Go Back   Home Talk Entertainment Forums > Home Talk > Home Talk

Home Talk General chatting. Talk about whatever you want!

Sub-Forum: HTE Games- Entertain yourself with the games played here at HTE

Old 08-13-2010, 10:26 PM   #1
RJ-TX
Platinum Member

Default Anyone with Monovision Contact Lenses?

Today I had my eye exam/checkup for new glasses and possibly to try contact lenses. I was never serious about wearing contacts before and always told myself it would be a waste of money if I didn't follow through. The doc tells me I have monovision and will only have to wear 1 contact in my right eye. Right now he has me wearing a long-distance contact in each eye to get used to them. And I'll go back in 5 days to see about the monovision contact. That kind of sounds neat, only have to wear 1 contact and also probably less expensive too. Has anyone done this? Was your vision okay doing this? Far and near? They have such cute eyeglass frames these days so even though my vision prescription didn't change much, I'd like new glasses if I afford this right now. If not now, then a little later. Eye exam didn't cost a whole lot because Hubby has vision insurance through his work. Or should I forget the contacts and stick to eyeglasses?
RJ-TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 11:16 PM   #2
DoxieLover
Platinum Member

I tried them, but could not adjust to them. I was a long-time contact wearer, but once I needed the bifocals, the dr. tried putting me in monovision. One for near and one for far.

When I was driving, my eyes would just not work together and shift back and forth--if I looked up in the mirror, it was the wrong eye for distance and if I looked at the speedometer, it would be blurry. So as a result I am wearing glasses full time.

Hope you have better luck than I did!
DoxieLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 12:58 AM   #3
MarblesLongGone
Royal Presidential Member

As someone whose eyes are radically different, I spent years using only one eye. This means that you lose all depth perception. I had learned to turn off my right eye years ago. It was an accident that I reactivated it. (They messed up my glasses, and did not properly make the lens for my left eye, so it fogged up with scratches to a ridiculous degree, so I HAD to use the right eye.) When my eyes are too many diopeters off of each other, I get insane headaches, and have to close one eye or the other. I am nearsighted. When I read, I take off my glasses, and have to close one eye or the other, as I cannot focus them both together. It would drive me mad. Don't invest too much in this.
MarblesLongGone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 03:31 AM   #4
coffeeluvr
Topaz Member

I tried that because I have stimitism (sp?) but I couldn't get used to it! Good luck!
coffeeluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 06:03 AM   #5
Shamrock
Elite Member

I've worn corrective lenses since elementary school and contacts since they've been available to the general public. I have a lens implant in my left eye due to a cataract. That eye now has almost perfect vision and is used for far vision. I wear a contact in the right eye which corrects for near vision. I had absolutely no problem adjusting to monovision since the left eye was not being used for many years.

For the person who has been using both eyes all along, it takes about 2 weeks to
adjust to monovision. I have nothing negative to say about monovision and have never had a problem seeing what I need/want to see. I have always hated wearing glasses - they are so uncomfortable. I know several people who have monovision correction and they all are very happy with it. I get an eye exam every year and 12 contacts. A year's worth of correction costs about $50.00.
Shamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 09:10 AM   #6
still
Topaz Member

I wear contacts in both eyes - but can see to read the computer as well as mid and far ranges. The eye dr and I had a major disagreement on this as he said it couldn't be done. When he finally gave me the correct prescription and walked in the room to me reading a magazine with no reading glasses and I was able to read the chart on the wall as well as posters on the wall he was flabbergasted. He kept telling me it was NOT possible for someone my age to do that.
still is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 09:53 AM   #7
mojen
Platinum Member

Before I had Lasix, I had monovision contacts, it took me a bit to get adjusted, but it worked out great! They also used the monovision technique when they preformed the Lasix procedure...
mojen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 10:20 AM   #8
Tootie5347
Double Platinum Member

I never could get used to mono vision contact lenses. I wear bifocal lenses and they are terrific - but there are many different techniques for bifocal lenses so you may have to try different brands/models.
Tootie5347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 10:21 AM   #9
coastgal
Platinum Member

As someone stated above you do not have depth preception with monovision. Some people can adjust but most cannot. They have contacts that correct near and distance an inbetween vision, having a senior moment and cannot remember the name of these lens. I wore them when I worked since I used a lot of equiptment that require quick distance and near and in between.
I could never wear monovision contacts.
coastgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 10:59 AM   #10
ShyAnne'sMom
Double Platinum Member

I tried it for a month of so and couldn't adjust well. I do know a couple of people that do this and are very happy with it. I'd guess that for all of us that it doesn't work for, there are a whole lot more that it does work for.
Give it a try. Your eye dr. should give you all the free types of lenses that you need to try it. It'll require going back to see him/her several times.
ShyAnne'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 11:12 AM   #11
Shamrock
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastgal View Post
As someone stated above you do not have depth preception with monovision. Some people can adjust but most cannot. They have contacts that correct near and distance an inbetween vision, having a senior moment and cannot remember the name of these lens. I wore them when I worked since I used a lot of equiptment that require quick distance and near and in between.
I could never wear monovision contacts.
I've had monovision for 16 years and I have not lost my depth perception according to my Optomologist.

From an optomology site:

Disadvantages of monovision include a lack of visual sharpness. Persons who require very sharp vision due to a hobby or occupation may not be pleased with monovision results. Another drawback of monovision is that some patients experience decreased depth perception or blurred vision in the eye that focuses on near vision in certain situations.

Keep in mind that we all lose depth perception to some degree as we age.

I only know 1 person who could not adapt to monovision.
Old 08-14-2010, 11:15 AM   #12
sunnigrl
Elite Member

I had cataract surgery in March on both eyes (who knew I had cararacts..not me until I went for my yearly exam)

Instead of putting in regular lens, he did monovision. Right is distance and left is close. Would I do it again? No. If I had to do it over, I would have had regular lens put in and just wear my glasses all the time like I was used to.

I don't need glasses to drive now and I can see my computer screen both here and at work great. The problem is..I can't see up close to read a book or my phone screen, or labels on products. I am constantly putting on glasses to read, taking them off to do everything else. Drives me insane.
sunnigrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 11:21 AM   #13
Shamrock
Elite Member

Sunnigrl - You would need reading glasses even without the monovision lens. The implant lenses do not give you perfect vision.
Old 08-14-2010, 11:31 AM   #14
sunnigrl
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamrock View Post
Sunnigrl - You would need reading glasses even without the monovision lens. The implant lenses do not give you perfect vision.
I know.

What I'm saying is that I would rather wear glasses all the time rather than putting them on and taking them off constantly. Therefore, in hind sight (lol) I wish I had just gone with regular lens.
sunnigrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 11:42 AM   #15
RJ-TX
Platinum Member

Thanks for the input everyone. I'll try the distance ones for a few days to see how well I just like contacts but I'll probably go ahead and try the monovision since I've come this far. And I'll also get some new glasses in case it doesn't work out. I really knew nothing about monovision so I really like all your opinions and stories.
Old 08-14-2010, 11:49 AM   #16
Shamrock
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ-TX View Post
Thanks for the input everyone. I'll try the distance ones for a few days to see how well I just like contacts but I'll probably go ahead and try the monovision since I've come this far. And I'll also get some new glasses in case it doesn't work out. I really knew nothing about monovision so I really like all your opinions and stories.
Don't order the glasses until you have tried the monovision lenses. Wearing monovision is training your brain as to which eye is seeing what.
That is why it takes people 2 weeks to a month to adjust. Once your eye is trained to monovision, your glasses won't work unless they have the same RX as your monovision contacts. (In other words, putting on regular glasses, your brain would need to readjust to seeing normal again.)
Old 08-14-2010, 12:27 PM   #17
RJ-TX
Platinum Member

Thanks Shamrock for the advice. I hadn't thought that far ahead so I will wait on the glasses.