Go Back   Home Talk Entertainment Forums > Hobbies > Interior Design

Old 02-22-2016, 07:06 PM   #1
sms29s66
Platinum Member

Default Advice needed

My new bathroom is about 12' x 12' The walk-in shower is in one corner and diagonally across in the opposite corner is my antique mirror. My daughter is afraid that humidity from the bathroom will be harmful to the wooden stand that holds the mirror. I only spend about 10 minutes a day showering. Do you think the humidity in the bathroom will harm the wood?
Old 02-22-2016, 08:53 PM   #2
crazymaggiemay
Triple Platinum Member

I'm not an expert but I would think if you properly ventilate while you are showering it should be OK.
If you have a fan I'd turn it one maybe 5 minutes before you shower to make sure is pulling the air out. That's what I do and leave the fan on for a few minutes after.
10 minutes isn't that long in my opinion.
Old 02-22-2016, 08:53 PM   #3
FLLDYTRKR
Elite Member

Do you not have a fan in the bathroom?? Let it run for a bit after your shower..plus leave the door open when not in use.
Old 02-22-2016, 10:08 PM   #4
sms29s66
Platinum Member

Yes, there is a fan, proper ventilation,and I leave the doors to my bedroom and the laundry open. Plus, french doors opening onto the back porch. Thanks for setting my mind at ease.
Old 02-23-2016, 01:23 AM   #5
CocoKay
Platinum Member

When you think about it wood is commonly used in a bathroom- the vanity is probably wood, mirror and picture frames, base and crown molding. As long as the room has good ventilation it should be fine but keep an eye on your antique piece. If you get the slightest amount of swelling or distortion then remove the antique.
Old 02-23-2016, 02:28 AM   #6
sms29s66
Platinum Member

Thanks, Coco. This mirror belonged to my grandfather's third (!) wife who designed and made Mardi Gras gowns for the New Orleans debutantes. They had a house in the French Quarter which cannot have had humidity control. My hope is that the mirror has seen it all, survived, and will continue to do so.
Old 02-23-2016, 01:55 PM   #7
Comingbacktolife
Triple Platinum Member

sms, that amount of moisture is probably beneficial. The wood won't dry out, and crack.
My bathroom mirror is wood, and is fine, after 5 years.

I keep a glass of water in my 150 year old Victorian hutch. It's surprising, how quickly it
evaporates...but the wood is in good shape, at least.