Go Back   Home Talk Entertainment Forums > Hobbies > General Gardening

Old 03-31-2016, 11:31 PM   #1
busyjo
Topaz Member

Default First plantings

We planted lettuce, green onion and radishes today. We should have done this last week but it was windy and cool.
Old 04-01-2016, 02:55 AM   #2
Ricearoni
Presidential Member

Very nice busyjo.
I've got French Thyme, and Rosemary (which grows profusely here) - both thriving.
Our back garden is small and doesn't get much sun, so produce doesn't have much of a chance.
My orchids are blooming though, as are the calla lilies and rose bushes.
Old 04-01-2016, 01:37 PM   #3
alpiner1
Elite Presidential Member

DH planted 6 tomato plants about a month ago . Roses are blooming , I took a bouquet to church Sunday .
Old 04-01-2016, 05:07 PM   #4
Xbones
Platinum Member

Yesterday I planted Rosemary, thyme, sage, oregano, chives and parsley. My Rosemary, sage and thyme usually make it through the winter but this one got to them. I decided to start fresh with all new plants.
Old 04-01-2016, 05:17 PM   #5
erinsean
Platinum Member

Here in the Midwest, it was 35 when I got up this morning at 7:00. Rain with a little mixed snow is forecast for later today...high will be in the 40's so snow won't stick. We have a little greenery coming up and I do have my flower beds cleaned out but sure won't be outside today. We are to have 70's on Sunday....our up and down temperatures are hard on plants and people.
Old 04-02-2016, 07:23 PM   #6
Xbones
Platinum Member

We are going to have below freezing for 2 days next week, I plan on covering. I'm sure I should have waited but we've had such warm weather and they are stocked at the plant stores.
Old 04-07-2016, 02:51 AM   #7
Nancy ME/WI
Platinum Member

It's going to snow again tomorrow night.

I have been planning a container garden for our deck, but it may be Memorial Day before I can get it started!
Old 04-09-2016, 05:51 PM   #8
MsP
Elite Member

Going out today to search for lettuce leaf basil. If you have never tried it I strongly wish you would. The leaves get as big as the palm of your hand and less strong tasting. I use it for pesto mixed with spinach as well as salad fixins. My friend in China put me on to this.
Old 04-10-2016, 03:17 PM   #9
Xbones
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsP View Post
Going out today to search for lettuce leaf basil. If you have never tried it I strongly wish you would. The leaves get as big as the palm of your hand and less strong tasting. I use it for pesto mixed with spinach as well as salad fixins. My friend in China put me on to this.
I've never seen it but will look for it. I've been covering my herbs during this cold spell. Plus I was gifted with a huge basket of herbs that I've put off planting due to the weather. UGH

Thanks for the tip about lettuce leaf basil!
Old 04-13-2016, 01:50 AM   #10
mecookin
Topaz Member

I've never seen the lettuce leaf basil either. Last year, I did make a spinach basil pesto for the freezer, really good tossed with pasta!
Old 04-13-2016, 01:52 AM   #11
mecookin
Topaz Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbones View Post
Yesterday I planted Rosemary, thyme, sage, oregano, chives and parsley. My Rosemary, sage and thyme usually make it through the winter but this one got to them. I decided to start fresh with all new plants.
My Rosemary, thyme & oregano made it through the winter. Yesterday I planted sage, Italian parsley, sweet basil & mint in pots.
Old 04-19-2016, 10:55 AM   #12
QVC Diva
Double Platinum Member

Yesterday, I finally sat down and took the time to order a reboost kit for my raised bed. Need to get all the weeds out of it before it arrives. Hope to start planting next week. Between work and everything else, I have too much going on this week to get much of anything done.

On the other hand, the mint is coming back like gangbusters.