Go Back   Home Talk Entertainment Forums > Hobbies > Interior Design

Old 04-06-2016, 12:25 PM   #1
buginthelowcountry
Double Platinum Member

Default How does your fridge figure into your kitchen design?

Okay, so I have a huge honking fridge... It's black, just like the rest of my appliances. Had white before, and they just stood out, so the girls of old aided me in my decision to go with black, and I've never regretted it.

My newest fridge has a smooth front... sleek... I'd rather that it was textured, like my previous, as finger prints and smudges are just never ending (my Hunky Contractor guy can not seem to keep his hands clean... ugh!), and I'm finding that the tiniest movement of any of the many magnets on the fridge front create little scratches...

I've seen fridge fronts paneled, which we could easily do... but I just recently saw one, in my Country Living, that was wallpapered. Hmmm... I'm just trying to think how that would even work! The article said she glued it on with wallpaper glue, but wouldn't that kind of tend, over time, to come loose? I mean, wallpaper on the wall will sometimes lift at the seams... I like the idea of it, but I'm thinking I would have to do a more permanent kind of glue. Especially since my little Bean Blossom is a "sticker picker" (she came up with that this past Sunday)... I can just see her getting the paper at the edge and pulling it all off.

I want to do SOMETHING, because the scratches are making me a little nutso... Mr. H is kind of hard on my OCD... Well, actually REALLY hard... Tempted to take the doors off and paint them with something really hard core... that can't be scratched or dinged... Thoughts?
Old 04-06-2016, 12:46 PM   #2
127becca
Platinum Member

i wouldn't paint the doors - that sounds like a bigger, uglier mess than the fine line scratches from magnets.

make a magnet board on your fridge, but maybe make it out of a fun piece of scrap booking paper or a fun piece of fabric. Hold that up w/ magnets. I see lots of fun things made from galvanized steel That could be held on the fridge w/ the command hooks for hanging pictures..
Old 04-06-2016, 02:38 PM   #3
buginthelowcountry
Double Platinum Member

A good bit of my fridge is covered with magnets and pics already. I'm thinking something to fully cover the exterior... at the very least the front, but it's got to be washable... something that would come off or slide around wouldn't really help. You know, I like the idea of galvanized tho... for the sides... Hmmm...
Old 04-06-2016, 05:53 PM   #4
erinsean
Platinum Member

Would ole fashioned contact paper work?
Old 04-06-2016, 06:40 PM   #5
buginthelowcountry
Double Platinum Member

I think I've seen some newer, better patterns than those of the past... Am I dreaming, or have I seen some chalkboard like contact paper? Or some kind of big, magnetic sheets?
Old 04-06-2016, 07:45 PM   #6
cricket
Gold Member

This might be something your interested in.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=refrigerator+decals
Old 04-06-2016, 08:07 PM   #7
buginthelowcountry
Double Platinum Member

Wow, some of those are way cool, cricket!!! I'm going to look at those a bit closer here later... I've got some bushes to paint... Thank you!!!
Old 04-06-2016, 09:07 PM   #8
MsP
Elite Member

Home Depot has window film that will fit. Different designs. You will find it where the blinds, shades, etc are.
Old 04-06-2016, 10:18 PM   #9
buginthelowcountry
Double Platinum Member

I've seen the window cling... I don't know that I've seen a pattern that I would like. I'll take a look again tho!
Old 04-06-2016, 11:53 PM   #10
Nancy ME/WI
Platinum Member

If you can use another fridge for a few days, you could always take the doors to an auto body shop and have them painted with automotive paint. Much more durable than appliance paint.
Old 04-07-2016, 12:45 AM   #11
buginthelowcountry
Double Platinum Member

I've got a guy who can paint them... I actually need to call him. He's got my bird cage... No other fridge tho...
Old 04-08-2016, 02:09 AM   #12
lilsophie
Platinum Member

Just buy a new frig, and don't put nothing on it. Then no more scratches. The frig will look wonderful plain in all it's glory

You could sell the one you have.
Old 04-08-2016, 11:44 AM   #13
buginthelowcountry
Double Platinum Member

Not buying a new fridge... This one is just over a year old. Just aggravating that the surface is so easily scratched... I noticed the same with my former stove... front lip of it was just plastic... first time a cookie sheet slid over it, scratches... I love my fridge... just not the little scratches and scrapes...
Old 04-08-2016, 10:48 PM   #14
lilsophie
Platinum Member

That's such a bummer Bugs. I have some scratches on my black and stainless stove. Wish things would stay pretty longer. sigh
Old 04-09-2016, 01:09 AM   #15
buginthelowcountry
Double Platinum Member

Yeah... nothing is made to last anymore... Internally or externally... It's nothing I can't live with... but I thought if there was a creative way to dress it up...
Old 04-28-2016, 05:26 PM   #16
lady of shallot
Silver Member

uncomfortabley