Go Back   Home Talk Entertainment Forums > Home Talk > Home Talk

Home Talk General chatting. Talk about whatever you want!

Sub-Forum: HTE Games- Entertain yourself with the games played here at HTE

Old 08-14-2009, 10:05 AM   #1
*Ann*
Elite Member

Default What is the expected lifespan of a couch?

My DS flopped on the couch lasy night and we heard a loud crack...now one side is closer to the floor than the other.

The couch was starting to show wear and tear, the piping in the cushions was starting to pop out, the arms had a tear or two, and the cats had snagged the fabric in a few places.

This was just the last straw. Time to get a new couch.

We had this couch for 11 years, I distinctly remember buying it when we lived in the desert in SoCal. It has traveled around the country and around the world with us. And it survived 11 years of children's antics. When I bought it they were 7 and 9, now they are 18 and 20. I recall my DS and his BF standing on the arms diving onto a pile of cushions and blankets the had made on the floor I have spent many sleepless nights curled up on it watching TV at 3 AM. Weird how a couch stirs up these memories and feelings.

Considering all that we put it through, I'd say 11 years was a very long lifespan for this couch.

I'll probably wait until the kiddos go back to college and then start shopping for a new one.

How long have you had your couch?
*Ann* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 10:07 AM   #2
guest1

Upstairs couch is 15 years old. I bought it when I was pregnant with DS#2. I was tired and worn out and DH talked me into buying white furniture. BAD decision. We keep it covered with a throw and it is in desperate need of having the cushions refilled.

Downstairs couch is probably 20-25 years old and is still going strong.
Old 08-14-2009, 10:08 AM   #3
BuckeyeGirl
Elite Member

With heavy, daily use I think 10 years is realistic.

We just bought a new sofa & loveseat. Our last set lasted about 13 years but 5 of those years they were in a room where they had little use. The last 8 had kids jumping on them so they went downhill fast.
BuckeyeGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 10:23 AM   #4
kayhil
Elite Presidential Member

We got our couch, recliner, chair and ottoman when we built our previous house. That was 23 years ago and we still have it. It looks good as new. But it's a high quality leather so it ages well.
kayhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 10:43 AM   #5
buginthelowcountry

We've had our sofa about 4 years now... but as to how old it actually is??? It's antique/vintage... from early 1900's? Maybe 20's? 30's? It's kind of Victorian in style. There's a label in it that shows it was recovered out in a shop in TX in the 60's... Apparently it was in a room that got little use. It was very clean. Joe and I were doing pretty good with it, but the grands, and now our bouncy DIL to be are kind of taking their toll on it. A few springs seem to be getting sprung... the gimp is coming loose. I've been hoping against hope to have the money to get it and the companion chair recovered, but it's not happened thus far. When we do tho, I'm going to get the back covered straight across (no piping), and the whole thing a little more overstuffed. They're smaller scale pieces that would great a little poofier. You so can't beat old time construction! (*"*)
buginthelowcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 10:47 AM   #6
JMHO
Platinum Member

I'd have to say with all your couch has been through, 11 yrs is good!
JMHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 11:26 AM   #7
netti

Raising kids, and moving a lot is hard on furniture. I think your couch held up well considering the circumstances!

I bought new furniture when the kids left for college. It was "time".
Old 08-14-2009, 11:27 AM   #8
chijim
Elite Member

When I was growing up it was always a sore point with my mom with people that would keep a sofa encased in plastic or as a shrine you couldn't sit on and expect it to last forever....yet then replace their car every few yrs.
Never quite figured out if her sore point wasn't the guy gets the new car but the women has to live with the same furniture forever.

Ours was replaced whenever it was needed.
chijim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 12:02 PM   #9
SalsaLady
Triple Platinum Member

Ours last forever. We aren't hard on any of our furniture other than the bar stools and we use those all the time. I'm going to buy new family room furniture and give this navy leather three piece set to DGS1.
SalsaLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 12:22 PM   #10
ambercat

I was going to post the same question, Ann!

Our first couch was new, and we had it ten years before a support gave way. I wish now we had just found some way to fix it, because the upholstery was great and held up to everything. Our second couch lasted maybe five years before the cheap upholstery shredded, helped along by cats and small children. We had a second-hand couch after that which held up pretty well until we moved and sold it. We bought our current set second-hand about seven years ago. It was very clean and beautiful when we bought it, but I don't know how old it is. It is ready to go. It's been bounced on by kids, attacked by cats, slumbered on by a hairy dog, and spilled on by everybody. Half the upholstery is falling off the sides and back, and the cat has found a way to tunnel into it and tear it apart from within. The minute I can afford a new couch, it's mine! I'm going to go for microfiber with extra stain protection.
ambercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 01:20 PM   #11
NYCgal
Royal Presidential Member

One couch is an antique from the mid to late 19th century. I looked it up once and nailed the date but uhm I forgot again, LOL.
Let's see.
It's been vomited on; had opps whilst changing a baby's diapers on it; been slept on by all 4 of us simultaneously when the oil burner gave out in the middle of the night and we all slept by the L/R's Franklin store and that's just by my family.
Who knows what other adventures it had w/ previous owners?

The other one ( and matching fugly loveseat) is.......about 20 y/o and lives to be swathed in slipcovers to mask the intense ugliness of the pink and blue Olefin fabric .

I keep trying to kill the demned thing but noooooooooooooooooooooo.
Maybe yer DD is ready fer a road trip?

Last edited by NYCgal; 08-14-2009 at 01:24 PM.
NYCgal is offline   Reply With Quote