Go Back   Home Talk Entertainment Forums > Hobbies > Interior Design

Interior Design Chat about everything from colors to pillows to that new lamp you just bought! Here you can chat about all things interior design with others who share the same passion.

Old 10-03-2009, 11:59 AM   #1
KimMI
Elite Member

Default If you have a sectional sofa.....

talk to me.

I have hit the end of the tolerance road when it comes to living with my 15+ year old sofa and loveseat. I am, once again, actively looking for a new something--small sofa or small sectional.

I like that the sectional would give us more seating, but I don't like that there's no table for a lamp or a drink. (This is the sectional that I'm considering: http://www.flexsteel.com/home/produc...kuId=5535-SECT Actually, the 5535-28 and 5535-33 would be the exact sectional.)

I do have a coffee table that I can use to solve the where-to-put-a-drink problem, but what about lighting? If you have a sectional, how do you get lighting in that area? Sofa table with lamp? Hanging light in the corner? Recessed lights? Other?
KimMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 12:25 PM   #2
mom-mom-6
Elite Member

My son has a sectional is one of his family rooms. The same concern about tables sent us out looking for a table. He wanted to take out the center section and put a table there. We, he and I and his little girls and Shelbie, spent hours looking everywhere for tables. He finally settled on two end tables and a coffee table. The very next day we found, for free, the exact table he wanted....large and square. He put the end tables and coffee table up stairs and now has more room downstairs. We are still looking for a lamp for the table.
mom-mom-6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 12:33 PM   #3
pippee_pl
Topaz Member

I have a sectional but it is U-shaped- we don't have any tables because we don't really let the kids eat in front of the t.v.- or we try not to anyway!! I put sconces on the walls behind the sofa to solve the lighting problem.
This room is also the t.v. room- we have a separate living room upstairs with no t.v.

In your case- square table is needed and also stand alone lamps on either side of sofa to solve lighting issues.
pippee_pl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 01:40 PM   #4
CountryGirl2
Elite Member

floor lamp may work kim
CountryGirl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 01:47 PM   #5
ambercat
Elite Presidential Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pippee_pl View Post
I have a sectional but it is U-shaped- we don't have any tables because we don't really let the kids eat in front of the t.v.- or we try not to anyway!! I put sconces on the walls behind the sofa to solve the lighting problem.
This room is also the t.v. room- we have a separate living room upstairs with no t.v.

In your case- square table is needed and also stand alone lamps on either side of sofa to solve lighting issues.
Wall sconces are a good idea--why didn't I think of that? We went with a traditional sofa/loveseat because of the table & lighting issues. I had just seen a long thin behind-the sofa-table at a yrd sale, too--if I had been smart enough to buy it, it would have helped.
ambercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 02:01 PM   #6
BenzMama
Topaz Member

Ours has recliners on both ends, flanked on the inside by narrow 2-tiered oak 'tables' (storage drawer under the bottom shelf-thingy) upholstered in the same fabric, then curved section between those. The matching coffee table (also oak & upholstered) is a honking 3 ft square w/storage inside. Can get pics if needed when DS returns my batteries.
BenzMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 08:29 PM   #7
chi
Topaz Member

I had no carpet under my sectional and it made noise on the floor because it was uneven.
chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 08:58 AM   #8
crazymaggiemay
Triple Platinum Member

I have a sectional but if I had it to do over again I'd get something different. It may be that it just doesn't work in this particular room as well as it would somewhere else.

I have the sectioanl away from the wall on both sides; one is to access the windows and the other for a sofa table to place a lamp. I have a floor lamp behind on side but it means you have to get up and go around every time you want it on or off. Doesn't sound like a big deal but it's not like reaching over and turning on the lamp.
Part of my problem is I didn't measure the size of this monstrosity and allow for end tables.
We bought this before we moved in here. I guess I'm lucky it even fits!
I have a rectangular coffee table in front of the sectional.
crazymaggiemay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 09:13 AM   #9
COOL BEANS
VIP

i've sat on sectionals before on tile and it slides apart. not sure about the lighting. I think they just had a floor lamp in the corner but the room was still dark. Wasn't the sofa's fault. LOL
COOL BEANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 10:02 AM   #10
pippee_pl
Topaz Member

a good sectional should have hooks and eyes to attach the pieces so they don't slide apart.

I really like mine- it is a U shape though and not an L
Old 10-04-2009, 12:58 PM   #11
Sandymom
Double Platinum Member

I am glad this subjest was introduced. I have been considering a sectional and the same concerns mentioned.
Sandymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 01:07 PM   #12
tiedye
Elite Member

I have a friend who has a sectional that you can take apart and use separately OR put together. Solves the limitations factor that most sectionals seem to have. I don't know what brand it is but it's fairly low profile, as sectionals go. It's not one of the overstuffed ones. I LOVE going over there for girls' night. She has hers (L shaped) open to the fireplace on one side and the flatscreen TV on the other. Big honkin' square table that fills up the 'hole' inside. So at any given time, there are wads of us flopped on the sectional AND two or three girls sitting on the hearth too, (and a pitcher of sunthin on the table - you dint ask for that detail, didja, har). Very comfortable and homey.

Can't be any further help Kimmers, don't have a sectional.
tiedye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 02:10 PM   #13
KimIndy
Elite Member

we have an L shaped one with a floor lamp at one end ...unfortunately it's not possible to put a floor lamp at the other end due to traffic flow ..that said ....it is dark in there ....we don't have any overhead lighting and I would love to add recessed lighting but the electrician we had take a look at it acted like it would be a big deal to do so ....he was doing it as a side job so maybe if we got a more experienced electrician it wouldnt be a big deal ??

anyway ....love my sectional and if you have room to do floor lamps the lighting isn't an issue ....we have a coffee table in the center for feet, drinks, munchies, magazines, etc
KimIndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 02:46 PM   #14
pippee_pl
Topaz Member

recessed lighting is not a big deal. it is picky though- depending where the wires run and how far they are from the place you want your recessed lighting. I am a lighting junky- i love downlights, floorlights, sconces, stair lighting- love it all- there are loads of options today- I even found lighting that you put in your grout. how cool is that?

http://swiatswiatla.pl/product_info....asilaczem.html

it is in Polish- but look at the photos. I love this.
Old 10-05-2009, 03:26 PM   #15
Donna-50
Platinum Member

I had a sectional for 16 years and liked it. I only had one end table with coffee table and sofa table. I put a lamp on the end table. Had the long side on the wall and the other in floating in the room. I had the sofa table behind it and could have put a light on it but didn't.
Donna-50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 11:02 PM   #16
KimMaple
Presidential Member

We have had our sectional since August and I can't have end tables at the ends but we have a leather ottoman in front of it with a tray for drinks, etc.
I have 2 floor lamps.........1 behind the sectional, at the corner and the other one in the corner behind the chaise lounge by the FP and then I have a table under the opening to the Kitchen with a table lamp. I usually don't even turn the floor lamp behind the chaise lounge on at night, just the other 2 and it is plenty bright, we also have a ceiling fan with light we can use if have to, but never do.
KimMaple is offline   Reply With Quote