Go Back   Home Talk Entertainment Forums > Home Talk > Home Talk

Home Talk General chatting. Talk about whatever you want!

Sub-Forum: HTE Games- Entertain yourself with the games played here at HTE

Old 07-30-2010, 09:33 PM   #1
Lexi
Platinum Member

Arrow Going away party suggestions for someone going to Boot Camp

Any one have any?
Lexi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 09:44 PM   #2
chickypea
Elite Royal Member

Party or gift ideas?
Gift- prepaid phone cards, diary, MP3 player or Ipod, stationary with stamps.

We're all connected - to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, and, to the rest of the universe atomically. We're in the universe, and the universe is in us.~ Dr. Neil deGrasse Tyson ~
“Don't look at me in that tone of voice.” ~ Dorothy Parker
chickypea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 09:54 PM   #3
xntric1
Elite Presidential Member

During boot camp they get VERY LITTLE contact with the outside world ... via anything. If their sergeant doesn't tell them it is OK to go to the bathroom, then they don't go.

This is their last free time before becoming a new person. I would try to find something that they can remember fondly when they want to sit dowb, cry and have their Mom come rescue them but know they can't even think such a thing and give them a gift of something they can look forward to when they leave boot camp.
I have no actual suggestions, just let your heart and mind wonder ... what would you want when you were facing a life altering event?
Old 07-30-2010, 10:18 PM   #4
Gabby

Lexi Who is going to boot camp?I think there are a lot of young men and women who could certainly use the expierence of a boot camp to get their life straight.As far as what they need I agree with what Chicky Pea said !cause they will be another new person GARUNTEED!Gabby ps I will never forget when my Grandson joined the Army Reserves they said 'park your attitudes here "and they want be here when you come back lol so true!God bless our troops!GABBY
Old 07-30-2010, 10:30 PM   #5
Sragata

Most of the time, they are told NOT to bring anything like MP# Players. Is this Boot Camp for the Army or Boot Camp for learning new behaviors?

If it is for the Army, Navy, etc. I'd suggest that the party takes place several days before the departure for the base. They hit the ground running at the base, and need to be well rested before they get there.

I'd give them pre-paid phone cards, paper, envelopes and paper.
Sragata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 10:58 PM   #6
dawnald1
Elite Member

digital camera to capture all their training moments
dawnald1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 11:48 PM   #7
Comingbacktolife
Triple Platinum Member

Those little scarf things, which you soak in water, and wear around your neck, to keep cool. We've talked about them, here, and I've purchased 5, at Wal*Mart. They've been well-received. Less than $4 each.
Comingbacktolife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 11:49 PM   #8
jimzmum
Double Platinum Member

They can't bring phone cards or anything else. They only get maybe three phone calls. No music. No nothing.

But, once they graduate, the restrictions ease a bit. The gifts given will be appreciated then!
Old 07-31-2010, 12:27 AM   #9
dawnald1
Elite Member

Way back in the day we could use the phone every Sunday and we were allowed to have cameras. I can't remember about music though.
dawnald1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 01:02 AM   #10
whatscookin

One of DS's friends went off to boot camp several months ago. His parents had a huge open house with tons of food, various drinks, music, volleyball, etc. I don't think anyone really brought gifts, but I did take a "good luck to you on your new adventure" card...all his high school friends came as well as neighbors, former coaches, friends he grew up with. It was a wonderful send-off...nothing fancy, but all the folks were there and that is what mattered.
whatscookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 08:43 PM   #11
Lexi
Platinum Member

Thanks for all your ideas. A friend of the family will be leaving at the end of August to Camp Pendleton for 3 months. Didn't think of the stationary, phone cards or MP3 player. That's a very good idea. Maybe I can record some messages from the family and he can listen to them when he is homesick. Hopefully he can take it with him.

Thanks again. All were great ideas.
Lexi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 09:40 PM   #12
kathryn
Presidential Member

It might be a good idea to talk to his recruiter and see what he's allowed to have during Basic.
kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 10:19 PM   #13
Sragata

When Kevin went, he was told not to bring anything extra. Even the clothes he was wearning (down to the underwear), were either packed up and sent home or thrown away. He was told that BEFORE he left for camp. The guys (soldiers, sailors, airmen etc.) don't have time to read materials other than what they are given. They aren't allowed much time for calling home either.

Tell your guy that he needs to get plenty of rest in the days before departure. Kevin said they hit the base and training started.
Sragata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 10:25 PM   #14
MsP
Elite Member

Maybe a small calendar book to post daily happenings.
MsP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 12:53 AM   #15
ksund
Elite Member

Save any gifts for after Boot Camp, they aren't allowed anything. Noelle had her 18th birthday days after she got to boot camp and I did sneak a bday card into a pocket of her bag, but that was the only extra. We did have her and Dustin memorize a calling card number in case of emergency. As far as stationary for writing home while in bootcamp they'll use Army, Navy etc. stationary.
ksund is offline   Reply With Quote