Go Back   Home Talk Entertainment Forums > Home Talk > Home Talk

Home Talk General chatting. Talk about whatever you want!

Sub-Forum: HTE Games- Entertain yourself with the games played here at HTE

Old 10-07-2009, 07:51 PM   #1
compozer
Topaz Member

Default need help asap- spaghetti sauce too hot

I was in town all day - went to the store. But I discovered when I got home, I didn't have any jars of spaghetti sauce. We want to eat soon so I thought I'd use salsa (process it to smooth it out) and add some garlic and Itialian seasoning. I sampled it and it was very hot so I thought it was the seasoning and added more salsa. Wrong!!! and it is medium salsa.

What can I add to tame it down??

I already have a huge pot.

thanks for any help.
compozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 07:56 PM   #2
bunniemny
Elite Presidential Member

chunks of potato? will that absorb some of the heat?
bunniemny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 07:57 PM   #3
NYCgal
Royal Presidential Member

Any dairy product will calm the heat ( milk; cream, etc.) but if you feel medium salsa is too hot not sure if that's really the solution .

NYCgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 07:57 PM   #4
zoned247
Platinum Member

Do you have a can or two of tomatoes or sauce? I'd add that.
zoned247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 07:59 PM   #5
SJR
Administrator

Zoned247 gave very good advice on how to cool down the sauce.
Old 10-07-2009, 08:01 PM   #6
compozer
Topaz Member

thanks. I was thinking of tomato sauce but I have such a large amount, I didn't want to make any more will try it thanks

I made meat balls last night (recipe from the today show) and there really isn't any spices it them. Maybe those and the parmesan cheese will help. I don't think I want to add any milk. Would potato flakes work??
Old 10-07-2009, 08:17 PM   #7
cathyb
Triple Platinum Member

I hope I'm not too late for this but don't use potato flakes. The result will be a big lump of goo! Take a portion of the salsa sauce out and put into another pan...add tomato sauce or canned tomatoes and that should do the trick.
cathyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 08:33 PM   #8
compozer
Topaz Member

I didn't add any potato flakes - thanks for the heads up on it. I added two cans of tomato sauce = doesn't seem much better.

We plan to eat at 8, I put half of the meat balls in the sauce and maybe they will absorb some of it and with the pasta and extra cheese - my dh will be the only one complaining and I'll make sure he has lots of wime... thanks again.
Old 10-07-2009, 08:42 PM   #9
spryte
Double Platinum Member

NYC is right... add dairy.... some cream will help.
spryte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 08:46 PM   #10
cathyb
Triple Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by compozer View Post
I didn't add any potato flakes - thanks for the heads up on it. I added two cans of tomato sauce = doesn't seem much better.

We plan to eat at 8, I put half of the meat balls in the sauce and maybe they will absorb some of it and with the pasta and extra cheese - my dh will be the only one complaining and I'll make sure he has lots of wime... thanks again.
Maybe you can take his portion out and add a bit of cream to it...it will calm the heat. Regardless, the wine will always make things better!
cathyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 08:54 PM   #11
Comingbacktolife
Double Platinum Member

Yeah, I would have attempted to cool down only a portion of the hot stuff. Two cans of tomato sauce just won't cut it, for a large pot.

Let us know, if dinner went okay
Comingbacktolife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 08:54 PM   #12
alpiner1
Elite Member

I tried a new brand (to us) of enchilada sauce, it was too hot for our taste . I served the enchiladas with lots of sour cream, it helped .
alpiner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 11:14 PM   #13
compozer
Topaz Member

Well, we eat it and I thought it was good - so did son but my dh said his lips were burning. He seems to be bothered by spicy things lately!!

I'll have to try some sour cream in it tomorrow for lunch - just doesn't seem like sour cream should go in it BUT I'll try it. Thanks everyone.
Old 10-07-2009, 11:22 PM   #14
wallis104
Topaz Member

OK..... I googled -

Answer

Dilute the spice by doubling up on the tomatoes, tomato sauce and paste. A touch of brown sugar and a teaspoon or two of baking soda can help reduce both the spice and the acid.

I add a can of tomato soup, this usually helps -- posted by help101

A Sauce Too Spicy

My spaghetti sauce turned out way too hot and spicy tasting... is there anything I can do to reduce the spiciness in it?
Kim was preparing a tomato based sauce with ground meat that turned into a kitchen disaster. At her request, we sent some suggestions about how to correct a sauce too spicy. She used technique number 4, but she drained before most of the liquid from the old sauce to further remove the excess of spice. She confirmed it worked. Cooking potato pieces in the sauce reduced the hot spicy taste drastically.
How to Mend A Sauce too Spicy

We have some suggestions to repair a spaghetti sauce that turned out way too hot and spicy tasting. There are thing you can do to reduce the spicyness in it. The best news is that these techniques work with many other sauces and dishes.
  • Potatoes absorb almost any flavor. Add some liquid to your sauce so it would not stick, heat it up and cook a few large peeled potato chunks until they are just tender –you don’t want them disintegrating into the sauce- and remove the potato before serving the sauce. This should work with any base. How many potato chunks you have to add depends on the quantity of sauce and how strong it is, you will have to estimate: the stronger the sauce, more chunks.
  • If the sauce has a tomato base, you could add canned, completely unseasoned, pureed tomatoes and cook for 10-15 minutes –Italian home cooks prepare their quick pasta sauces from canned tomatoes- and the mixture should be milder than the original sauce. You might end up with too much of it. Freeze half for another occasion.
  • An Alfredo style sauce should also freeze well, but you would have to prepare some unseasoned white sauce/gravy to blend with the spicy sauce. Once you have the seasoning right, freeze the extra sauce for another time.
  • Combine the potato chunk technique with the addition of unseasoned sauce.
  • If your sauce is so fiery that you think none of these suggestions would work, freeze it in ice cube compartments. Freeze it even if your sauce has ground meat or vegetable pieces, only consider pureeing before freezing if your sauce had large roasted vegetable pieces, for instance. Once frozen, put the cubes in a plastic bag and keep them in the freezer. You have now your very own natural seasoning. Add a cube or two to your soups, sauces and stews. Unhappily, you will need to prepare a new batch of spaghetti sauce, still the old one won’t have gone to waste and your future soups, sauces and stews will come out so good that you might want to prepare more of this in-house condiment... don’t forget to keep 3-4 Tbs from your old sauce to season the new one.
When faced with a kitchen disaster, don't despair and try to repair.

http://allfoodsnatural.com/faq/27-co...too-spicy.html
wallis104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 11:49 PM   #15
K@
Presidential Member

wallis, those are excellent tips, thanks for sharing them and the link. I'm sure it will come in handy in the future.
Old 10-08-2009, 09:02 AM   #16
compozer
Topaz Member

wallis, thanks for taking to time to look it up. I always heard that if something was too salty, you should cook potatoes in it.

I'll use mild salsa from now on.
Old 10-08-2009, 04:33 PM   #17
TinWoman
Platinum Member

brown sugar
TinWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 05:42 PM   #18
alpiner1
Elite Member

Oh, gosh ! My sister use to add chili pepper to her spaghetti sauce & she knew it was the right amount when her nose ran ! Seriously !!
Old 10-08-2009, 10:33 PM   #19
alpiner1
Elite Member

I has a similar experience tonight , I made this dish :
http://www.pacefoods.com/recipes/Pac...LastIndex=true

I used the medium salsa & it was too spicy hot . It was finished cooking so I removed the chicken & stirred in some defrosted frozen tomato slices , then microwaved it a bit & placed the chicken on top again . I set it in the oven for a few more minutes to completely warm the chicken . I served parmesan cheese on the side to further calm the hotness .