Go Back   Home Talk Entertainment Forums > Home Talk > Home Talk

Home Talk General chatting. Talk about whatever you want!

Sub-Forum: HTE Games- Entertain yourself with the games played here at HTE

Old 01-02-2010, 02:50 PM   #1
Nancy in ME

Arrow Mother's 90th Birthday - need gift ideas

Help!!

My mother turns 90 in 5 weeks. Neither of her 2 surviving "kids" lives near enough to go back for the day, which is really the only thing that she would ask for.

My brother and I are trying desperately to come up with a really nice gift for her but are drawing a blank. She doesn't need anything. She lives in one of those cute little elderly housing apartments. It's very pleasant but only 3 rooms and she has it pretty much stuffed to capacity.

A little background: She is pretty much house bound, although she can get out and walk around the complex a little bit on nice days. Never in the winter. She uses a walker full-time. She rarely watches TV, loves to listen to her mountain of CD's, and is an avid reader. The library delivers 7 new books every other Monday. She loves clothing and could easily open her own store. So in short, she doesn't need any new outfits, music or books.

If you have any thoughts, please PLEASE share them. We are all drawing total blanks and time is of the essense.
Old 01-02-2010, 02:54 PM   #2
Tootie5347
Double Platinum Member

Ask her what she would like or needs.

I only wish my Mom had as many interests as your Mom.
Tootie5347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 03:00 PM   #3
chickypea
Elite Royal Member

What does she do for food?

How about one of those flower arrangements each month things?

We're all connected - to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, and, to the rest of the universe atomically. We're in the universe, and the universe is in us.~ Dr. Neil deGrasse Tyson ~
“Don't look at me in that tone of voice.” ~ Dorothy Parker
chickypea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 03:03 PM   #4
Nancy in ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickypea View Post
What does she do for food?

How about one of those flower arrangements each month things?

She has help that comes in every day and who also do her grocery shoppig and prepare her meals. All mom has to do is pop them in the microwave to reheat them.

Hmmm, flower arrangements each month. That's an idea... She loves flowers.
Old 01-02-2010, 03:17 PM   #5
ckgrammie
Platinum Member

How about a fruit basket or make her a basket with her favorite snacks.
ckgrammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 03:21 PM   #6
catiecupcake
Elite Presidential Member

I'll be watching this thread as my mother-in-law also turns 90 this year (April).
catiecupcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 03:26 PM   #7
BuddyRoe
Topaz Member

My great grandmother lived to be 93 and my mom would fix her up a basket with "girlie" type things like hand lotion, powder...I'm drawing a blank but you get the drift. She'd even throw in some little boxes of candy or dried fruit. She'd put a lot of different little things my great grandmother would not buy for herself.
BuddyRoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 04:06 PM   #8
Perky Grandma
Topaz Member

Do you have a camcorder - maybe make a video of yourself for her - - I'm sure there is nothing that she would rather do than see your face! Or, if she has a computer - hook her up with that thing (can't think of what you call it) where, when you are talking on the phone, she can see you.
Perky Grandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 04:24 PM   #9
crowjane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perky Grandma View Post
Do you have a camcorder - maybe make a video of yourself for her - - I'm sure there is nothing that she would rather do than see your face! Or, if she has a computer - hook her up with that thing (can't think of what you call it) where, when you are talking on the phone, she can see you.
Just what I was going to suggest.
crowjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 04:30 PM   #10
NYCgal
Royal Presidential Member

For what she proclaimed was her 90th B-Day ( no really knew how old she was when she died as she went up and down the scale at will ) we bought Grandmother 91 long stem roses. She wuvved the arrangement despite the fact that they were red .
Like self, she abhorred red flowers and roses in particular.

NYCgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 04:39 PM   #11
Callie
Gold Member

My mother received a manicure and pedicure as a gift for her 90th birthday. Another idea is a massage.

My sister and I had a tea party for her with 22 female friends and family in attendance. The party was videotaped and she was later given the dvd.

Are you sure that you cannot be with her for that special day, since that is what she would really want.
Callie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 04:57 PM   #12
Nancy in ME

No camcorders here. I don't really need her telling me that I need to lose more weight anyway. LOL And believe me, my teeny tiny little mother would have no qualms about that!

Callie, nope it can't be done this year. DH just changed jobs a few months ago and being low man on the totem pole he isn't eligiblel for PTO yet anyway, and he is already commited to covering another persons medical leave until mid-February at least. Brother doesn't have any time off until April.

Hmmm, 90 roses. She might really like that, especially if they mixed up lots of colors. I'll have to give that some serious thought.

Ok, keep 'em coming please!
Old 01-02-2010, 05:25 PM   #13
MizRoux
Junior Deputy

Can she get around well enough to go to a restaurant? Would she like it if you paid for a lunch for her and one or two of her friends at a nice restaurant? I'm assuming her caregiver or someone could drive them.

Call or write the White House and they will send her birthday greetings. (Probably doesn't matter if she likes the President or not, it's still nice to get birthday greetings from a President.)

Digital picture frame with pictures of her kids, their families, special events, etc.
MizRoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 05:26 PM   #14
Koi

A nice flannel laprobe. She can wrap it around her shoulders or use it across her lap. I gave one to a 92-yr. old recently who was delighted with it. Her glee showed in her eyes.
I would suggest the laprobe size (approx. 4 feet by 40 inches) in order to avoid a trip hazard.
Koi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 05:50 PM   #15
MissPat
Platinum Member

Location: In the middle of the good ole' United States of America

Does she keep in touch with anyone via mail? How about some attractive note cards or stationery and stamps? Oh, forgot.....I once gave my DM a little booklet titled "Tell me about your Life, Mom" and it had space on each of the 365 days and a question; example: Who were your childhood friends? What did you do on Valentine's Day. You get the idea. A year or so after I gave mine to my Mom, she had a massive stroke and while she lived 6 more years, she could no longer talk, so you can imagine how precious this book was when I found it and she had filled it out. I immediately got one for myself and have filled it in for my sons.
MissPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 05:55 PM   #16
GeeWhiskers
Platinum Member

How about one of those digital picture frames filled with family photos starting from WAY BACK WHEN to the present. They can be set to automatically do a slide show.
GeeWhiskers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:30 AM   #17
bmma
Platinum Member

Could you get away without your DH to see her. When my parents got up in age, I was always aware that each BD might be the last.

I like the idea of treating her and a couple of friends out to lunch -- maybe the place where she lives could arrange it.

I'm sure being with people is the best gift she could get.
bmma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 01:51 PM   #18
ttwettlin
Platinum Member

I gave a party for my parents anniversary. They didn't need/want a thing as a gift. I asked the attendees to bring an artifical flower to the party. The assortment was amazing. My Mom can still tell you who brought which flower.

For my late grandmother, I bought lotions, powders, lip balm, puzzle books, a lap desk food. I loved looking for things that matched her age.Later in life, I shopped for food in the baby aisle...she loved snacks that would dissolve in her mouth, ( no choking hazard)

A personalized calendar with family photos and birthdays and anniversaries noted.
ttwettlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 02:00 PM   #19
Comingbacktolife
Double Platinum Member

Ttwettlin, Those personalized calendars, which you can make, online, would be great! Pictures from the past, and the present, of her loved ones, their pets, and their surroundings, would be especially appreciated. Good suggestion. I did a couple, online, and they turned out great.
Comingbacktolife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 03:26 PM   #20
Jrock
Platinum Member

My elderly Aunt loved lemon, so I ordered and had sent to her a basket of lemon flavored "goodies" (cookies, candies, tea, etc.) She loved it!
Jrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 10:18 AM   #21
ttwettlin
Platinum Member

A Wii with the exercise programs. A lot of senior centers and homes are using them for both the social and physical benefits.
Old 01-04-2010, 12:11 PM   #22
Ammie
Platinum Member

I definitely vote for the flower arrangement each month. I would love something like that as I love flowers too. That would be so fun to look forward to......
Ammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 12:19 PM   #23
Nancy in ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammie View Post
I definitely vote for the flower arrangement each month. I would love something like that as I love flowers too. That would be so fun to look forward to......

We are leaning towards this idea as well. She LOVES flowers, and the tiny garden areas outside her front and back door are always full to overflowing every Spring & Summer.
Old 01-04-2010, 12:28 PM   #24
ttwettlin
Platinum Member

An herb garden planter. Seniors lose taste and this could encourage her to eat.
Edible arrangements. Fruit that is cut and shaped like flowers. Very healthy.
An amaryliss bulb.
Old 01-04-2010, 12:58 PM   #25
Night Listener
Elite Member

I love the flowers idea!

Just adding a though though - since she's such a voracious reader what about a subscription to a magazine that she could later share with others in the complex? Something like The New Yorker.
Night Listener is offline   Reply With Quote