Go Back   Home Talk Entertainment Forums > Home Talk > Home Talk

Home Talk General chatting. Talk about whatever you want!

Sub-Forum: HTE Games- Entertain yourself with the games played here at HTE

Old 02-18-2011, 08:00 AM   #1
Shamrock
Elite Member

Default FAKE HGTV PROGRAMS

I know, we talked about this before - but, now I have personal proof that some are fake.

I fell asleep yesterday afternoon watching Color Splash with David B redoing a home office for a couple in San Francisco. The house was a 3 story Victorian - vey nice. I woke up 1 1/2 hours later to Income Property where the host was creating a basement apartment in a bungalow for the same couple with the same names and wearing the same clothes.
Shamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 08:28 AM   #2
chi
Topaz Member

HGTV are hurting themselves
chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 08:33 AM   #3
chijim
Elite Member

They do use the same people at times--I've see it done on HH, and it isn't necessarily fake - it's just easier for the producers/crew if the people are seasoned by being filmed previously.

The couple you're referring to may have moved - Color Splash was filmed in San Francisco, Income Property is in Toronto.
Maybe it's the same production company for both shows-- and when the couple moved, they contacted them.
chijim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 08:51 AM   #4
buginthelowcountry
Elite Presidential Member

HGTV is falling apart at the seams. I think they've been hit with the economy too, and are taking every shortcut they can to keep their heads above water... and it's making them less and less desirable to watch. I already don't. There is seriously NOTHING on there anymore that I care to see. Well, I'll watch Mike Holmes, but I don't even want to see him in a million and one reruns! (*"*)
buginthelowcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 09:19 AM   #5
jimzmum
Double Platinum Member

I wish Mike Holmes would put on his shirt.

I am also tired of rerun, rerun, rerun. Some of those shows are just awful to begin with.

Love to see the crafts back, real landscaping that works, things like that.

Would love to see a show about sewing for the home. There are so many new, totally cool notions out there. Wish there were a show about making your own Roman Shades - they are really very easy to make - using the wonderful new tape that is now on the market. Things like that.
Old 02-18-2011, 09:30 AM   #6
Bopeep
Elite Member

I've been watching DIY a lot.
Bopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 09:37 AM   #7
Comingbacktolife
Double Platinum Member

I don't think it's just HGTV. There isn't really much, worth watching, on any channel.
The programs I watch are a far cry from those of long ago.
I do admit to watching House Hunters, especially in the late hours, when I want to sleep.
Comingbacktolife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 10:19 AM   #8
Mr.Design
Administrator

It is obnoxious. When I do watch I only watch a couple shows. Property Virgins I like because of Sandra, but I know it's fake, too. One couple was waiting in a restaurant for the offer... a family was sitting behind them. Sandra came back and told them something, the family behind them was gone. Sandra came back and told them they got the house and the family was there again. Perhaps it was just that one scene, but I kind of doubt it.
Mr.Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 10:36 AM   #9
COOL BEANS
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamrock View Post
I know, we talked about this before - but, now I have personal proof that some are fake.

I fell asleep yesterday afternoon watching Color Splash with David B redoing a home office for a couple in San Francisco. The house was a 3 story Victorian - vey nice. I woke up 1 1/2 hours later to Income Property where the host was creating a basement apartment in a bungalow for the same couple with the same names and wearing the same clothes.
LOL, that's too funny. How can they not pick up on these things.
COOL BEANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 10:37 AM   #10
COOL BEANS
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimzmum View Post
I wish Mike Holmes would put on his shirt.

I am also tired of rerun, rerun, rerun. Some of those shows are just awful to begin with.

Love to see the crafts back, real landscaping that works, things like that.

Would love to see a show about sewing for the home. There are so many new, totally cool notions out there. Wish there were a show about making your own Roman Shades - they are really very easy to make - using the wonderful new tape that is now on the market. Things like that.
I would love a show like that. All about sewing for the house. Great idea. Pitch it to them.
Old 02-18-2011, 10:42 AM   #11
MizRoux
Junior Deputy

Quote:
Originally Posted by COOL BEANS View Post
I would love a show like that. All about sewing for the house. Great idea. Pitch it to them.
Unfortunately, I don't think pitching it to them would make any difference. If HGTV wanted to have shows that we want to see they wouldn't have dumped the craft shows and shows like Decorating Sense.

What they want are shows that are cheap to produce. What we want is so far down their list of priorities that it pretty much doesn't count.
MizRoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 10:51 AM   #12
Charm
Topaz Member

A lot of HGTV shows are scripted and set up. A reporter from Washington D.C. (can't remember her name) wrote an article, a few years back, about her experience. She was new to the D.C. area and needed help decorating her condo. HGTV stepped in to help. They had her go out and buy items to "plant" around her condo so that they (HGTV) could use them in their show by saying these were items she (the homeowner) already had.

I think HGTV needs to change their name to The Real Estate Channel. It seems all they ever have on is real-estate related shows.
Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 10:53 AM   #13
chijim
Elite Member

Speaking of, Income Property will be crossing the border:

Quote:
One of HGTV’s hottest shows, Income Property, is looking for homeowners that would like to renovate an income suite to help pay for their mortgage.

Income Property is casting now
for winter/spring 2011 renovations!

INCOME PROPERTY is looking to shoot
an upcoming episode in Erie, PA, Virginia Beach, VA

or San Antonio, TX - we want you!
We are looking for renovations to be completed in May 2011.
If interested, please fill in an application and return today!
Download the application form from the "about us" page.
chijim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 11:39 AM   #14
Comingbacktolife
Double Platinum Member

Property Virgins, and Income Property...'won't watch either of them. 'Don't like the hosts...especially their voices.
Now, if they'd just get rid of that damned clanging doorbell, on House Hunters.
Old 02-18-2011, 11:50 AM   #15
Nancy in ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by COOL BEANS View Post

Sewing for the home, while a good idea, isn't going to target their key audience which is the 18-45 year old female. People in that age group, generally speaking, don't have the interest or the time to sew, due to jobs, kids, etc.

Those of us who do have the time, are not in that age group. Again, speaking in general terms. There are always exceptions.
Old 02-18-2011, 11:53 AM   #16
crowjane

HGTV has a target demographic, as all Stations do, this is how they present themselves to advertisers

Quote:
HGTV offers an entertaining line-up of lifestyle programming and engaging talent that inspires and empowers people to imagine, create and enjoy where they live. Full of ideas and often just plain fun, HGTV is a starting point for making life anything you want it to be.
Audience & Targeting
HGTV ranks #2 among women as a channel to which they pay more attention to ads and #2 as one of their favorite channels. The primary demographic is adults 25-54, with the majority of those being women. The median household income of HGTV viewers is $65K and 85% of them are home owners.
Women crafters are not their primary demographic.
crowjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 11:53 AM   #17
DecoMom
Triple Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamrock View Post

If it's the same CS I saw yesterday, that wasn't a Victorian — it was kind of a stucco bungalow on steroids that's very common near the DDs' school. Part of an about 8-square-block area developed by a someone whose name escapes me, but the SF Chronicle did something on him in about 2004-05. If it were smaller I'd say it was in the part of Oakland and Berkeley where I grew up, but given the size — inner Richmond, SF. Which is totally compatible with a basement apartment.

Couldn't say if it was the same house as Income Property as I've never seen that show.
DecoMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 12:08 PM   #18
MizRoux
Junior Deputy

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowjane View Post
HGTV has a target demographic, as all Stations do.

Women crafters are not their primary demographic.
Exactly. The problem is that when they first started, they had shows that attracted crafters and people with similar interests (like sewing). Then, as they fine tuned their target demographic, it wasn't us, so as the shows changed, a lot of the folks who had gravitated there felt abandoned. HGTV can't really be blamed. They were just doing what networks do, but the shows that we crafters and sewers and hobbiests want are no longer on their radar screen.
MizRoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 12:28 PM   #19
crowjane

Hang in there MizRoux everything old is new again.
With the economy the way it is and with the decline in real estate. I think you'll see some programing coming in to reflect it.
I can totally see a Victory Garden sort of program, perhaps a how to reuse program, both green and ecomomical.
It fits with what is happening in the real world. HGTV and others are just slow to catch up. As long as people keep watching the same episode of House hunters the 800th time and folks are lovin' the reality type escapism stuff (I think of Selling NY as a fantasy, reality show) they will keep dishing it out.

Really if someone pitched a crafting/sewing show as a "Green" way to do things it would fly.
Old 02-18-2011, 12:53 PM   #20
DeniseK
Platinum Member

I really like DIY but even its programming is starting to dry up.
DeniseK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 01:00 PM   #21
erinsean
Platinum Member

My DIL and I were watching HOUSE HUNTERS one evening. We watched two different programs. Supposedly in two different cities. Well, one of the houses the couple looked at was the same house as one on the other program. Had different accessories but same furnishings, paint and etc. Who are they kidding?
erinsean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 03:05 PM   #22
P.S.
Platinum Member

What does everyone think of Sarah's House? I have to laugh at the money she and her sidekick spend and call a "bargain". When she spends $4000 to get those bargain chairs reupholstered it's not such a bargain. But I watch her show because at least they are not all reruns.
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 03:26 PM   #23
Comingbacktolife
Double Platinum Member

I love Sarah's House, but wonder at the prices. Also, I don't get completely decorating a house, only to sell it. What she does is far past "staging."
Old 02-18-2011, 08:44 PM   #24
JoW
Triple Platinum Member

HGTV lost me when they dropped the crafting shows. The only thing on HGTV that I watch now is the Rose Parade.

JoW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 01:49 PM   #25
bonnie
Platinum Member

does anyone know what happened to Paul James? i hope i'm recalling his name correctly. i think he did a show called Gardening By The Yard or something like that. i think it was filmed at his own home. he used to co-host the Rose Parade but i haven't seen him do that the last couple of years. i suppose he's "too old" for the preferred demographics now but i really liked him. and as for the "G" in HGTV i see very little of it available. maybe it's on more during the summer months or something. i agree tho that HGTV is using personalities more than real situations anymore. kind of like the food network. all these "celebrity" chefs and stuff.

one would do better watching PBS which still gives us garden and crafting and "how to" shows.

i do love to watch House Hunters and HH International. i've always had a fascination with floor plans and find the european shows really interesting especially since their homes are often sooo different from ours. and HH does seem to be very popular so we get like 1100 shows each day. haha

bon
bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 02:06 PM   #26
crowjane

Bon
Paul James has a website
http://www.gardenerguy.com/
Old 02-19-2011, 02:31 PM   #27
filmguy
Gold Member

I remember a guy who used to advertise some type of phone service for 19 cents a minute.

About a year later, the same guy was representing something else. He looked different, dressed different, but I knew it was him.
filmguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 08:07 PM   #28
eaglerock
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy in ME View Post
Sewing for the home, while a good idea, isn't going to target their key audience which is the 18-45 year old female. People in that age group, generally speaking, don't have the interest or the time to sew, due to jobs, kids, etc.

Those of us who do have the time, are not in that age group. Again, speaking in general terms. There are always exceptions.
I don't know about that Nancy.
I did more sewing for the home at that age then I do now. I had to. All our money was going for kids clothes and daily bills.
When I worked at a fabric store I gave lessons to women on how to make easy curtains or how to drape fabric for window scarves. We showed them how to do things even if they didn't have sewing machines.
They loved it.
eaglerock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 08:25 PM   #29
bluemoon
Topaz Member

I used to watch HGTV all the time, now I rarely turn it on.

Not surprised that some of the HGTV shows are fake.

Count me in as someone else who wants craft and sewing programs.
Even Sewing with Nancy on create channel is gone.
bluemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 08:27 PM   #30
COOL BEANS
VIP

I've enjoyed sewing since I was about 6 years old. I know there is a market for young sewing people if they did the shows right.
Old 02-19-2011, 08:34 PM   #31
bluemoon
Topaz Member

I agree Cool Beans. Not only for sewing but for knitting and other skills that used to be based on from generation to generation.
bluemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 01:50 PM   #32
bonnie
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowjane View Post
Bon
Paul James has a website
http://www.gardenerguy.com/

WOW WAY COOL!!! thanks for the link!!!

bon
bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 04:23 PM   #33
twinsmommy

That is CRAZY! Well, they are losing out on alottt
Old 02-20-2011, 06:34 PM   #34
Think Happy Thoughts
Bronze Member

I'd like to trade Mike Holmes and HH International in and see good ole wholesome Shari & Matt come back! Kinda corny but they were good at explaining basic home decorating without going over the edge. I miss not seeing scrapbooking shows on any more too.
Think Happy Thoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 07:51 PM   #35
Jrock
Platinum Member

I'm not sure I'd like a lot of craft type shows. I agree that the repeats are getting ridiculous. I love HH and John Giddings show....ha, more for him that the actual content of the show.:-) I love Mike Holmes, but the repeats are killing me! I WISH I had DIY on the cable system, but we don't, not the tier we have anyway.
Jrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 08:00 PM   #36
staci
Topaz Member

Forgot about Sharri and Matt - I like the step by step even if it was too corny sometimes.

I love the real estate stuff but I would like an update show - it would be cheap to do - just follow up on the old houses sold or renovations done how it held up.

I have a sneaking feeling that some of these staging fixes would have Mike Holmes in a fit for short-cuts!

I would like a sewing show myself. There was an article in today paper about ow hard it is to find good fabric stores with a large selection. There are craft fabrics and decor fabrics but little for fashion fabrics.

I am fortunate to have a few good fabric stores nearby and I am doing some projects right now. I would love some ideas on window treatments! Something different and fun
staci is offline   Reply With Quote