Go Back   Home Talk Entertainment Forums > Hobbies > Crafting Corner

Crafting Corner Chat about your favorite types of crafting! From sewing to quilting, needlework to scrapbooking, knitting to crocheting, and all other crafts!

Sub-Forum: Peg's Mistletoe Magic- A forum created for our resident crafter, peg58! We would like all crafters to share their ideas related to Christmas crafts!

Old 04-20-2011, 04:22 PM   #1
DecoMom
Triple Platinum Member

Default Anyone use wall racks for storing thread spools?

I've had thread stored in flat boxes and it's not really working for me anymore. Curious as to whether anyone has used any variation on the wall rack spool holder, and whether anyone prefers it.
DecoMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 06:23 PM   #2
norphan
Presidential Member

I've tried the spool racks and found them wanting. The racks are designed, such, that they are close together, so that whenever I try to remove one spool, it tends to snag (dropping them) others. If one determines to place the spool with empty spots in between, it takes up a lot of extra space and I still have trouble (I'm not the most coordinated person in the world) getting just one AND replacing them.

I still use the box method (I know it is a mess, but at least the mess is all in one place instead of bouncing onto the floor and under things).

As I tend to use navy, black, white, red, and dark red, the most, I put one spool of each of those colors (and a loaded bobbin) into another, smaller, handier box, and keep it close at hand.

I DO, however, use the wall thread-holders to hang my everyday jewelry on and it works great (to be able to see it all) and it doesn't fall on the floor as much as the spools did.
norphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 06:30 PM   #3
DecoMom
Triple Platinum Member

I had a hunch that might be a problem. I have lots of thread (just got several boxes out of storage) and not as much shelf space as I anticipated, so I was hoping I could use some vertical space.

I wonder if one could build one from scratch, with peg board and dowels? Though the right size dowel (to fit in the peg board) might be hard to find. That way one could custom space them.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:21 AM   #4
jimzmum
Double Platinum Member

I have the wall racks. Use them, can't stand them. I have a lot of thread. A lot. I am going to work with Himself this summer on a new way of displaying them. Saw it in a costume shop and love it. It is shelves built to size different types of spools. Each shelf is fronted by a piece of cable, and the thread can't fall off. The shelves are deep enough to house Serger spools - the regular size, and those are on the bottom. Regular spools are on the rows up to the top. I think it will keep the threads less dusty as well.

One thing I do love are the plastic bobbin cases. The clear ones. Each one holds 25 bobbins. I have four that are completely filled, and one that is about half. I buy my bobbins on eBay 50 at a time. Whenever I get a new thread, I immediately fill a bobbin.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:02 PM   #5
norphan
Presidential Member

I use th plastic spool cases, as well. I don't like them but can put up with them.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:20 PM   #6
DecoMom
Triple Platinum Member

Hmm, that sounds interesting (shelving). Might have to look into something along those lines.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:15 PM   #7
jimzmum
Double Platinum Member

I find that I have to dust the threads I have on those dowel racks. No thank you. I am going to use acrylic or something to make doors for the shelves.
Old 04-21-2011, 11:00 PM   #8
Javonne
Elite Presidential Member

I use wall racks and a drawer for regular spools, a plastic bin for cone thread. I like the wall racks because I can easily see the color of the thread, hold a piece of material next to the spools and pick the one I need. I row my thread by color. I also try to alternate the spools by size - tall spool, shorter spool, tall spool, 2 small spools stacked on top of each other, tall spool, etc.
Javonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 11:46 PM   #9
jimzmum
Double Platinum Member

Javonne, do you have trouble with dust on rarely used threads?
Old 04-22-2011, 12:37 PM   #10
norphan
Presidential Member

Javonne, you're just a little-too organized for my house...I'm lucky if I can just get the thread back to the sewing machine, let alone color-arrange it!!!
Old 04-22-2011, 08:57 PM   #11
SunshineDiva

Smile

Hi Deco,

Here is a link to a site where once can be made. Looks easy.

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-...h-Thread-Rack/
Old 04-23-2011, 08:24 PM   #12
JoW
Triple Platinum Member

I store my ghread horizontal in a fishing tackle box. I have it divided into rows with plastic peices I recycled (stole out of the trash) at work, but you could do the same with slick cardboard. And you could use a box larger than a tackle box. Maybe a shirt box.

JoW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 02:03 PM   #13
Tbyrd
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineDiva View Post
Hi Deco,

Here is a link to a site where once can be made. Looks easy.

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-...h-Thread-Rack/

I just looked at that thread rack and that looks perfect for what I have been looking for. I would probably do it minus the fabric and batting. I printed it out and am going to show it to DH tonight. I know for him it will be easy and I will offer to help. LOL And I can figure it to hold the spools of regular and serger thread I use. Also the dowel lengths are tall enough I can put the bobbin above or below the spool.

Thank you for helping me figure out a delima

~Tammy~
Tbyrd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 10:53 PM   #14
Javonne

Quote:
Originally Posted by norphan View Post
Javonne, you're just a little-too organized for my house...I'm lucky if I can just get the thread back to the sewing machine, let alone color-arrange it!!!
LOL! DD's friends asked me if I was OCD.
Old 04-30-2011, 02:01 PM   #15
SunshineDiva

Smile

Hi,

Tybird you are welcome. I am sure you can change it up a little in size and width to accommodate your thread spools. Let us know how it came out once finished.
Old 04-30-2011, 02:58 PM   #16
Tbyrd
Platinum Member

Hubby just bought 200 dowels that are 2nds for making Arrows for his bow and he is going thru them to see if he can use any of them and said that he could use the others for other things, Like a spool holder. Yea!! Some I will have to sand down to fit into the holes in the spools but they were a really good price and all of the "bad" ones can be used for other things.
Tbyrd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 10:16 PM   #17
DecoMom
Triple Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbyrd View Post
I just looked at that thread rack and that looks perfect for what I have been looking for. I would probably do it minus the fabric and batting. I printed it out and am going to show it to DH tonight. I know for him it will be easy and I will offer to help. LOL And I can figure it to hold the spools of regular and serger thread I use. Also the dowel lengths are tall enough I can put the bobbin above or below the spool.

Thank you for helping me figure out a delima

~Tammy~
Hey, that looks like a great solution (and a way to use some of my scrap wood from the family room project)! I bet you could use eye screws in the bottom of one and hooks in the top of another to join sections together. That would require a more secure way of hanging at the top — perhaps picture wire secured to eye screws.

I think I'll be visiting the hardware store tomorrow with a spool to gauge the right size. I think I'll cover mine with handmade paper and Mod Podge.

SunshineDiva, thanks a bunch for the link!
Old 05-06-2011, 05:42 PM   #18
SunshineDiva

Arrow

Hi Deco,

Glad I could help.
Old 05-09-2011, 01:29 PM   #19
DecoMom
Triple Platinum Member

I found some scrap materials (leftover from the family room construction and have started putting together a 1x4-foot spool rack! I glued soundproofing board (it's a little soft) to some MDF and am in the process of covering it with handmade paper and ModPodge. The MDF was about an inch longer, so I'm going to drill holes and put grommets in for hanging. Next I'll do a paper template for where the holes will be drilled for the dowels — tape and drill. Cut the dowels as per the link and assemble. I'm guessing it could hold as many as 90 spools, but that's eyeballing it.
Old 05-09-2011, 04:56 PM   #20
SunshineDiva

Smile

Hi Deco,

That sounds awesome. Post a photo when finished. How are you making the paper template. I love crafting projects like this.
Old 05-10-2011, 12:47 PM   #21
DecoMom
Triple Platinum Member

I've got heavyweight tracing paper; I'll tape it to the board, trace the outline and figure out the spacing for the dowels. I'll mark the spots with an awl, maybe highlight them with a marker on the board. I'll have several rows on the one sheet, so I can then match the top of the template with the last row and mark the rest accordingly. (I did this with a giant shoe rack I built for DH.)

Tough part, I think, will be drilling the holes at an angle. I think my new Dremel tool might come in handy here.
Old 05-13-2011, 04:42 AM   #22
jimzmum
Double Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DecoMom View Post
I've got heavyweight tracing paper; I'll tape it to the board, trace the outline and figure out the spacing for the dowels. I'll mark the spots with an awl, maybe highlight them with a marker on the board. I'll have several rows on the one sheet, so I can then match the top of the template with the last row and mark the rest accordingly. (I did this with a giant shoe rack I built for DH.)

Tough part, I think, will be drilling the holes at an angle. I think my new Dremel tool might come in handy here.
Drill a scrap piece of lumber with a hole the exact angle you need. Then, center the hole over where you need the next one drilled. The drill will be angled just right every time.
Old 05-13-2011, 01:52 PM   #23
DecoMom
Triple Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimzmum View Post
Drill a scrap piece of lumber with a hole the exact angle you need. Then, center the hole over where you need the next one drilled. The drill will be angled just right every time.
You're a genius. Thanks!
Old 05-13-2011, 03:04 PM   #24
SunshineDiva

Smile

Hi Jim,

What a great tip that is. Deco can't wait to see your finished thread rack.
Old 05-13-2011, 06:19 PM   #25
DecoMom
Triple Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineDiva View Post
Hi Jim,

What a great tip that is. Deco can't wait to see your finished thread rack.
I'm wondering how ridiculous I'd look, toting this 4-foot board to the regional track meet tomorrow. Lots of dead time between the girls' events! Otherwise I don't know when I'll find another chance to work on it. Oy.
Old 05-16-2011, 04:36 PM   #26
DecoMom
Triple Platinum Member

Default Update

I'm about half finished drilling the holes for the dowels. I would have plowed through and finished yesterday, but the drill battery died. So I'll get a few done each evening till it's complete. Then I'll cut the dowels down to size, drop some glue in the holes and plug. Put in the eye screws, tie on some picture wire, anchor a hook on the wall and we'll call it done!
Old 05-16-2011, 06:00 PM   #27
MoorePiggy
Platinum Member

Here's a tried and true way of holding the thread in the bobin for storage.

http://sewing.patternreview.com/cgi-...iew.pl?ID=1813
MoorePiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 12:52 PM   #28
DecoMom
Triple Platinum Member

Default Update

Rack is 99% done just have to get some grommets for the top and hang this bad boy on the wall! I loaded up the thread already I even have a dozen or so free spots! I'm glad I covered it with the handmade paper, it added a nice touch.

I will post a photo once I get it in place hopefully this evening.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:24 PM   #29
jimzmum
Double Platinum Member

I can't wait to see! Thread is such a pain. I am trying to corral 23750237853 cones at the moment. So far, plastic containers seems to work because I am not using my serger much, and I have the cone holder for my machine. I haven't thought much about finding another way to hold all of it, but I know I am wasting valuable shelf space with the containers.
Old 05-31-2011, 03:49 PM   #30
DecoMom
Triple Platinum Member

Here it is:
Old 05-31-2011, 07:11 PM   #31
norphan
Presidential Member

Oh, my, that looks wonderful. All of the racks I've seen were too small to be of much use to me but THIS looks wonderful! What a wonderful job you've done.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:50 PM   #32
SunshineDiva

Smile

Hi Decomom,

Love your thread spool rack. You did an awesome job constructing it. Thanks for sharing the photo of the finished project.
Old 06-01-2011, 05:18 PM   #33
DecoMom
Triple Platinum Member

Thank you! And thanks to everyone whose ideas got melded into this.

If I had to do it over again, I might have made it a bit shorter — it was dicey, figuring out how high I could hang it while still reachable. On the other hand, you can see I've come quite close to filling it (and that's just the standard spools and a few Gutermanns — no small spools). Am mostly glad that it all worked out, and that I was able to use construction scrap to make it (except for the dowels).
Old 06-01-2011, 05:19 PM   #34
DecoMom
Triple Platinum Member

One more thought, for those who might not have much vertical space: This is only 12" wide; one could easily build one wide but short, and hang under a shelf.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:36 PM   #35
norphan
Presidential Member

It also helps that it is so attractive...this could easily pass for a creative piece of wall-art. Just beautiful.

[I'm looking for a place to put one, now.]
Old 06-02-2011, 04:15 PM   #36
MoorePiggy
Platinum Member

The rack turned out beautiful. Good work, Deco!
BTW - What do you sew that you need that much thread? LOL
MoorePiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 06:34 PM   #37
DecoMom
Triple Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoorePiggy View Post
The rack turned out beautiful. Good work, Deco!
BTW - What do you sew that you need that much thread? LOL
LOL! I used to make most of my clothes. And some for the girls. And home dec....
Old 06-04-2011, 10:41 PM   #38
jimzmum
Double Platinum Member

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful! I just love that.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:49 AM   #39
kayhil

That looks great DecoMom!! If you don't have a lot to store would one of those things that holds paper towels on the counter work also? I have one that has a small enough rod on it. Except it would be a pain to take all of them off to get to the color you would need.
kayhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 12:00 PM   #40
DecoMom
Triple Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayhil View Post
That looks great DecoMom!! If you don't have a lot to store would one of those things that holds paper towels on the counter work also? I have one that has a small enough rod on it. Except it would be a pain to take all of them off to get to the color you would need.
That would bug me, having to remove spools to get to the desired one. It bugs me in stores couldn't do it at home!

But that gave me another idea ... peg board. If you got peg board hooks ... you know, they're at an angle; they could work for less labor (but more $$) than the rack I made.
Old 06-14-2011, 01:45 AM   #41
Javonne

Very colorful. Is the board covered with fabric?
Old 06-14-2011, 03:51 PM   #42
DecoMom
Triple Platinum Member

No, handmade paper, with a generous coat of Mod Podge.
Old 09-17-2011, 03:58 PM   #43
eaglerock
Gold Member

I'm showing this to my husband. He hate for me to use his tools so he will just have to make it for me.
eaglerock is offline   Reply With Quote