Go Back   Home Talk Entertainment Forums > Hobbies > Interior Design

Old 02-12-2016, 05:16 PM   #1
moobleywoobley
Platinum Member

Question Where to hang family photos

Where do you display your family photos? I'm a bad mama and never hung DD's HS grad photos; now she's getting ready to graduate from university and with that comes new grad photos. We've never displayed many photos (I can count three, right now), so this isn't unusual.
Old 02-12-2016, 06:24 PM   #2
buginthelowcountry
Double Platinum Member

Most of mine are in our hallway to the back bedrooms, a kind of gallery wall. I've got individual photos here and there in the living room. Pics of our dearly departed hang in the front foyer, and the fridge always has fairly current snaps of the grandkiddos, and some other family members who don't live close by.
Old 02-12-2016, 06:46 PM   #3
jimzmum
Triple Platinum Member

Ancestor photos are in the public areas, and more recent photos are in bedrooms.
Old 02-13-2016, 12:29 AM   #4
mamaspoon
Silver Member

Ive never displayed on the wall in public areas framed photos, only bedroom or back hall. I've never put up high school, college graduation photos or kids or mine wedding pictures. I wouldn't know where to find such pictures in my house- probably in box in basement.
Old 02-13-2016, 01:21 AM   #5
CocoKay
Platinum Member

In our den we have a large bookcase wall and the center section of that has engagement and wedding photos of our children. In our upstairs hallway I have a large collection of black and white photos of our family-not hung yet, but hopefully soon. In our family room I have a few smaller framed photos of our grandchildren setting on a table. In my living room I have a few small photos of our family sitting on the end tables. I have a little collection of pictures of our children on my dresser in our bedroom. I believe family photos can be in any room as long as they are framed well. I'm kind of picky about the framing.
Old 02-13-2016, 02:08 AM   #6
Linderhof Cottage
Platinum Member

I have some on the wall going upstairs. The rest are smaller and a few are on the bookshelves in the living room and the rest are on DHs chest in our bedroom.

Martha
Old 02-13-2016, 04:18 AM   #7
alpiner1
Elite Presidential Member

Our kid's pictures are on wall going upstairs . Other pictures are in the living room & dining room . DH's grandparents , gr grandparents pictures & a huge sketch of his father are in the office .
Old 02-13-2016, 01:54 PM   #8
BuddyBoosMama
Gold Member

Ours are on Pottery Barn shelves in the hallway. What I like is that I can change pictures whenever I want, without moving the nail holes in the wall. They all just sit on the shelves. I think the weight limit on the shelf length that I have is 100 pounds. They are quite sturdy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wallphotos.jpg (18.1 KB, 30 views)

Last edited by BuddyBoosMama; 02-13-2016 at 01:58 PM.
Old 02-13-2016, 02:11 PM   #9
Comingbacktolife
Triple Platinum Member

As proud as I am, of my kids, I never put photos on the walls. I did keep three, in my
bedroom, but all of my photos have been given to my kids, or are in a drawer.
Personal photos are...personal.
Old 02-13-2016, 03:46 PM   #10
127becca
Platinum Member

Mine are on a wall going up the steps to the 2nd floor. I do have old portraits from the late 1800s on my walls in the LR and DR.
Old 02-13-2016, 05:19 PM   #11
AdaGertrude
Elite Member

When we had a 2-story house, I had photos all up the stairwell. Since we've moved several times, I have 0 pics of family hanging. Kids keep giving pics and I reallyyyyy need to get some up before this summer's visits. So hope to see some good inspirations here............ :
Old 02-13-2016, 09:35 PM   #12
Maine Lady
Silver Member

In our previous home I had black and white photos of our ancestors going up the stairway wall. When we built this house, the ancestor photos moved with us and took up residence on a living room wall. I just took them down a few months ago and replaced them with paintings when we refurnished the living room.

Off our kitche area, we have a message center and family photos are arranged there.

The main hall in the bedroom wing is known as the Wall of Fame and has our children's framed photos, awards, recognitions and plaques. It is like a giant scrapbook; loaded with memories.
Old 02-15-2016, 08:39 PM   #13
FLLDYTRKR
Elite Member

As I a split plan home with three bedrooms-office at far end of house the hallway leading to them has family pics there. Office has truck pics--Family room has car and animal pics--fridge current pics of whom or what ever. Our bedroom has a painting of myself over his dresser. Between the kitchen and dining room there is a eat at bar that I do not use it for that--so that is covered in smaller framed family pics..some old some new.
Old 02-15-2016, 09:38 PM   #14
moobleywoobley
Platinum Member

OK, so I'm not the only one who feels a little strange about displaying personal photos in public areas. My home is a split plan and the only hallway with enough wall space is in the bedroom wing where DD's room, guest room, hobby/computer room and guest bath are located. I currently have some New Orleans Mardi Gras art hanging on that wall, but I can move those. That hallway wall can be seen from the living room, but I suppose that would be alright.
Old 02-17-2016, 03:20 AM   #15
CocoKay
Platinum Member

I wonder where the notion of not displaying family photos in a home comes from. It has never made sense to me, and I'm a designer.
Old 02-17-2016, 03:27 AM   #16
sms29s66
Platinum Member

Coco, I'm with you on that. I don't have very many on display (and none on the walls), but what's the use of having family photos if you aren't supposed to display them???? Once they are in a box in the closet, I forget all about them.
Old 02-17-2016, 11:47 PM   #17
Fender
Presidential Member

I have very large black & white fine art prints up in den, plus a gallery of black & white fine art prints down the hallways. A large 30x40 over one of the mantles.
Smaller tabletop frames in a few rooms. Ill don't like the school type photos or posed photos, so those types of prints are kept in books that tell the story of family.
Old 02-23-2016, 06:49 PM   #18
always1stepbehind
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CocoKay View Post
I wonder where the notion of not displaying family photos in a home comes from. It has never made sense to me.
I agree...
Old 02-27-2016, 12:11 PM   #19
QVC Diva
Double Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CocoKay View Post
I wonder where the notion of not displaying family photos in a home comes from. It has never made sense to me, and I'm a designer.
I agree. That being said I have never had many on display in current house because 1) I'm planning to do a family tree wall in the hallway and 2) there really isn't a good place for display in the main living areas of the house which is where I usually display them.
Old 03-01-2016, 09:53 AM   #20
127becca
Platinum Member

i have a several very old portraits - from the late 1800s and I am very proud to have those. I do need to eyeball some of my cousins kids to give them to when I no longer am around. I don't know if my brother's kids will want them or not.
Old 03-01-2016, 02:26 PM   #21
Xbones
Platinum Member

My black and white prints are all framed similar going up the wall in the stairway. Some in bedrooms, some small in living rooms on tables. I guess, you can put them anywhere you want. As I get older, I'm trying to get my house less "cluttered" with photo's nick nacks, etc. Attempting to go for a less "busy" look, but its a work in progress.
Old 03-07-2016, 09:12 PM   #22
Bopeep
Elite Member

I could never keep up with all the grandkids and photos, so I stopped trying. With 4 children, 6 grandchildren, and 2 great-grands, plus DH's kids, I really don't have Enough table space or wall space.