Go Back   Home Talk Entertainment Forums > Hobbies > Interior Design

Old 03-23-2016, 07:44 PM   #1
chickypea
VIP

Default Day Bed HELP

I recently purchased a day bed for the den/media room/ family room, whatever the hell you opt to call it.
Anyway, I was looking for a sofa for the space, and a friend was selling the day bed, and I had a slap my forehead moment, and bought it. I like it because when I am having a bad day, and need to be horizontal, but am otherwise ok, I don't need to stay upstairs in the bedroom as if I were sick.
At the moment- I just have it covered with odds and ends from around the house, to make it not look so much like a bed. In fact, that is my problem-
I have been looking for either fabric to have a cover and shams made, or find something premade. On line, everything is so traditional and Americana - both of which have nothing in common with me or my home.
Help me find a way to make this attractive- the table and lamp are a temp solution too, borrowed from other places in the house. And the woodwork has not been put up yet- need to wait till the kitchen is done.
Old 03-23-2016, 08:54 PM   #2
Nancy ME/WI
Platinum Member

Do you want a solid? Something fun and MCM? There are so many thousands of options for fabric, being able to narrow it down would help.
Old 03-23-2016, 10:21 PM   #3
Maine Lady
Silver Member

When we were looking for cover options we found that online offered a zipped cover (similar to a futon cover) or a fitted cover (similar to a fitted sheet). Both offers any fabrics to choose from. Consider having a cover custom made if you are having trouble finding a pre made cover. You could choose coordinating fabrics for bolsters, or accent pillows.
Old 03-23-2016, 10:50 PM   #4
crowjane
Double Platinum Member

You need this
http://www.amazon.com/Kimlor-Mills-K...SM1QHR00QRXGJG
Old 03-23-2016, 11:10 PM   #5
sms29s66
Platinum Member

Google daybed covers. There are lots to choose from.
Old 03-24-2016, 12:44 AM   #6
chickypea
VIP

Omg crowjane- hilarious! I have been looking at Indian and Moroccan fabrics- and I want the cushions to be in different but coordinating fabrics. I have googled, overstocked, etsyed, ebayed, and cannot find what I want.
Old 03-24-2016, 01:11 AM   #7
maude
Platinum Member

No suggestions (being shopaphobic), but if you can get horizontal on that you're even tinier than me!
Hugs to yer sweet self.
Old 03-24-2016, 04:04 AM   #9
sms29s66
Platinum Member

chicky, sounds like you're heading toward custom made.
Old 03-24-2016, 06:31 AM   #10
jimzmum
Triple Platinum Member

Get NYCgal to give you the name of the shop in the City that deals in Tribal fabrics. Lovely stuff, and I can't for the life of me remember the location.
Old 03-24-2016, 11:53 AM   #11
BuddyBoosMama
Gold Member

It's not just the cover. It's the pillows. Just get a solid cover. Go BIG pillows. Three Euro size with Moroccan or exotic custom covers. Killim (?) type thinner rug laid at an angle over the solid bed cover. The killim can be moved a bit off to the side so you don't lay on it. I think a washable cover is important. The accessories don't need to be.

I love a daybed just for that purpose. When being horizontal is necessary but you don't want to be in bed. We opted for a extra long twin in the back room. No sides to fuss with.
Old 03-24-2016, 05:48 PM   #12
Bopeep
Elite Member

I ,love this daybed! And the Indian batik patterns would be beautiful--all of them.
Old 03-24-2016, 07:15 PM   #13
chijim
Elite Presidential Member

You may find something here you can work with at Cost Plus

http://www.worldmarket.com/category/...ows/bedroom.do

Screen panels behind

Old 03-24-2016, 08:40 PM   #14
chickypea
VIP

Nice ideas!!! Nancy, some great fabrics- some I had seen but I love this one https://www.fabric.com/buy/0437654/a...er-mantra-teal
Jim- love that idea but it is a bit too rustic for me.
BuddyBoo's you could well be correct.

I saw a fabric that looks kind of like ostrich skin- would that be a good cover and then pattern and perhaps duponi silk pillows too??? I have lots of things to hang on the walls but am waiting till we know what will go on the bed.
Old 03-24-2016, 10:45 PM   #15
Nancy ME/WI
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickypea View Post
Nice ideas!!! Nancy, some great fabrics- some I had seen but I love this one https://www.fabric.com/buy/0437654/a...er-mantra-teal

Oh, I like that one very much!! It really says "Chicky", doesn't it?

Jim- love that idea but it is a bit too rustic for me.
BuddyBoo's you could well be correct.

I saw a fabric that looks kind of like ostrich skin- would that be a good cover and then pattern and perhaps duponi silk pillows too??? I have lots of things to hang on the walls but am waiting till we know what will go on the bed.
Yes, an ostrich-skin type fabric would work very well, especially paired with dupioni silk pillows. Very elegant but still a bit bohemian/exotic.
Old 03-25-2016, 12:52 AM   #16
chickypea
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy ME/WI View Post
Yes, an ostrich-skin type fabric would work very well, especially paired with dupioni silk pillows. Very elegant but still a bit bohemian/exotic.
Ilike
Old 04-03-2016, 12:01 PM   #17
busyjo
Topaz Member

So how far has the selection process moved? I am hoping you'll share the after photos. I so enjoyed this board and miss these kind of discussions. Good luck.
Old 04-04-2016, 04:17 PM   #18
Fender
Presidential Member

If you want this to be more like a couch and less like a bed, you need more solid backing cushions. Throw pillows aren't comfy on this type of thing. I'd hand fairly stiff foam back cushions made, then use throw pillows in front. It's too deep to comfortably sit on without a thick back cushion. I used to have a similar set up. Mine was more modern and I hare 2 back cushions that were thicker at bottom than top so it was slightly angled back. The bottom of the back cushions was about 18" thick, if I remember correctly.
Old 04-07-2016, 02:05 PM   #19
ShyAnne'sMom
Double Platinum Member

Like Fender said, large back cushions like this would make seating comfy.
Old 04-08-2016, 12:02 AM   #20
Patrick
Platinum Member

http://www.foamsupport.com/shop/cart...ct_detail&p=22
Old 04-18-2016, 07:10 PM   #21
chickypea
VIP

Jim likes bolsters, particularly with high density foam- I hate them, I like mush...so we will compromise with large and small cushions- square rectangle and round and different density foam in them so I am happy and he is happy, although technically, the day bed is mine cause he has a chair and ottoman... I just "allow" him on my day bed for the snuggling- which is pretty much anytime we are in the room.
Old 04-23-2016, 03:07 PM   #22
mecookin
Topaz Member

How about bolsters on each end & big square/rounds across the back?
Old 04-28-2016, 05:21 PM   #23
lady of shallot
Silver Member

It looks like the mattress in wider than a usual day bed. I would build up the back with bigger pillows. Maybe a couple of European squares or large bed pillows. The color of the covering and wood match the rug well
also a table with more visual weight would help. Good luck!