Go Back   Home Talk Entertainment Forums > Hobbies > Interior Design

Old 03-02-2016, 05:58 PM   #1
AdaGertrude
Elite Member

Question Decorationg themes you are glad you didn't use...

For awhile, I was seeing the middle-eastern decorating with beaded curtains, gorgeous jewel-toned fabrics with gold thread running through, etc., with lots of brass vases... I thought it was beautiful and would have been pretty in my tiny apt.

Have you used liked it?
Old 03-02-2016, 07:03 PM   #2
erinsean
Platinum Member

Anything Early American...never liked it. Also the Shabby Chic that is in now...I was raised in an old farm house and most of our furniture was shabby chic...so not for me. Mother kept our house neat and clean but no budget for newer things.
Old 03-02-2016, 09:17 PM   #3
buginthelowcountry
Double Platinum Member

The only theme/style I've never gotten into, for myself, is anything modern/contemporary... I can appreciate it, but it's just not for me.

My favorite homes growing up were my Mamaw's and Great Mommaw's... filled with wonderful family pieces and knick knacks... mismatched furniture... It works for me because I like older pieces with character and history... I have various "styles" throughout the house... but they all kind of blend...

I liked Primative, and had a few pieces... I do like the Bohemian style, but don't really have it in my home... A lot of different styles I'd not mind trying, but I'd need a bigger house!
Old 03-02-2016, 09:20 PM   #4
jimzmum
Triple Platinum Member

Lodge style anywhere other than a true lodge. Shabby chic all over a home. "Faux English Manor" outside of Downton.

I think there is a place for just about anything, but only when it is the proper place. Well, except for that "country" thing with the geese. I never understood that.
Old 03-02-2016, 11:06 PM   #5
Nancy ME/WI
Platinum Member

No shabby chic; none of that old country style with ducks, roosters and cows. Nothing traditional or grandma's farmhouse.

I am all about contemporary design, but being married to a traditional guy, we are mostly transitional with just small touches of contemporary.
Old 03-03-2016, 12:51 AM   #6
ScavengerChic
Weedy Member

French Provincial. (SP?)

It's just too much for me, although my neighbor did her whole house that way and it looked nice.
Old 03-03-2016, 01:16 AM   #7
sms29s66
Platinum Member

Beach themes. I love beach colors, but decorating with shells, oars, pieces of coral (Fixer Upper last night!) is too much for me. And beach/nautical themes when you live inland make no sense at all.
Old 03-03-2016, 09:15 PM   #8
AdaGertrude
Elite Member

Owls and macrame were a big thing for awhile!
Old 03-03-2016, 09:50 PM   #9
MsP
Elite Member

I have never used what you describe as middle eastern decor.
Old 03-07-2016, 09:50 PM   #10
Bopeep
Elite Member

My house is "early comfortable." Whatever works for us. And it includes some very old family pieces that I love.

I've never cared for modern---don't understand what it is.
And I lived with late 50s, so none of that.
Old 03-07-2016, 11:21 PM   #11
JoW
Royal Member

I've never decorated to a theme. My first apartment was furnished in Early Attic. I still have mom's old dresser set in my sewing room. The bedroom stuff DH bought is in the bedroom. Stuff DH and I bought together is in the rest of the house.

My personal style is sleek, modern, and easy to dust. But I don't get rid of stuff just because it isn't the right style.
Old 03-08-2016, 07:48 PM   #12
chickypea
VIP

I hate the Americana look- plaids, fake oversized tin stars, all these doodads made to look like heirlooms- like bald Raggedy Ann dolls etc HATE IT and it is very popular in this area.

Aside from some winter holiday stuff- like a tree etc, I hate seasonal decorating. It is fine for setting the table, but I don't like when houses are decorated for July 4 or other holidays, seems tacky to me.... but hey, that is what makes horse racing. I am sure that my Day of the Dead stuff seems pretty tacky to others. LOL

I don't do "themes" I do what I like and mix and match. I love some of the lushness of Moroccan style and happily bring those things in to my modern, eclectic house. Same goes for some Mexican things, and folk art I have picked up in my travels around the world.
Old 03-22-2016, 01:48 PM   #13
Merrill Lea
Bronze Member

I like Tuscan style, but don't have it. I wanted a ceramic jug lamp with two orange handles and was planning to buy it, but it's no longer available. Another style I like is transitional.
Old 03-22-2016, 04:02 PM   #14
crazymaggiemay
Triple Platinum Member

I guess if I had to say I had a style it would be traditional or transitional. I've always had eclectic furnishings. I buy what appeals to me regardless what the fad is at the time.

I didn't go overboard on cows, roosters, mushrooms, owls, angels, ducks and so on when they were popular. I've never bought what the fad color was most of the time. A lot of furnishings came from garage sales that could be refurbished but in good condition otherwise.
I can appreciate almost all styles of decorating but maybe at least half I couldn't live with myself. I don't mind visiting it but wouldn't take it home.
Old 04-04-2016, 02:22 PM   #15
Sonny Dayz
Silver Member

I dont care for contemporary or retro.

shappy chic is a NO too..
Old 04-04-2016, 02:43 PM   #16
Natalie
Topaz Member

My theme is "comfortable". Shabby chic,with all the peeling paint, no.
I like a bohemian theme but not for every room.
Old 04-07-2016, 03:03 PM   #17
ShyAnne'sMom
Double Platinum Member

Southwestern soft style is what I like but it's not what we have.

I am so glad that we never went MODERN or Victorian or retro. We are what you would call eclectic with a small amount of soft southwestern thrown in.

Last edited by ShyAnne'sMom; 04-07-2016 at 03:08 PM.
Old 04-10-2016, 10:12 AM   #18
QVC Diva
Double Platinum Member

I describe my style as transitional. A good friend of mine always called it casual elegance. For me, it's just a mix of old / vintage and new.

So with that being said, themes I'm glad I didn't go with are Shabby Chic, Rustic, Ultra Modern, Traditional, Tuscan, etc. etc.
Old 04-10-2016, 04:22 PM   #19
Xbones
Platinum Member

I've never been one for "Victorian" furniture, not my taste.
I guess we mix traditional with antiques and modern. We do appreciate nice art, so guess we have a little of everything.
Our beach place is not decorated with beach "stuff" at all, I'm not a fan of that look either.
Old 04-13-2016, 01:30 AM   #20
Linderhof Cottage
Platinum Member

I don't like "theme" anything -- if you have a beach house, you can have a beach theme, if you live in Montana you can have a lodge, etc. I like homey and comfortable without chickens and roosters and things French and iron stars on the walls.

Martha
Old 04-28-2016, 06:25 PM   #21
lady of shallot
Silver Member

I don't think I would define my "no" as a theme. More accents. I am so tired of "barn doors", words on walls, books shelved backwards, seeing the kitchen sink from the front door, (that's not an accent that is a major statement!) cutesy wood and wire things hung from walls. Lights made out of canning jars etc.