Go Back   Home Talk Entertainment Forums > Hobbies > Interior Design

Old 01-29-2016, 02:42 AM   #1
KG in CA
Silver Member

Default Anyone willing to give a quick bathroom countertop consult???

I hope I can pose my questions in an understandable way.

One home improvement per year. This is the year I hope to replace two bathroom vanity tops. The master bath cabinet is 30.5" tall + the cultured marble counter top. I think I should raise the height since I am replacing the top, but to what height. The existing top is resting directly on the cabinet.

The company I have chatted with says they always place a 1/2 or 3/4 board on the cabinet and the new top goes onto that. They can place 2 boards and make the counter top overhang (or lip) wider to hide the boards.

30.5 + 1/2 + 1/2 = 31.5 + another 3/4 for the counter top

Is that adding enough height?

We have lived without problems with the current height for 27 years. This would be so that I could enjoy new tops for a while + reduce negative feedback when we sell.
Old 01-29-2016, 04:45 AM   #2
sms29s66
Platinum Member

I just measured my vanities. I have a Kohler Portrait pedastel sink in one bathroom, and a vanity with a marble top in the other. They both meaure 35". I think anything lower would be hard on my back.
Old 01-29-2016, 04:06 PM   #3
Comingbacktolife
Triple Platinum Member

I just measured mine, also. The newer one is 35". I never use it. The older one is 33".
Since I have become 5'5", in my old age, I can put make-up on, at the 33" one. I just can't get close enough, using the 35" one.
I sometimes chuckle, realizing I had a new bathroom built, and never thought I wouldn't be able to use that nice (too high) vanity.

That said, I'd think 32 and 1/4 would be fine...unless you're really tall. If you could raise it, a little more, using a trim board to hide the work, great.

Last edited by Comingbacktolife; 01-29-2016 at 04:11 PM.
Old 01-29-2016, 04:09 PM   #4
crazymaggiemay
Triple Platinum Member

My first thought was to raise it to be comfortable for you not necessarily for resale. A few years back one of my sisters remodeled her basement and included a full bath for my brother-in-law. He is 6 ft 7 in and she is 5 ft 3 in. I don't know how tall his is but I know I would be uncomfortable using it. I am 5 ft if I lie;( I'm a little over 4 ft 11 in).
Old 01-29-2016, 04:34 PM   #5
crowjane
Double Platinum Member

I'm tall, I had all my countertops (kitchen and baths) built to 37 inches high. Perfect height for me. I do this in every house I've lived in, never a resale issue.

Keeping resale in mind is always a good idea, but you have to live there, make it comfortable for you not the next guy.

If I saw a place with 32 1/4 high counters, I'd know I would have to raise them.
Making it more appealing for buyers, is tough when you don't know who the buyer is.
Make it comfy for you.
Old 01-29-2016, 04:44 PM   #6
Comingbacktolife
Triple Platinum Member

Off the subject...I think I would never buy black, again. My goodness, but the dust
accumulates, quickly...or, maybe I'm just lazier than most.
Old 01-29-2016, 07:13 PM   #7
KG in CA
Silver Member

Thank you for the input!!!

No black in the bathrooms, but I do have dark granite in the kitchen & love it.

I am 5'5" & DH is 6' & has never complained about the height. I am doing the reno for our pleasure. I am not concerned with the height in the half bath we are doing.
But, since I am replacing the top in the master bath, I thought I should raise it a bit...

Thanks a bunch!
Old 01-29-2016, 08:51 PM   #8
Fender
Presidential Member

Also be aware that i dont think most buyers would even notice the height of the vanity or countertop unless it was totally obvious. They dont measure, and dont sit and use the vanity.

Im like crowjane. We're tall and design our home to accomodate our height to be more comfortable for our use. Our kitchen counters are 37.5 anda our upper cabinets are 19.75 above those. Its one reason people love our cooking with us in our kitchen, because having the higher upper cabinets it feels really open and light instead of closed in. Anyway, the point is, create the design that works best for you and dont design for some unknown person. Unless, of course, yu're wanting to put long shag carpeting on the ceiling (yes, one of my houses had that when i bought).
Old 01-29-2016, 09:04 PM   #9
KG in CA
Silver Member

There was carpet in the master of this "new build" ages ago...
Old 01-30-2016, 02:10 AM   #10
Nancy ME/WI
Platinum Member

I'm also tall. I wouldn't want anything lower than 34", and 36" would be ideal.
Old 02-08-2016, 10:06 AM   #11
127becca
Platinum Member

I don't understand your numbers. what is the 1/2 inch? - if that is the overhang, then that isn't going to affect the height of the cabinet (questioning if your math is wrong) and that is about the width of the vanity.

If you are questioning the HEIGHT of the cabinet, the math is 30.5 + .75 = 31.25

Way too short for me at 5'7"
Old 02-08-2016, 04:17 PM   #12
KG in CA
Silver Member

Hi Becca!
The cabinet is 30.5". The company said they usually add a wooden top but that they could add 2 wooden slabs and then the counter top. An overhang would hide the excess. It would be at least 30.5+.5+.5+.5=32"

Your figures turn out to be the height I have now. If they add 2 boards I get another 1" over what I have now. That is not a lot but I am not going to replace cabinets at this point. We have considered ripping off the existing top & adding a 2" extension in height around the perimeter & then having the counter guys add the one board + top.

I just figured that if we are going to replace the master bath top we should try to add any height we can.... And we don't really know what we are doing at this point.