Go Back   Home Talk Entertainment Forums > Home Talk > Home Talk

Home Talk General chatting. Talk about whatever you want!

Sub-Forum: HTE Games- Entertain yourself with the games played here at HTE

Old 08-10-2010, 06:43 PM   #1
chijim
Elite Presidential Member

Default Did your family ever buy the weekly piece of china, etc- from the grocery store?

You bought the featured piece of the week very cheaply if you spent X amt.

My mom bought a set of encyclopedias, porcelain china, flatware.

We used to get the streak knives from the Shell gas stations.

Last edited by chijim; 08-10-2010 at 07:54 PM. Reason: Wrong gas station
chijim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 06:58 PM   #2
DoxieLover
Platinum Member

OMG--how funny! Let me tell you---I have been married 33 years--
ALL of the following came from the weekly grocery store promos.
My first set of towels,
my first set of pots and pans--still using them
My China
My silverware

That's all I can think of right now. I am from the Chicago area, too, Jim. I wonder if this a regional thing since no one else has responded?
DoxieLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 07:02 PM   #3
always1stepbehind
Presidential Member

I remember my mom getting that stuff...you had to have so many pages of stamps to get certain items...
always1stepbehind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 07:05 PM   #4
*Ann*
Elite Member

Yes. I still have my Gram's china that she got from the grocery store in the 60s or 70s. My sister got encyclopedias in the 80s from the grocery store...Funk and Wagnalls...I believe.
*Ann* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 07:06 PM   #5
K@
Presidential Member

I remember my mom getting towels or drinking glasses in the box of laundry detergent.
She also used S & H Green Stamps to get all sorts of stuff.
I remember driving across country and stopping at Sinclair gas stations and we would get a blow-up dinosaur toy with every fill-up.
I remember picking out jelly in the grocery store based on the drinking glass it came in.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:09 PM   #6
micheleinca
Platinum Member

I remember the offers at the grocery stores. I don't remember my Mom getting them, though. We did collect Blue Chip Stamps and S&H Green Stamps. We kids were responsible for pasting them in the books and sometimes we kids got to pick something out of the catalog for them.
micheleinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 07:13 PM   #7
jimzmum
Double Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chijim View Post
You bought the featured piece of the week very cheaply if you spent X amt.

My mom bought a set of encyclopedias, porcelain china, flatware.

We used to get the streak knives from the Sinclair gas stations.
Yes, we did. Mother bought a lovely set of Blue Willow.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:15 PM   #8
Pipsterdoo
Platinum Member

Collecting the stamps and the grocery store things were different. When you collected all the stamps you needed you redeemed them at the store that carried all the junk you could pick up.

The dishes were strictly a thing at the grocery store. I remember getting a set but I apparently got rid of them years ago. I don't recall if I got anything else.

It used to be fun to go to the store once a week and buy a place setting of dishes or other stuff.

My grandmother died in 1965. She had a pretty set of Noritake that she had bought like that at the grocery store. I got that when she died (and my sister took the beautiful china, the rat) and my DD has it. She never uses it, but she's got it. Years ago when I was moving from Dallas back to St. Louis, the packers for the company were women. One of the ladies said she'd bought a set of that too, so I bought it from her (for virtually nothing) so now there's this huge set of dishes packed away at DD's.
Pipsterdoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 07:17 PM   #9
bifey
Topaz Member

Yep, my mom did from the local A&P, in fact she still has it. I think it was made by Nortika.

This home is blessed with family, friends, love, laughter, and pets.

bifey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 07:24 PM   #10
LeftyLou
Elite Member

I bought a few Winnie the Pooh books at the supermarket, one a week. First book my daughter ever read, started it in the store, I had to buy it so she could finish it.

I remember S&H Greenstamps. I used to love to lick them and paste them. I got a plastic car track toy.
LeftyLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 07:33 PM   #11
alter ego
Gold Member

Yep, my mom used to buy the dishes in the store. She had the wheat patterned one and one that had a blue modern square design on it. I have no idea what happened to them. She used to get the encyclopedias also. Winn Dixie used to have some good bargains like that. They have promos now, but not as good a bargain as back then.
alter ego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 07:41 PM   #12
Comingbacktolife
Triple Platinum Member

I bought dishes, at Safeway, in the 60's. There are still two or three steak knives, left, from Shell. In fact, I think my favorite steak knives were sold at Von's, years ago.
Comingbacktolife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 07:43 PM   #13
coastgal
Platinum Member

Our Piggly Wiggly does the stamps electronically so there is no more lick and stick. You can use the points for groc also.
coastgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 07:47 PM   #14
DeniseK
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K@ View Post
I remember picking out jelly in the grocery store based on the drinking glass it came in.
I remember this too!!! I remember store promos but I don't remember my mom getting into it.

What I do remember was how much she would stretch her "grocery money". It seems that she bought everything in the world by "taking a little" out of her grocery money. To this day I still don't understand that but I guess I have more disposable income than she did.
DeniseK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 07:47 PM   #15
JoW
Triple Platinum Member

I'm still using whats left of a 12 place setting collection my parents got at a Gulf gas station in Pass Christian, Mississippi in 1967. Its down to 3 dinner plates, 5 salad plates, 8 saucers, and 5 cups.

After I got out of school but before I found my 1st real job (1979) boyfriend (later DH) and I collected china at a grocery store, but it wasn't by the week, it was by total grocery receipts. $100 spent on food got you a dinner plate, a saucer, and a cup. We got 5 of those. I use them when the 1968 set is in the dish washer.

JoW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 07:59 PM   #16
chijim

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoW View Post
After I got out of school but before I found my 1st real job (1979) boyfriend (later DH) and I collected china at a grocery store, but it wasn't by the week, it was by total grocery receipts. $100 spent on food got you a dinner plate, a saucer, and a cup. We got 5 of those. I use them when the 1968 set is in the dish washer.

Didn't they offer a piece like a gravy boat, completer set for sale weekly for a really reasonable price?

It funny nostalgia now to to think of how people bought boxes of soap for towels!
Old 08-10-2010, 08:06 PM   #17
Wearymom
Elite Member

MIL gave us a set that she did that with. That's my good china and has yet to be used. It's still packed from moving, I have no place to put them.
Wearymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 09:34 PM   #18
Sragata

My daddy did. We had a huge set of dishes. I think there were at least 24 of each piece (dinner plates, salad, dessert, cereal bowls, cups etc.) and then a couple of sets of the serving bowls, sugar, creamer, platters. My DDIL has them now.
They are cream colored pottery with dark brown and blue stripes around the edge.
Sragata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 09:41 PM   #19
RJ-TX
Platinum Member

My mom got me a set from the grocery store doing the piece a week thing. Mine were white and a blue geometric design and I used them til about 2 years ago so they lasted a good long while. They were my "everyday" dishes. They might be like Alter Ego's.
RJ-TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 09:42 PM   #20
Nancy in ME

My mother did that back in the 70's, a set of flowered stoneware in brown/gold/orange = the official colors of the 1970s. LOL She kept them, maybe, 5 years and then put them out in a yard sale.

She also got a set of cookware the same way. Teflon. Also short-lived.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:54 PM   #21
KnitWit

My original silverware came from A&P, one week at a time. My first set of pots and pans were Revere Ware, a gift for opening a Sunoco or Sinclair gas credit card. Remember when Sears had Thrifty Mondays? Each weekend they would announce Thrifty Monday sales and I would go there on my way to work.

I still use some of the serving pieces from the A&P stuff, some of the Revere Ware and many of the Sears' items. I'll be married 35 years in September.
Old 08-10-2010, 10:15 PM   #22
Mimilee
Double Platinum Member

I have some of the dishes my Mom got with buying "Jewel Tea" back in the 40's. I also remember her getting towels in detergent and glassware in oatmeal. I also remember the jelly drinking glasses and picking out the ones I wanted!.
I have bought both dishes and silverware weekly at the grocery store. Through the years, most of the dishes have broken. But, I still had 24 place settings of white china, with all the serving pieces, that I gave to DD#2 last year. I'm still using the silverware I got weekly about 8 years ago. One of our local grocery stores is having the weekly silverware thing going now, but I'm not getting it!
Mimilee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 10:16 PM   #23
momto4
Royal Member

The only thing I remember mom getting was from Fisher Fazios. A set of plates.

I remember she had these stamps she saved.

She had a stack of them...been saving for a set of 8 plates.

We got a snow storm...winter of 76 I believe...feet upon feet of snow.

It was so bad my dad did not work....and that had to be bad, as dad worked regardless.

Well, the stamps expired "that day" and mom wanted her dishes. She begged dad to go buy them. He did.

Mind you, he had attempted to drive to work, and got stuck in a snow bank (we lived on a back dirt road....dad's boss lived a 2 miles down that same road...this was before cellphones and all that. It was a very rural road...not many houses. Dad got stuck and had to walk to his boss's house to get a tractor to pull himself out of the snow bank.)

Well mom insisted dad go buy her these dishes...so he did...took the snowmobile to get them!

THEN of course we were only allowed to look at those dishes. They sat int he cupboard many many many years. I think mom finally took them to goodwill! LOL
momto4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 10:21 PM   #24
nerak
Topaz Member

Oh yes, my mom did all of those things! I am still using the silverware she got that way. I love it and it has lasted wonderfully. I'm not sure about dinnerware, but she did have some wheat dishes, she may have gotten that way. I have pots and pans I got that way. They have lasted 30 years and are all still in good shape except for one did have teh handle come off.
Dishtowels and glasses out of soap and oatmeal. Oh yes.
She also did all the cereal rewards things. You saved box tops and sent them in. I remember she got some fun kids bowls for my kids, a Kool-aid plastic pitcher and various other things doing that.

Oh and greenstamps too. I loved going to the greenstamp store!
nerak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 11:34 PM   #25
JoW
Triple Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chijim View Post
Didn't they offer a piece like a gravy boat, completer set for sale weekly for a really reasonable price?...
Yes, but I didn't get any of that stuff. I didn't need it.

I did get some glasses that came in boxes of laundry detergent. And I got the glasses (not plastic, real glass) that were cheap with a Coke at McDonalds.

JoW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 12:08 AM   #26
Donna-50
Platinum Member

My mom had a set of dishes that she got at the grocery store and she must have had them for 20 years or more. The only reason that she got rid of them is because they were the ironstone and heavy.

I remember buying my daughter a clock radio and a few other things with green stamps in 1989 for Christmas because I was low on money. She still has the clock radio because it has one of the dual alarms that you can't find any more.
Donna-50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 09:37 AM   #27
mom-mom-6
Elite Member

I remember getting towels and the steak knives. My exhusband worked at a Shell station in the evenings, he was in the Army, and we had the steak knives for years. We always shopped with green stamps. I got tons of baby supplies when I was pregnant with first child.
mom-mom-6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 11:34 AM   #28
DeniseK
Platinum Member

I love these stories!
DeniseK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 11:48 AM   #29
dragonlady
Topaz Member

My Grandmama got a HUGE set of the grocery store china. BabySis has it now.
I still have the "jelly glasses". My guys inhale PB&Js so I buy the jelly in the glasses.
dragonlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 12:29 PM   #30
Glory!
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K@ View Post
I remember my mom getting towels or drinking glasses in the box of laundry detergent.
She also used S & H Green Stamps to get all sorts of stuff.
We got juice glasses out of OATMEAL - can't remember the name, came in a round box, but NOT Quacker.

I had to chuckle about the jelly glass comment. My mother did that too! You had to get 1 of each cartoon character, etc. We kids LOVED them.

And when I got married, YES I bought the china! LOL - we were at a yard sale over the weekend and I saw that exact pattern for sale. I wish now I had bought them just to have as a memory of the past.
Glory! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 12:32 PM   #31
chijim

Quote:
And I got the glasses (not plastic, real glass) that were cheap with a Coke at McDonalds.
Back in the early 80's, my sister acquired a nice collection of glass Christmas-themed glasses from Mickey D's that way.
Old 08-11-2010, 12:34 PM   #32
spryte
Double Platinum Member

I bought the Corning French White collection of casserole dishes from Vons. They had a new piece very week. Now I'm soooo bored with it... I really want to get rid of all of it and get some cool new colorful stuff!
spryte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 12:57 PM   #33
NYCgal
Royal Presidential Member

I know the Empress and Nana used to keep chullins bizzy licking Plaid Stamps into books fer...A+P and Bohack yet haven't foggiest idea what either got with 'em..........

NYCgal is offline   Reply With Quote