Go Back   Home Talk Entertainment Forums > Hobbies > Interior Design

Old 02-21-2016, 05:58 PM   #1
Maine Lady
Silver Member

Default Describe your exterior

What does the exterior of your home look like? Does it have a certain style? What colors did you choose?

Our home is probably best described as a contemporary lodge. A bird's eye view shows our home in almost an H shape. The left side of the house is the front porch, mudroom, den, main hall, kitchen and great room. The center part is the sunroom (front) and screened porch (back). The right side is the bedroom wing. There are 5 roof sections. We chose green for the roofs and window casings. The top of the house is stained New Cedar clapboards, the bottom is stained Dark Forest shiplap with accents (looks similar to board and batten). The foundation is stone. We have an exterior fireplace chimney and a granite terrace off from the screened porch.

Please tell us about your home!
Old 02-21-2016, 07:00 PM   #2
crowjane
Double Platinum Member

The house is Spanish colonial
Red tile roof, stucco exterior, arches, big covered porches.
The city place is in a really big, industrial building, circa 1960. Concrete panel construction i.e.: humongous concrete walls lifted into place with cranes. The outside is painted a kinda taupe with a kinda teal trim, flat roof. The whole upstairs is my domain. Downstairs is where businesses reside.
Old 02-21-2016, 08:52 PM   #3
Ricearoni
Presidential Member

Nothing special here.
MCM design (literally - the house was built in 1950). Large windows, stucco exterior painted coral with a darker coral tone on the woodwork, flat roof, mostly horizontal linear features, 2 skylights. It is detached - we have small easements on either side of the house and a small back garden.
Old 02-21-2016, 10:25 PM   #4
Patrick
Platinum Member

Arizona beige stucco.

Last edited by Patrick; 03-19-2016 at 05:52 PM.
Old 02-21-2016, 11:01 PM   #5
Ricearoni
Presidential Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Arizona beige stucco.
Lol
I know that style.
Old 02-21-2016, 11:35 PM   #6
DecoMom
Triple Platinum Member

Very similar to Riceroni's: stucco in front, siding on the back and detached side; wood trim; large front windows; one skylight. Later MCM (1959), decent sized back yard.
Old 02-22-2016, 11:13 AM   #7
QVC Diva
Double Platinum Member

Nothing special. Subdivision ranch build in the mid 1990s. 99% vinyl siding (pale beige color) with a little bit of red brick on the front and an ugly shade of green for the door and shutters. One of these days, when I hopefully get caught up on some of my inside projects, I will paint the hideous green door a beautiful blue and replace or paint the shutters.

Last edited by QVC Diva; 02-23-2016 at 10:45 AM.
Old 02-22-2016, 12:55 PM   #8
Linderhof Cottage
Platinum Member

A 1920's four square brick house with a pyramid roof. It has elements of prairie in the offset front porch and the porte coch ere at the side. It has it's original metal roof elements (which are rare on an almost 100 year old house -- they often were taken off when a house was re-roofed.) The porch is screened which I like when I sit outside but I think the house would be more welcoming if it weren't. A gardener built the house because of the trellis on front and the window box under the upstairs windows.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg aaa.jpg (63.2 KB, 162 views)
Old 02-22-2016, 02:16 PM   #9
AdaGertrude
Elite Member

Florida green stucco (lovely spring shade; not minty, not yellow-y, not gray/blue-ish), with lots of white trim and a bit of nice stonework. Think craftsman style... just a bit; due to the porch posts.
Old 02-22-2016, 03:25 PM   #10
chickypea
VIP

Our home is a traditional brick and siding home built in 1960. From the front it looks deceptively small, but looking from the side, you can see it is relatively large.

The brick is regular rust colored brick, we have a vividly bright red front door, and have deep purple shudders and garage door, with white trim on the windows, and door frame.

Last edited by chickypea; 03-08-2016 at 06:50 PM.
Old 02-22-2016, 03:38 PM   #11
alpiner1
Elite Presidential Member

White stucco trimmed in redwood color , two story with dormer windows , a long porch & attached garage .
Old 02-22-2016, 06:17 PM   #12
Fender
Presidential Member

Landmark southern plantation/farmhouse. Looks much more grand than it really is. large plantation style house on a large sweeping 3 acree lawn (property is much larger but mowed lawn is 3) thats dotted with 100 foot trees. Massive front portico with the giant columns, very large double hung windows (larger than doors,. etc. property surrounded by high thick hedges (and trees on a coupoe sides) and entrance to provide privacy and security. Long driveway. So, house isnt visable from putside property.

Siding is very large 13" siding (we had to have some milled because you cant buy anything like this anymore), with white paint, white trim, black shutters (giant real shutters, not fake shutters), red door. We considered changing the color to a pale yellow or pale grey, just to make the trim (whichnis beautiful) stand out more,but in the end decided to keep it the same.
Old 02-22-2016, 08:55 PM   #13
buginthelowcountry
Double Platinum Member

A basic ranch in style. A modular with the two basic rectangles, and then the kitchen tag, which is about a 3rd of the length of the other two. Typical vinyl siding in pearl... brown 3 tab shingle roof and it had hunter green vinyl shutters, which we took off about a year ago... Joe had added a 20' by 12' front porch with a tin roof, and a 14' x 12" porch off the kitchen and utility rooms, also with a tin roof. We had lattice underpinning, but Jamie and I are changing it out for PT 1 x 4's running horizontally all around the house and porches. We're going to slowly start changing out the vinyl siding for Hardy... panels on the bottom 3rd and planks on the uppers. They will be painted to match the pump house in two tones of a bluish green, dark on bottom, white on top, with white trim and Charleston Green board and batten shutters. Jamie wants to reconfigure the roof on the front porch... Make it Cathedral, with turned columns, instead of just the 4 x 4's... The back porch roof will get a bit of a makeover too... higher ceiling... (would LOVE to totally enclose it and make it a large mud room, with the washer and dryer out there... now it's like a runway, with the washer, dryer, freezer and shelving on one side, and the laundry sink and utility closet with the HVAC unit and water heater on the other... ugh! The only thing I DON'T like about my house). Oh, and a pool and more deck than house out back...
Old 02-23-2016, 12:24 AM   #14
Maine Lady
Silver Member

I love reading these. I like to imagine your homes. Thanks for the photo Linderhof! It is fun to read about the details of your homes, as well as the colors chosen. Some of you mentioned your settings. That often influences building materials and design.
Our home was designed to work with our woodland surroundings. We have cleared about 4 acres of our property for lawns and deer fields. The rest is left natural. Our cabin is also in a woodland setting. It is a simple log cabin, stained dark brown with a green roof, windows and trim. It has an attached garage and a long front porch. It is very different in style, structure and materials than our home, yet both styles are well suited to their settings.
Old 02-29-2016, 09:13 AM   #15
Dards1975
Bronze Member

Hi, I live in Toronto. Previously we had a small old styled house which was build during the 90ís. Itís a two storeyed building. Recently we renovated through classy ideas of home interior decorators at Toronto. They renovated our bedroom in such a way it seemed to be spacious and added some contemporary flavours too.
Old 02-29-2016, 11:44 AM   #16
buginthelowcountry
Double Platinum Member

Welcome Dards1975!

My SO's family is all around the Toronto area... Some in Toronto, London, Dorchester, Granton...

Tell us about yourself! The board has gotten kind of slow... We'd love to see some pics and hear about your projects.
Old 02-29-2016, 01:13 PM   #17
crowjane
Double Platinum Member

Dards1975 is a spammer, I wouldn't click on the link.
Old 02-29-2016, 10:44 PM   #18
buginthelowcountry
Double Platinum Member

I didn't click it... I actually didn't even notice it! LOL!
Old 03-01-2016, 01:45 AM   #19
127becca
Platinum Member

Linderhof - i LOVE your house!!! I also live in an American Foursquare. Two bay windows - one in the living room and one in the dining room.

R72.jpg
Old 03-18-2016, 02:19 AM   #20
JoW
Royal Member

Its a Celebrity Homes, the Sheridan. Grey on the outside.

Celebrity is the Henry Ford of homes. They buy land and build houses assembly-line style on tiny lots. You have very few choices. If you google the company and model name you'll see the plans for my house. You'll also see pictures inside and out of a fully finished and furnished house like mine but not mine.
Old 03-19-2016, 01:47 PM   #21
MissPat
Platinum Member

Ranch Style, part brick part medium brown (painted) cedar siding; front door Heron Blue with black shutters and slate porch floor (small porch). Built in 1987. Large brick fireplace on one side.
Old 03-20-2016, 12:26 PM   #22
wrinkles
Bronze Member

1980's Contemporary/Split level in the suburbs of Atlanta.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A.jpg (100.4 KB, 22 views)
Old 03-21-2016, 08:25 PM   #23
Merrill Lea
Bronze Member

1990s modular ranch, gray siding, white trim, 7' x 9' (I think) front porch.
Old 03-22-2016, 04:13 AM   #24
GraciePJ
Silver Member

I have a what I call California No-Style. The outside is a rosy brown stucco with dark cream trim and a black front door.
Old 03-22-2016, 12:38 PM   #25
Merrill Lea
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoW View Post
Its a Celebrity Homes, the Sheridan. Grey on the outside.

Celebrity is the Henry Ford of homes. They buy land and build houses assembly-line style on tiny lots. You have very few choices. If you google the company and model name you'll see the plans for my house. You'll also see pictures inside and out of a fully finished and furnished house like mine but not mine.
I like it!
Old 03-22-2016, 12:41 PM   #26
Merrill Lea
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linderhof Cottage View Post
A 1920's four square brick house with a pyramid roof. It has elements of prairie in the offset front porch and the porte coch ere at the side. It has it's original metal roof elements (which are rare on an almost 100 year old house -- they often were taken off when a house was re-roofed.) The porch is screened which I like when I sit outside but I think the house would be more welcoming if it weren't. A gardener built the house because of the trellis on front and the window box under the upstairs windows.

That type of house is fun to tour! And I love brick.
Old 03-22-2016, 03:24 PM   #27
crazymaggiemay
Triple Platinum Member

My house was built in January, 1942 right after we entered WW2. It's cottage style with a small front porch. We have 2 chairs and 2 small tables and that's crowded. I want to get the old timey metal chairs that were popular when I was growing up.
The house is wood plank siding painted white. There are faux shutters painted a medium gray as well as the trim. The door is white but I'd like to paint it red. The roof is dark gray.
Our lot is large for being in the heart of downtown. We are about 6 blocks from the courthouse and downtown. The neighborhood is eclectic as the houses were built over a 35-40 year period of time. Some lots are large like ours and some are relatively small. Some have long driveways and some have shared driveways. Most have no garages but those that do have one car garages. Remember back in the 40-50's most families had only one car.
All the lots have large, older mostly oak trees with cedar, pecan and pine trees thrown in.
I am in the process of planting a cottage garden flower bed to the right of the porch leading to the driveway.
Old 04-28-2016, 05:30 PM   #28
lady of shallot
Silver Member

Mary Ann you are familiar with the exterior of our house as are others here.
Colonial (or four square) shingled second floor, clapboard first floor, porches up and down on front and sides. Painted white. Porch roofs pale blue.
Old 04-29-2016, 01:47 AM   #29
bunniemny
Elite Presidential Member

Typical home for this area.
Seems silly to upload a photo now, here's a link, you can scroll through the photos.
https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/3219544...s=2&s=zLpzrzVn
Perfect size for just me. 2 bedrooms, and a little spare room upstairs I use for yoga or just zoning out