Go Back   Home Talk Entertainment Forums > Home Talk > Home Talk

Home Talk General chatting. Talk about whatever you want!

Sub-Forum: HTE Games- Entertain yourself with the games played here at HTE

Old 11-28-2010, 09:17 PM   #1
*Ann*
Elite Member

Default What do you wear to a "Celebration of Life" service?

Do the normal rules apply for funeral wear?

I am going to a service tomorrow for a friend's late DH. They are calling it a celebration of life service. It will be at the church.

I don't know what I am supposed to wear.
*Ann* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 09:18 PM   #2
kathryn
Presidential Member

I would dress as I would for a funeral visitation.
kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 09:23 PM   #3
*Ann*
Elite Member

Thanks. That's what I was thinking, but I wasn't sure.
Old 11-28-2010, 09:24 PM   #4
zoned247
Platinum Member

Yes, I think so too.
zoned247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 09:26 PM   #5
BuckeyeGirl
Elite Member

I don't think so....it's a "celebration". It sounds like they don't want the typical scene. Not sure what I'd wear though. Can you call around and see what other attendees are wearing?
BuckeyeGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 09:31 PM   #6
*Ann*
Elite Member

Hmmm....this is why I posted this question here....I am not sure.

I'll text my friend to see what she thinks...
Old 11-28-2010, 09:45 PM   #7
Nancy in ME

I wouldn't wear typical funeral attire to anything called a "celebration". Nice pants and a pretty blouse or sweater should be fine, I would think.
Old 11-28-2010, 10:01 PM   #8
momto4
Royal Member

I think funeral attire. At least that is what I wear. I was to one recently...just lastweek as a matter of fact...everyone one was in black.
momto4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 10:09 PM   #9
HappyGoLucky
Gold Member

Ann,

Dress the way you would to celebrate. Black is not necessary. Maybe a black/dark skirt or pants and and nice blouse or sweater with a regal scarf! Celebrate - love the life that was lost.....
HappyGoLucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 12:08 AM   #10
xntric1
Elite Presidential Member

My SIL wore a red polka dot dress -her hubby's fav- to his Celebration of Life service. All the 'main' men wore one of his bow ties. The priest used the F-word! It was a celebration of his life, to the fullest. You could have showed up in jeans, prision clothing or a custom made suit and not felt out of place. (I say prision clothing because Larry spent many years ministering to young men on death row.)

I think a lot has to do with the personality of the deceased. If this is really a memorial or funeral service with a new name attached to it - I would go more traditional. (This is where your knowledge of the deceased and the family comes into play.) I have been to C of L services that were both - truley celebrations of the persons life and they are usually more relaxed and less somber (in general), but in ways more meaningful and intense (the service was about the person) - not some generic feeling funeral ~insert name here~ service. I have been to some C of L services that were nothing more than a funeral wrapped in a new name.
Old 11-29-2010, 12:53 AM   #11
Mimilee
Double Platinum Member

In the area where I live, the term "celebration of life" is being used more and more, instead of "funeral." IMO, it's simply saying the family wants to celebrate the life of the deceased, remembering the good times, instead of focusing on their death. When I've attended a C of L, or funeral, I've noticed all types of dress. casual and dressy. I think whatever you choose to wear will be fine.
Mimilee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 10:05 AM   #12
kayhil

I wouldn't dress in black myself for a celebration of life service!! At one of my friends mom's everyone wore a purple shirt since that was her favorite color. At another we went to not long ago everyone wore something bright blue.
kayhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 10:23 AM   #13
buginthelowcountry

Well, when we had my LH's service, my mom sent one of my SIL's shopping with me. I don't know what Mom thought I was going to pick out to wear... Les loved for me to dress to the 9's... and I must say, at that particular time, I was looking pretty hot! SIL was in her dowdy good girl phase... but I wasn't going there. I was dressing for my sweet Les, and not anybody else! For the visitation, I wore a dark blue very fitted sleeveless dress with a cut out eyelet hem. Oh... Les would have greatly approved... The dress for the service the next day was black, but again, fitted... short... kind of a party type dress, with thin straps... I did buy a black sweater to wear with it, for Mom's sake... or she might have been next! I know my LH's mother thought I was a huzzy... but I didn't care. It was about him and me, not them! Heck, the night of the visitation, before we left the funeral home, and it was just family there, I did a little booty dance for Les! (I thought it was kind of too bad that his momma and ex wife missed that!)

I think for a Celebration of Life, it SHOULD be about who the person was... were they dignified and always well put together? A loud, boisterous, colorful person? A biker dude? Wear what feels right.

When I'm gone... I'm going to be cremated... I want a simple get together here at the house... Depending on the weather, a cookout, or just finger food type stuff. I don't think there are enough pics of me that I'd want seen in the past few years, but "they" could do one of those slide shows of my life... to play on the TV in the living room... I don't want a bunch of wailing and gnashing of teeth. I DO want my family and friends to miss me, but I want them to be happy for who I was, what I meant to them... I aim to be in a better place when I leave here... therefore, I want happy faces! And folks to be dressed in jeans and T's, or whatever they're comfortable in. (*"*)
buginthelowcountry is offline   Reply With Quote