Go Back   Home Talk Entertainment Forums > Home Talk > Home Talk

Home Talk General chatting. Talk about whatever you want!

Sub-Forum: HTE Games- Entertain yourself with the games played here at HTE

Old 05-02-2009, 08:55 PM   #1
melann

Default Aldi's grocery store

The thread about bbq chicken made me think of this. I'm a bit of a grocery store snob. I like name brands on most things. Is Aldi's chicken really that good? Two people this week have mentioned buying chicken there. Curious minds want to know. Thanks
Old 05-02-2009, 09:39 PM   #2
mslynn
Platinum Member

For years, it was the only chicken I ate.
mslynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 09:42 PM   #3
dragonlady
Topaz Member

I like it.
dragonlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 10:36 PM   #4
Marzipan
Double Platinum Member

I am a HUGE Aldi's fan and a former brand snob. I have only been disappointed by two items and make it my primary shopping spot now. Keep in mind, some of these brands are the major brands in Europe.

I will say, I do have a few items that I won't budge on. Kraft Singles is one of them.
Old 05-02-2009, 10:50 PM   #5
Linniefrancis
Double Platinum Member

yes. They move a lot of meat at ours, so it is rotated regularly. I dont like their produce though. We have a farm market here, I always go there for produce. I always forget about Aldis though, I MUST put it on my list so I dont just run to Kroger or Walmart. It is SO much cheaper, especially for canned tomatoes, etc. I am finally in the habit of remembering my own bags, since I bought the recycled ones at $1 a piece and have them stacked in my car at all times now. I write it right on my list...BAGS FROM BACK SEAT. I'll write ALDIs now!!
Linniefrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 11:08 PM   #6
MarblesLongGone
Royal Presidential Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marzipan View Post
I am a HUGE Aldi's fan and a former brand snob. I have only been disappointed by two items and make it my primary shopping spot now. Keep in mind, some of these brands are the major brands in Europe.

I will say, I do have a few items that I won't budge on. Kraft Singles is one of them.
Whereas, I won't touch Kraft Singles, or ANYONE's individually wrapped sliced cheeses, 'cause they have to add too much junk, and they all taste like plastic! I eat the sliced cheese that is bulk backed, and I can go down a price point.

I am a mayo snob, it's gotta be Hellmans.
MarblesLongGone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 11:13 PM   #7
Linniefrancis
Double Platinum Member

I dont buy any American cheese anymore. We used to go through two containers of Velveeta every few weeks, now I dont buy it. Only cheddar, mozzarella, and taco cheeses unless I have a recipe that calls for something specific. I will ONLY buy Campbells soups though.
Old 05-02-2009, 11:53 PM   #8
ttwettlin
Platinum Member

Yesterday, I found frozen boneless, skinless ckicken thighs at Aldi's. I have never seen them anywhere before. I have big plans for them!
ttwettlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 12:04 AM   #9
Marzipan
Double Platinum Member

Well, thanks for the input on my cheese choice.
Old 05-03-2009, 01:05 AM   #10
Linniefrancis
Double Platinum Member

I was just saying I dont buy it anymore Marzi, I was not saying there was anything wrong with it. I'm sorry if it came out that way.
Old 05-03-2009, 01:10 AM   #11
MarblesLongGone

I was saying that once you eat the stuff that isn't in the individual packages, it's easier to give up cheese than go back to that. Kraft Deluxe American, their bulk version isn't bad.
Old 05-03-2009, 01:56 AM   #12
chickypea
Elite Royal Member

I don't eat meat, but Melann, my husband does, and he likes the Aldi stuff, particularly the pork chops, and tenderloin.

FYI the products ARE name brands- in Germany & Switzerland, they really are, I used to buy them when I lived there.

We're all connected - to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, and, to the rest of the universe atomically. We're in the universe, and the universe is in us.~ Dr. Neil deGrasse Tyson ~
“Don't look at me in that tone of voice.” ~ Dorothy Parker
chickypea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 06:13 AM   #13
mainer1
Platinum Member

When I was in Florida I did some shopping there. It is like anywhere, some brands a person just not care for. Here we have a Save A Lot, similar to Aldi's. There are quite a few things I buy there because they cost so much less and I can't tell the difference between their brands and name or store brands.

For instance, I buy their cream soups for cooking. I can't tell the difference and they cost so much less.
mainer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 06:16 AM   #14
SalsaLady
Triple Platinum Member

I bought some of those Rod Pretzels I didn't care for at Ald's, but the other things I bought were okay.

Last edited by SalsaLady; 05-03-2009 at 06:49 AM.
SalsaLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 06:37 AM   #15
CaSeYmOm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttwettlin View Post
Yesterday, I found frozen boneless, skinless ckicken thighs at Aldi's. I have never seen them anywhere before. I have big plans for them!

Wal Mart sells boneless, skinless chicken thighs.
Old 05-03-2009, 01:34 PM   #16
BuckeyeGirl
Elite Member

I bought a bag of those thighs too - along with a bag of breasts, drumsticks and a whole chicken.
BuckeyeGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 01:35 PM   #17
winky

We don't have Aldi's down here that I know of.
Old 05-03-2009, 02:29 PM   #18
JoW
Triple Platinum Member

Winky - An Aldi store is usually very small, with a small-ish parking lot. You could drive right past one and not notice it.

JoW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 02:32 PM   #19
chijim
Elite Presidential Member

Found this:

German discount grocer Aldi will open a distribution center and 13 Aldi stores in Florida and a warehouse and as many as 35 stores in Texas. Chowhounds in both states are rejoicing because where Aldi goes, Trader Joe’s follows.
Aldi and Trader Joe’s are owned by a trust controlled by German brothers Karl and Theo Albrecht. Worldwide, they operate more than 7,500 stores, mostly in the extreme value Aldi format where 1,300 SKUs of staple goods are displayed on pallets or cut cases. Where the 850-plus Aldi stores in the United States operate in lower-income neighborhoods, selling store-brand corn flakes and soda, the 310 Trader Joe’s focus on well-priced private-label gourmet groceries like frozen edamame and chocolate-covered popcorn.
But operationally, the stores are similar: limited selection, small-footprint outlets that specialize in opportunistic buys and private labels that keep costs as much as 50 percent lower than name-brand items. In 2007, Trader Joe’s sold an estimated $6.5 billion, while Aldi had revenues of $5.8 billion, according to Supermarket News. While Aldi is often dismissed as a niche player, SN’s David Orgel points out the chain is well-positioned to take share from Wal-Mart and Target as middle-class shoppers seek to lower their grocery costs.
After opening a distribution center in Salisbury, N.C., in the late 1990s, Aldi expanded into the South. Now, six Trader Joe’s stores in metro Atlanta and four in North Carolina will be joined by a rumored store in Greenville, S.C. The Haines City, Fla., warehouse and initial stores in Orlando and Florida’s east coast will open later this year. Aldi’s Denton, Texas, distribution center will open in 2009, followed by discount stores in greater Dallas — and, Texan foodies hope, access to frozen fish tacos and Two Buck Chuck.
chijim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 02:38 PM   #20
edssak
Silver Member

Would love to have an Aldis here and a Trader Joes,we live in the sticks when it comes to shopping choices
edssak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 02:47 PM   #21
Tootie5347
Double Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chijim View Post
Found this:

German discount grocer Aldi will open a distribution center and 13 Aldi stores in Florida and a warehouse and as many as 35 stores in Texas. Chowhounds in both states are rejoicing because where Aldi goes, Trader Joe’s follows.
Aldi and Trader Joe’s are owned by a trust controlled by German brothers Karl and Theo Albrecht. Worldwide, they operate more than 7,500 stores, mostly in the extreme value Aldi format where 1,300 SKUs of staple goods are displayed on pallets or cut cases. Where the 850-plus Aldi stores in the United States operate in lower-income neighborhoods, selling store-brand corn flakes and soda, the 310 Trader Joe’s focus on well-priced private-label gourmet groceries like frozen edamame and chocolate-covered popcorn.
But operationally, the stores are similar: limited selection, small-footprint outlets that specialize in opportunistic buys and private labels that keep costs as much as 50 percent lower than name-brand items. In 2007, Trader Joe’s sold an estimated $6.5 billion, while Aldi had revenues of $5.8 billion, according to Supermarket News. While Aldi is often dismissed as a niche player, SN’s David Orgel points out the chain is well-positioned to take share from Wal-Mart and Target as middle-class shoppers seek to lower their grocery costs.
After opening a distribution center in Salisbury, N.C., in the late 1990s, Aldi expanded into the South. Now, six Trader Joe’s stores in metro Atlanta and four in North Carolina will be joined by a rumored store in Greenville, S.C. The Haines City, Fla., warehouse and initial stores in Orlando and Florida’s east coast will open later this year. Aldi’s Denton, Texas, distribution center will open in 2009, followed by discount stores in greater Dallas — and, Texan foodies hope, access to frozen fish tacos and Two Buck Chuck.
I had no idea that Aldi's and TJ's were related. We had Aldi's back in Illinois for decades. Not out here, though. We do have many TJ's.
Tootie5347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 03:04 PM   #22
dragonlady
Topaz Member

We've had Aldi stores for over 18 years and no Trader Joes...TJ doesn't think this part of the country is high-brow enough for them.
Oh well! I love my Aldi store!!
dragonlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 03:51 PM   #23
LeftyLou
Elite Member

Don't like Trader Joes. In fact, I have a gift card I got at christmas and I haven't used it yet.
LeftyLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 04:58 PM   #24
BuckeyeGirl
Elite Member

I love TJ's, but our store is so small and CROWDED all the time. Just a block away is a large, lovely Whole Foods, I shop there.
BuckeyeGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 05:37 PM   #25
chickypea
Elite Royal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftyLou View Post
Don't like Trader Joes. In fact, I have a gift card I got at christmas and I haven't used it yet.

I love TJ's. They have great frozen stuff like Ahi Tuna at a price that cannot be beat.
They have lots of organic stuff, and it is a whole lot cheaper than Whole Foods.

We're all connected - to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, and, to the rest of the universe atomically. We're in the universe, and the universe is in us.~ Dr. Neil deGrasse Tyson ~
“Don't look at me in that tone of voice.” ~ Dorothy Parker
chickypea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 09:28 PM   #26
mslynn
Platinum Member

Still waiting for a Trader Joes around here - try to stop at one if I am in Columbus or Cleveland.
mslynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 06:31 AM   #27
*BooBoo*
Platinum Member

I love Aldi's. We shop there just about every week. That being said, I don't buy their chicken because I'll only buy free range chicken and eggs. It's a big difference in the taste and after the campaigns over here to educate people on what chickens raised in mass production chicken houses are like........I'll never eat a non-free range chicken again!

We mostly buy our meat from out local butchers so we know it's fresh.....but Aldi's has great babyback ribs already to go on the grill. I love their pastas, and many of their frozen products and canned. They also have a great variety of cheeses from all over Europe (at least here in the UK they do)......their produce is nice as well........and definately much cheaper than the other grocery stores around here.

If I had to estimate, I'd say shopping at Aldi's saves me on average around 30 to 40 percent of what I was paying in the mainstream groceries around here...........but even Aldi's has gone up in prices in the past year. We also have Lidl's here in the UK ad they are similar to Aldi's. Both stores orignated in Germany.
*BooBoo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 10:32 AM   #28
momto4
Royal Member

We have Aldi's (my favorite grocery store). No Trader Joes though.

I buy their bags of chicken breasts. I used to buy the pork chops...they are good. But I found our local meat market has much better cuts for about the same price! Actually, most the meat I buy from a local meat market...the price is comparable and I know it is fresh.

But for canned veggies, produce, cheese, milk, yogurt, cereal, flour, sugar, etc....Aldi's is great.

I go buy their eggs for baking...they are cheaper than the farm eggs I buy locally.

OH and their chocolate bar....oh so good! Nice and smooth and creamy!
momto4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 11:07 AM   #29
guest1

There's a TJ's here and if I never set foot in it again it'll be OK with me.

I love Aldi's. I don't shop there as much as I should.
Old 05-04-2009, 03:08 PM   #30
MarblesLongGone

Quote:
Originally Posted by momto4 View Post
...OH and their chocolate bar....oh so good! Nice and smooth and creamy!
Ohhh, let's NOT discuss the heavenly chocolates available from a German grocery...