you reach a 7-inch circle, lightly flouring the tortilla and work surface from time to time.

Lay the tortilla on the hot griddle (you should hear a faint sizzle and see an almost immediate bubbling across the surface). After 30 to 45 seconds, when there are browned splotches underneath, flip it over. Bake 30 to 45 seconds more, until the other side is browned; don't overbake the tortilla or it will become crisp. Remove and wrap in a cloth napkin placed in a tortilla warmer. Roll and griddle-bake the remaining tortillas in the same manner and stacking them one on top of the other.

SEARCH

Recipes

Old 04-02-2012, 09:13 AM   #18
spryte
Double Platinum Member

I've never made them... but if you need a taste-tester for the Chicken Pizza Rockefeller... I will happily volunteer my services! =)
spryte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:26 AM   #19
Ugottme
Topaz Member

I made them, twice.

The first time I was disappointed, they weren't soft and luscious like I wanted. I used a recipe like the one you posted here, Red, with lard, yes. The were just tougher that you want, at first way too cripsy then, by the time I felt I had the hang of it (was hand rolling with a pin, I don't have a press or anything) I thought maybe I just took too long, overworked or overrested/dried out the dough or something. They were bleh.

I looked up another recipe, thinking, I might like a fatter more texas-like tortilla. Maybe that's my problem. The difference was baking powder. I went with this version :

http://homesicktexan.blogspot.com/20...tortillas.html

Better, but not the same...

I then learned my problem is likely that I just left them on the griddle too long.

Take them off before you think they're done.

I bascially was making crackers, at first (now that I know, I would add seeds and/or more salt and they would be tasty homemade sodacrackers). Then I was making overcooked tortillas.

Literally, just thirty seconds max, for me it needed to be less on the second side.
Ugottme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:39 AM   #20
NYCgal

This vid might help with technique and stuff:

BORKED

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sD3U...ture=endscreen

Old 04-02-2012, 09:44 AM   #21
Ugottme
Topaz Member

Good idea, NYC, with the video, It might help....

in my case, I think it would be more like practice that would help the most.

I am not willing, I guess, when good tortillas are so cheap and available.

Still, it could be a challenge I'm willing to take again someday. When I'm retired or something. I'm still trying to get the pierogi making right. Another dough that is an art.
Ugottme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:56 AM   #22
Redsky327
Triple Platinum Member

Good tips, Ugottme. NYCgal, thanks. Can't watch the video (due to my hilljack internet connection here), but I think I have the main idea. Good thing I'm making a trial run today because I will now have the option of running to the store to get already made ones!
Old 04-02-2012, 11:39 AM   #23
NYCgal

...it is fried.....do NOT ask how I know .

Old 04-02-2012, 01:17 PM   #24
Gaelacha
Topaz Member

Quote:

4 Cups all purpose flour
1 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
2 T lard
1-1/2 cups water

I've made 'em a couple times, recipe pretty much the same as this, they turned out really good. The one thing I remember is that the instructions I used said the very best thing for rolling out tortillas was a section of an old wooden broom handle or mop handle and the technique is to roll it away from you, not back and forth. You pat the ball a little flat, put the dowel on the edge closest to you, roll it away from you, give the tortilla a 1/4 turn, roll away from you again, and so on until it's the size you want.

That's all I remember except I had lots of fun making them.
Gaelacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 01:34 PM   #25
Redsky327
Triple Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaelacha View Post
I've made 'em a couple times, recipe pretty much the same as this, they turned out really good. The one thing I remember is that the instructions I used said the very best thing for rolling out tortillas was a section of an old wooden broom handle or mop handle and the technique is to roll it away from you, not back and forth. You pat the ball a little flat, put the dowel on the edge closest to you, roll it away from you, give the tortilla a 1/4 turn, roll away from you again, and so on until it's the size you want.

That's all I remember except I had lots of fun making them.
I have a cool roller thing from Pampered Chef that I think will be perfect for this. It's about the same diameter as a broom handle. Good tips, Gaelacha, thanks.
Old 04-02-2012, 02:53 PM   #26
MsP
Elite Member

I want to know the filling. Not attempting to make a tortilla with all the available ones here. Same with tamales.
MsP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:40 PM   #27
Redsky327
Triple Platinum Member

I'll post the topping once I get that part figured out!

baby steps....baby steps...
Old 04-02-2012, 10:39 PM   #28
MsP
Elite Member

Okay---thanks.
MsP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 02:03 AM   #29
Ranchy
Presidential Member

haha making tortillas is kinda a big thing around here, bein's as how we're mostly of Mexican descent and all.

Used to be a gal who lived in my hometown back when I was in grade school, who made the most perfectly round tortillas you can imagine.....one day my mom asked her how she got them so round, she admitted that after rolling them out, she used a gallon coffee can like a cookie cutter, and cut them out. lol
Ranchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 04:58 AM   #30
NYCgal

Quote:

Any ideas or tips?

UPDATE: Made 'em an didn't think it was a pain, at all~! Uh, but they weren't round. I don't do round. I will, however, make a game out of having everyone make guesses as to what countries they resemble!
Serbia!!!!!!
Glad ya found it easy to make......maybe I'll take a leaf outta yer book and give it a try when I've finished with the store bought ones sitting in the fridge. Would be a nice way to use up sum leftover lard from pate-making.

Old 04-03-2012, 11:46 AM   #31
Libra/FL
Topaz Member

Italy?
Libra/FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 11:47 AM   #32
Redsky327
Triple Platinum Member

The Pampered Chef roller worked great. Highly recommend it.

http://www.pamperedchef.com/our_prod...ategoryCode=BK
Old 04-03-2012, 11:47 AM   #33
Redsky327
Triple Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libra/FL View Post
Italy?
One of them sure did.
Old 04-03-2012, 11:49 AM   #34
Libra/FL
Topaz Member

Hahahaha. You gonna post pictures?
Libra/FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 11:51 AM   #35
Redsky327
Triple Platinum Member

Ohellno. I have SOME pride! Maybe the next batch.
Old 04-03-2012, 03:00 PM   #36
always1stepbehind
Presidential Member

To get them round, after you roll them in a ball, you sorta flatten them out so they are about 3 inches wide...flour them a little, a little flour on your cutting board, rubbing some on your roller doesn't hurt...put the round 3 inch piece on the board, roll it with the roller once, turn it sideways, roll it again, after that make quarter turns each time...

It takes practice.

My grandma used to make the BEST homemade tortillas. She lived with us when we were little. My mom did too (made good tortillas) but she didn't like to make them as an adult because when she was younger and at home she had to make a stack everyday after school...and there were like 8 kids in her family...
always1stepbehind is offline   Reply With Quote