Go Back   Home Talk Entertainment Forums > Hobbies > General Cooking

Old 02-26-2016, 09:12 PM   #1
mecookin
Topaz Member

Default Do you have a must make list?

I recently added 2 new recipes to mine and this is one of them. The Maurice Salad reminded me of the Firehouse Chief's Salad that we ate as children in Pensacola. Also the many times shopping with Momma and eating at a lunch counter!

HUDSON'S MAURICE SALAD

This salad was born in Detroit at the JL Hudson Department store, and is now served at Macy's. If I had to guess, I would say I've eaten hundreds of these salads in my life, and hope to have a hundred more. One of my all time faves. I remember when I was little, how excited I would be to go shopping with mom, and then have lunch. Of course, it was always a Maurice salad with extra olives. And fresh baked bread. Ahhhh. The simple pleasures of life.

DRESSING:
2 t. white vinegar
1 1/2 t. lemon juice
1 1/2 t. onion juice
1 1/2 t. sugar
1 1/2 t. Dijon mustard
1/4 t. dry mustard
1 c. mayonnaise
2 T. chopped fresh parsley
1 hard cooked egg, diced
salt to taste

SALAD INGREDIENTS:
14 oz. ham, cut into strips
14 oz. cooked turkey breast, cut into strips
14 oz. Swiss cheese, cut into strips
1/2 c. slivered, sweet gherkin pickles
1 head Iceberg lettuce, shredded
12-16 pimento stuffed green olives

Combine the first 6 dressing ingredients and stir to dissolve the sugar. Add remaining dressing ingredients and mix well. Combine the ham, turkey, cheese and pickles together in a large bowl. Toss together with the dressing. Divide the lettuce among plates, top with salad and garnish each plate with 2 olives.
(serves 6-8)
Old 02-26-2016, 09:17 PM   #2
mecookin
Topaz Member

2nd one is this....

These Gold Potato and Bacon Croquettes with Jackpot Beer Cheese Sauce are courtesy of Fake Food Free as part of the U.S. Potato Board’s Potato Lovers Club program.

Ingredients
Croquettes

3 lb. peeled Yukon gold potatoes, cubed (or about 4 1/2 cups chilled mashed potatoes)
3 green onions, white and green parts chopped separately
3 slices bacon, cooked and chopped fine
1 tbsp chopped fresh dill plus extra for garnish
1 1/2 tsp fine ground sea salt
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
2 large eggs
1 1/2 cups panko bread crumbs
1/4 tsp garlic powder

Sauce

1 tbsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp unsalted butter
2 tbsp unbleached, all-purpose flour
1 cup [type?] beer, poured and left to rest for at least 15 minutes
2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1/4 tsp fine ground sea salt
1/8 tsp ground black pepper
Preparation
In a large pot, cover the potato cubes with salted water and bring them to a boil. Cover and simmer until the potatoes are tender. Drain and refrigerate them until cold.
In a large bowl, mash the chilled potatoes until smooth. (You can send them through a ricer if you have one, but I find a good masher does the trick.) Add the green portion of the onions, the bacon, dill, 1 1/4 teaspoons of the salt, and the pepper to the potatoes. Stir well until all ingredients are combined.

Create the croquettes by scooping out 2 level tablespoons of the potato mixtrure. Form it into a round, slightly flat disk and place it on a large baking sheet. Repeat with all of the mashed potatoes. Refrigerate the croquettes for 15 to 30 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.

Place the eggs in a shallow bowl and add 1 tablespoon of water. Whisk until the eggs and water are combined. In a second shallow bowl, combine the panko bread crumbs, garlic powder, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon of sea salt.

Remove the croquettes from the refrigerator. Dip each one in the egg and then coat with the bread crumbs. Place them on a lightly greased or silicone-lined baking sheet. You may need to work in two batches depending on the size of your baking sheet. The croquettes can be placed about a 1/2 inch apart.

Bake them for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven, carefully flip the croquettes over, and bake them for 5 to 7 more minutes, until golden brown.

To make the sauce, heat the olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the reserved white parts of the onions and the garlic. Cook for about 1 minute. Reduce the heat to medium and add the butter. Just as all the butter melts, add the flour. Whisk the flour into the butter to create a paste. Continue to whisk for 15 to 20 seconds.

Pour in the beer and continue to whisk vigorously until the liquid is smooth with no lumps. Continue to whisk as the sauce simmers and begins to thicken, about 2 minutes. Add the cheese and reduce the heat to low. Whisk until it is melted. Stir in the Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper. Remove from the heat and serve with the warm croquettes. Garnish them with additional dill, if desired.

Calories: 116 Fat: 5g Cholesterol: 24mg Sodium: 253mg Vitamin C: 16mg Carbohydrates: 13g Fiber: 1g Protein: 4g Potassium: 38mg

Old 02-27-2016, 02:09 PM   #3
mecookin
Topaz Member

Tonight, will be the Hudson's Maurice Salad...although I will have to adapt for the onion juice, will just use some grated onion, and I am subbing Muenster cheese for the Swiss cheese. Everything else is on hand for making this!
Old 02-27-2016, 04:10 PM   #4
Xbones
Platinum Member

Looks tasty Paula! Nice picture.
Old 02-28-2016, 12:38 AM   #5
mecookin
Topaz Member

It was tasty, Steph, Rick even tasted it and liked it! lol...he had reruns of General Tso's Chicken!

BTW, you can tell I like olives!
Old 02-28-2016, 05:45 AM   #6
Lurah
Platinum Member

Mecookin - thanks for sharing. I've never eaten this salad or known of it before now. It sounds delicious and both DH & I like all the ingredients!
I've added it to my collection of department store lunch / dining room recipes from Dayton's, Nordstrom's, Nieman Marcus and more local now defunct stores I miss.

You'll also enjoy the potato croquettes and I'll try adding bacon next time and use your sauce.
Old 02-28-2016, 01:22 PM   #7
mecookin
Topaz Member

Thanks, Lurah, I look forward to trying the Potato Croquettes later in the week. I also plan to make a longtime recipe I concocted years ago, it's Sarge's Brown Rice that is served at Sarge's Shack in FrankEwing TN.
Old 02-28-2016, 01:24 PM   #8
mecookin
Topaz Member

I'm sure many of you have visited Sarge's Restaurant/Steak House in Frank Ewing, TN.
My first trip was in the early 90's and I have been making this side dish since that time.

My version of Sarge's Brown rice:
Sauce:
2 cups beef broth
1 Tbsp. Dale's seasoning
1 tsp. Kitchen bouquet
2 Tbsp. cornstarch
1 tsp. fresh ground black pepper
Whisk together.

Saute 1 bunch green onions, chopped in 2 Tbsp. butter.
Add: sauce
4 cups cooked white rice
Heat until heated through and sauce has thickened.
Old 02-28-2016, 03:05 PM   #9
jimzmum
Triple Platinum Member

I can no longer enjoy bacon, so I substitute roasted shiitake mushrooms. Holy cow, they are so good!

Here is the recipe I use, because I don't want the added salt of the soy sauce found in other recipes.
http://www.today.com/recipes/pasta-c...e-bacon-t66441

I use Mrs. Dash instead of the salt and pepper. This is so good! I am glad she did these on television. Her food is so good. Loved her recipes for a long time. Can't wait to make this dish, as soon as I sit down and work it into my food plan.
Old 02-28-2016, 03:09 PM   #10
mecookin
Topaz Member

Looks tasty, jimzmum! I like Mrs. Dash also!
Old 02-29-2016, 12:07 AM   #11
mecookin
Topaz Member

I had bought a 3 pack package of pulled rotisserie chicken at Sam's this week...so tonight's options included Chicken & Rice that I haven't had in forever.
Sautéed mirepoix, green onions in butter., S&P...added 3 cups chicken stock, 1 cup water & brought to boil for 15 minutes. Added 1-1/2 cups long grain rice & cooked 15 additional minutes. Added the shredded chicken, parsley & re-seasoned cooking an additional 5 minutes. I used rainbow carrots in the mirepoix. Yummy!

I also used one package of the chicken for chicken salad; chopped it finely, added diced celery, sliced red grapes, mayo, sour cream, garlic salt & fresh ground pepper.
Old 02-29-2016, 12:59 AM   #12
NYCgal
Royal Presidential Member

Never heard of Maurice's Salad yet love learning something new everyday.
Old 02-29-2016, 01:05 AM   #13
mecookin
Topaz Member

I had never heard of it either, NYC, must be a regional thing. It was very good though!
Old 03-03-2016, 02:38 PM   #14
Xbones
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimzmum View Post
I can no longer enjoy bacon, so I substitute roasted shiitake mushrooms. Holy cow, they are so good!

Here is the recipe I use, because I don't want the added salt of the soy sauce found in other recipes.
http://www.today.com/recipes/pasta-c...e-bacon-t66441

I use Mrs. Dash instead of the salt and pepper. This is so good! I am glad she did these on television. Her food is so good. Loved her recipes for a long time. Can't wait to make this dish, as soon as I sit down and work it into my food plan.
Just spotted this, l love shiitake mushrooms (all mushrooms) and this is something I would like to try. Thanks for posting!
Old 03-03-2016, 04:15 PM   #15
jimzmum
Triple Platinum Member

You are welcome. Watch them closely. They bring in a blink!
Old 04-29-2016, 01:10 AM   #16
SueMI
Double Platinum Member

Bump, I love Hudson's Maurice Salads. I haven't made it in awhile This recipe is very close to the one I use. It brings back memories of when I would have them at Hudson's with my Mom.