Go Back   Home Talk Entertainment Forums > Home Talk > Home Talk

Home Talk General chatting. Talk about whatever you want!

Sub-Forum: HTE Games- Entertain yourself with the games played here at HTE

Old 09-17-2010, 01:10 PM   #1
coffeeluvr
Topaz Member

Default handing out Halloween Candy

Do all of you hand out candy on Halloween? I'm getting to the point in my life where I just don't want to deal with it. My kids are grown and there are only a handful of kids that come around.

should I:
just suck it up and hand out candy for an hour then turn off the lights?

hide in the back part of the house with the lights off in the front of the house?

or ????
coffeeluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 01:33 PM   #2
Wearymom
Elite Member

We do, can't imagine not doing it, we have over 100 who come here. I have 3 kids still living here, I make them hand out the candy. When they are gone, I may be tempted like you, but would be tough unless we weren't home.
Wearymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 01:39 PM   #3
ShyAnne'sMom
Double Platinum Member

This will only be our second Halloween in this neighborhood. Last year was a lot of fun. We get some real cuties including DGD and her little friend.
ShyAnne'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 01:43 PM   #4
whatscookin
Elite Presidential Member

We'll hand out candy. We live in a dark cul de sac and in years past nobody would venture down our direction, which was very disappointing. In the past couple of years however, lots of kids have moved down into here, so finally we get some "customers" coming by. DH really gets into it, I like the leftovers (LOL), and it's fun to see the costumes that come by. I give out the good stuff (chocolate) too, which is fun for all.
whatscookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 01:54 PM   #5
Fran
Presidential Member

Since the mall started having trick or treat there as well as several churches having trunk or treat (out of car trunks in the parking lot), we have very few little ones. We do get some older ones, but they are always so polite. Never know how much candy to get. The older ones like different candy from the little ones.
Fran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 01:56 PM   #6
Fender
Presidential Member

Nope. We don't get trick-or-treaters.
We take our kiddo to the mall that does a whole halloween party, and all the businesses hand out candy or trinkets. Its fun for him.
Fender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 02:15 PM   #7
ksund
Elite Member

We live in the country, in the 6 years we've been out here we've had 6 trick or treaters and they've all grown up now. I do miss trick or treaters, we used to live on one of the busiest streets for trick or treaters. I take dd back to our old neighborhood every year and our next door neighbor always fixes up a huge goody bag for her every year too.
ksund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 02:21 PM   #8
dragonlady
Topaz Member

I used to get a bunch of trick or treaters, but they all grew up. I didn't hand out candy last year because my pommie isn't very nice to strangers and he barks like crazy when somebody comes to the door.
Gonna leave the lights off and just not deal with it.
dragonlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 02:47 PM   #9
Comingbacktolife
Triple Platinum Member

'Haven't had trick or treaters in at least 12 years
It's been so long that I don't even pretend the candy is for the kids, anymore
Comingbacktolife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 02:48 PM   #10
CaSeYmOm

Nope. No trick or treaters.
Old 09-17-2010, 02:50 PM   #11
ambercat

I like the idea of handing out candy, but it's a pain in the butt because my dog goes crazy and I have to keep him leashed in the living room. Then all these schoolkids come by and expect me to recognize them, but I don't because I am terrible at remembering faces. I wish i could give them the candy without actually interacting with them. That sounds awful, but it's part of being a shy person.
ambercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 02:56 PM   #12
Nancy in ME

We stopped a few years ago.
Old 09-17-2010, 03:12 PM   #13
shellshome
Platinum Member

We used to pass out candy but now that our nieces and nephew are older we go over there and trick or treat with them. It is alot of fun!
shellshome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 03:13 PM   #14
LyndyLou
Silver Member

No little ones in our area, I stopped buying candy awhile ago.
LyndyLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 03:16 PM   #15
ckgrammie
Platinum Member

No we have not handed out candy in several years. We live 2.1 miles back in our development. They only go trick or treating the the front part of the development.
ckgrammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 03:36 PM   #16
TX Michelle
Double Platinum Member

If you don't have your porch light on in my neighborhood, no one comes, so if I didn't want to hand out candy, I would just leave the lights out and the blinds closed and then be in whatever part of the house I wanted.

I always hand out candy until the kids stop coming. I have a halloween part to go to this year, first time in years and years and it might fall on the night the kids go out...
TX Michelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 03:49 PM   #17
Marina

I love seeing all the kids in their costumes. The little ones are so cute. All the ones who come here are polite and say thank you.
Marina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 08:25 PM   #18
Donna-50
Platinum Member

I love giving out candy on Halloween. We don't get that many kids any more tho unless I don't buy that much candy.
Donna-50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 08:36 PM   #19
JoW
Triple Platinum Member

My street is busy with no sidewalk or street lights on my side of the street. My driveway is long, curved, and so dark I have a hard time finding it at night. I have never gotten a trick or treater.

JoW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 09:07 PM   #20
Sragata

We bought candy last year and had just a few come. I don't think I will do it this year.
Sragata is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 10:19 PM   #21
Mr.Design
Administrator

Some come by here... I always hand out candy. You just have to remember back to when you were that age and the disappointment you felt when a house was all dark!
Mr.Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 10:25 PM   #22
LeftyLou
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Design View Post
Some come by here... I always hand out candy. You just have to remember back to when you were that age and the disappointment you felt when a house was all dark!
Yup.
Do it for the kids.
If you don't get kids, fine. But if kids do come around, suck it up for an hour or so.
LeftyLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 11:03 PM   #23
alpiner1
Elite Member

We live in the country on a dark road so we don't . Our son & his family decorate their home inside & out complete with lights . One year he had a manequin dressed in a white wispy dress floating across the livingroom windows , operated by computer . Outside were tombstones lit up by a black light & eeiry music . His house has been pictured in the newspaper .
alpiner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 03:38 AM   #24
NYCgal
Royal Presidential Member

I just put a table with a bowl of candy on the back landing.
Some years kiddies go trick or treating in the bldg; some years they are sated w/ the lobby party.

I go out almost every Halloween and partay in Greenwich Village, home o the bestest adult party of the season.

NYCgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 06:59 AM   #25
Charm
Topaz Member

We haven't handed out candy for the past five years. Our house sits back off of a very busy road, so it isn't safe to walk on, therefore we don't get trick or treaters. No need to buy candy.

If I were you, I'd just turn off my porch lights, and any lights in the front of my home, and not answer the door. There is certainly no harm in that. If your heart isn't in it, don't do it. Enjoy a quiet night instead. I certainly don't see anything wrong with that.
Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 09:24 AM   #26
zoned247
Platinum Member

Lots of kids here - I spend a fortune on candy. I like to sit on the front porch for a couple of hours watching them and handing out candy. My favorite holiday - don't need to cook or clean my house or buy gifts - just fun.
zoned247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 05:34 PM   #27
Pipsterdoo
Platinum Member

I haven't had more than five or six kids for years. I live in a very subdivision on the isolated side of the road. On the other side is massive subdivision with hundreds of homes. I used to hang out all kinds of decorations and got tired of nobody showing up.

I have been to the two DG's Hallowe'en thing at their school. It's always fun except for the boys whose parents let them run wild all over the place running into people and things and generally acting obnoxious.
Pipsterdoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 05:52 PM   #28
cathyb
Triple Platinum Member

The kids in our neighborhood go to parties (mall, church, etc) but some do come by to show us their costumes. We love it!

If you don't want to hassel with it, why not put out a bowl with some treats in it so that those who do come can just help themselves? Then, you just go about your business.
cathyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 05:53 PM   #29
coffeeluvr
Topaz Member

Can't put a bowl out with treats, because the first set of kids to come around would take everything.
coffeeluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 06:10 PM   #30
cathyb
Triple Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeeluvr View Post
Can't put a bowl out with treats, because the first set of kids to come around would take everything.
Don't put a huge bag of candy out. Put a sign over the bowl to only take a few pieces and refill a bit at a time. When you are out, you are out and lights go off.
cathyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 06:49 PM   #31
Critter
Silver Member

We always have open door Halloween....My sisters and their kids have always came and this was their starting point...so now my neices and nephews come with their kids....we not only had out candy to the kiddies we give out nacho cheese and chips to adults. I love Halloween and will be sad the day no one comes by
Critter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 07:15 PM   #32
impatien
Gold Member

We've stopped. I just leave the outside lights off and people know not to come. All of the kids in our neighborhood have grown up now anyway.
impatien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 07:45 PM   #33
crowjane

I do it in reverse.
I take treats to the kids in the hood, I knock on their doors.
There aren't many little kids in my area and it got to be only older kids (16 and up) were showing up. The younger ones seem to go to a mall or private parties and really I think that's safest.
So Now I go see the neighborhood kids before the sun goes down.
Close up for the night and call it good.
crowjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 07:53 PM   #34
SueMI
Double Platinum Member

When we had kids next door, I would always put together a special bag for each of them. Many times, I'd go and deliver the bags to them because they would go into town instead of going down our street. They have since moved.

Hardly any kids come down our street. I think the most we've ever had are 6.

...and guess who has to eat the left-over candy?

If I'm home, I"ll probably leave the light off. If I'm home, I'll be home alone. I really don't want to answer the door with no one else home.
SueMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 09:59 PM   #35
guest1

I pass out candy, but get very few trick-or-treaters. There's no sidewalks and no street lights, so it's not as conducive an atmosphere as some other areas of town.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:41 PM   #36
MsP
Elite Member

I am already eating the candy I bought as I know there should not be many. Too many private parties for the kids and to keep them off the streets. Some close to me will be here but turn the light off at 9 PM.
MsP is offline   Reply With Quote