Go Back   Home Talk Entertainment Forums > Home Talk > Home Talk

Home Talk General chatting. Talk about whatever you want!

Sub-Forum: HTE Games- Entertain yourself with the games played here at HTE

Old 02-01-2010, 09:59 AM   #1
DeniseK
Platinum Member

Default can you take apart a box spring?

Can you take apart the box spring of the mattress? We have your typical Queen size mattress and box spring. When we moved it in here 10 years ago, the box spring had to be shoved up the steps and it did some damage. It was too tall between the step and the lowest portion of ceiling. The mattress bent a little so that it fit ok.

We have a new mattress set coming this week. My aunt has asked for our old set for her guest room. Our original intention was just to tear apart the box spring and take it down in pieces but since she wants it, I'm wondering if there is a better way.

TIA
DeniseK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 10:17 AM   #2
chijim
Elite Member

http://www.instructables.com/id/Cutt...-a-Box-Spring/
chijim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 10:46 AM   #3
zoned247
Platinum Member

We had the same problem in the first house we bought together. My husband wondered if we could take it apart and his friend said you can take anything apart once.
zoned247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 11:02 AM   #4
Connieb
Platinum Member

I worked in a mattress factory afew yrs ago. Anytime your going to buy a queen bed set, always buy a queen split boxspring for that reason. You may at the time have a one story house and then move to a 2 or more, this makes moving them much easier as they are the same length but in 2 pieces. We had many people have to bring back the new one and trade in for the split. Unless you tools that will cut threw the springs, and wood then reglue or staple them back together, a heavy duty stapler to reattach the fabric, I wouldnt do it.
Connieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 11:09 AM   #5
Sandymom
Double Platinum Member

We also had a hard time moving a queen boxspring up the stairs and had to bend the frame a little. Guess what? COming down the stairs was a lot easier. So I would try it before I did anything to it.
Sandymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 11:22 AM   #6
Ohbirdlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by chijim View Post
There's a website for everything!
Old 02-01-2010, 02:00 PM   #7
momto4
Royal Member

Not sure...but did you buy a split boxspring for this new set?
momto4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 02:09 PM   #8
ctcotnam
Platinum Member

I could take it apart......... putting it back together agian? not when I got done!
ctcotnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 02:53 PM   #9
lori121
Presidential Member

I wonder if they have plans for how to add extra support for a mattress??

We need to add support for the mattress in our guest bedroom. My SIL is over weight & after they stayed over night the last time, one of the boards broke. GRRRRR
lori121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 09:37 PM   #10
DeniseK
Platinum Member

Thanks everyone! I had to get a move on. They called at 4:15 to tell me they would be here in the morning. I didn't expect them until later in the week. One hour until DH gets home and then you call???? oy

chijim, I found the same instructions and they were awesome! I did measure first and how they ever got it up there in the first place is beyond me. I cut the thing in two with a saw. The look on my son's face was priceless!!! The wrapped-in-duct-tape package was at the bottom of the steps by the time DH got home. We had it out the door in a minute and he was a happy camper.

Camper quite litterally - he is sleeping on the mattress on the floor with our son. DS was so excited about the "short bed".

I have the instructions for putting back together. When Aunt gets back tomorrow from her trip she can decide if she wants it or not. I'm just thrilled that my walls, furniture, and wood work were not harmed.

We did get the split box spring this time so the new bed coming in tomorrow should be easy!

I'm so excited. I can't wait to go to bed tomorrow night!!!
DeniseK is offline   Reply With Quote