Go Back   Home Talk Entertainment Forums > Home Talk > Home Talk

Home Talk General chatting. Talk about whatever you want!

Sub-Forum: HTE Games- Entertain yourself with the games played here at HTE

Old 08-03-2010, 08:18 AM   #1
guest1

Default Can I freeze corn, leaving it unshucked?

I really like baking my corn still in the husks. Can I freeze it, unshucked, and bake it later this winter, still in the husks?

Somehow, I don't think I can.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:52 AM   #2
CaSeYmOm

Actually, I think you can. I think my step mom did that last year.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:52 AM   #3
CaSeYmOm

http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf62502300.tip.html

Quote:
Corn-On-The-Cob:
  • Blanched: Clean and prepare cobs. Water-blanch small ears (1 1/4 inches or less in diameter) for 7 minutes, medium ear for 9 minutes, and larger ears (over 1 1/2 inches in diameter) for 11 minutes. Cool promptly and drain. Transfer to suitable containers, seal and freeze.
  • Unblanched: This is the easiest and fastest way to freeze corn-on-the-cob. Leaves husks on the cobs. Place the ears in a single layer on trays and cookie sheets or just place them directly in the freezer in a single layer. Freeze until firm (48 hours) and place them in large freezer-grade plastic bags for long-term freezing.
  • Boilable Bags: Clean and husk cobs and pack them in boilable bags. Add seasonings if desired, press out air and seal. Blanch bags for 5 minutes on either side. Cool immediately, pat bags dry and freeze.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:55 AM   #4
CaSeYmOm

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Q-A/CornFreezing.htm
Old 08-03-2010, 09:26 AM   #5
kayhil
Elite Presidential Member

My friend does that all the time. Works really good.
kayhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 09:37 AM   #6
SalsaLady
Triple Platinum Member

I've tried it and we didn't care for it. In fact I've tried several ways to freeze it and the way we do it now works best for us.
SalsaLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 09:50 AM   #7
MoorePiggy
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalsaLady View Post
I've tried it and we didn't care for it. In fact I've tried several ways to freeze it and the way we do it now works best for us.
Please explain which way works best for you. I've tried freezing corn on the cob and it always comes out watery and mushy. What am I doing wrong?
MoorePiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 10:25 AM   #8
SalsaLady
Triple Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoorePiggy View Post
Please explain which way works best for you. I've tried freezing corn on the cob and it always comes out watery and mushy. What am I doing wrong?
I clean it real good and let the water run while cleaning. I also use a veggie brush to get some of the silks off and cut both ends off. Try not to leave it into the water while cleaning.

We like corn that's between the stage of good, but not to the point it's almost real meaty. I do blanch it for 6 to 7 minutes and take it out and put it in ice water. Let it set in the ice water until it's cold. I bought a large dish drainer to use just for this. After the corn is cold in the ice water take it out and put it into the drainer. When I think a lot of the water is off of it I either cut it off the cob with my electric knife or bag it for corn on the cob. It's real easy to do. I put about two cups of corn cut off into freezer bags too.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:30 AM   #9
SalsaLady
Triple Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoorePiggy View Post

I don't let mine set in water any longer than necessary. When I get ready to fix the frozen corn on the cob I boil my water with a little sugar in it and cook it for about nine minutes. Same goes for the corn cut off and I don't use as much water.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:49 AM   #10
mainer1
Platinum Member

I wash and then freeze in the husks. I like to take out of freezer, pull some of the huck back and grill. Yummy !
mainer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 11:22 PM   #11
DoxieLover
Platinum Member

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainer1 View Post
I wash and then freeze in the husks. I like to take out of freezer, pull some of the huck back and grill. Yummy !
HUH?? How do you wash it and freeze it in the husks? Do you strip it, wash and then rewrap it with the husks? Sorry, I don't get it.
DoxieLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 12:40 PM   #12
guest1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoxieLover View Post
HUH?? How do you wash it and freeze it in the husks? Do you strip it, wash and then rewrap it with the husks? Sorry, I don't get it.

I don't understand either.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:03 PM   #13
Donna-50
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoxieLover View Post
Me either. I have always blanched them.
Donna-50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 01:03 PM   #14
RJ-TX
Platinum Member

For the 1st time, we froze some corn with the husks on and they are great. My MIL's hubby told us he's done this for years. We just leave a thin layer of husk on and freeze. Then when you are ready to cook, just take the husk off, clean and cook as usual. I don't think we cleaned it before.
RJ-TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 01:31 PM   #15
TX Michelle
Double Platinum Member

Sounds like to me mainer, washes the corn with the husk on and then freezes.

Quote:
TX Michelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 03:51 PM   #16
Mimilee
Double Platinum Member

My computer has been down all week, so I'm just now seeing this. I haven't read all the replies and if mine is a repeat, I'm sorry.
We have been freezing corn in the shuck for years.
In fact, I'm going to be putting some in the freezer in the next couple of days.
Here's our method:
Cut off both ends of the corn. Wrap each ear tightly in foil and freeze. Easy as can be!
When ready to cook, remove foil, leave in the shuck and cook in the microwave. Tastes just like fresh!
Mimilee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 08:11 PM   #17
mainer1
Platinum Member

Sorry I did not make it very clear....I was the corn with the husks on, wrap and freeze. Then take out, pull the husk back, put on salt and pepper, then grill. Sorry I was not around befire to answer you question.
mainer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 05:47 AM   #18
NYCgal
Royal Presidential Member

Quote:
Sorry I did not make it very clear....I was the corn with the husks on, wrap and freeze. Then take out, pull the husk back, put on salt and pepper, then grill. Sorry I was not around befire to answer you question.

I don't know why but that sounds kinda kinky .

NYCgal is offline   Reply With Quote