Go Back   Home Talk Entertainment Forums > Hobbies > Interior Design

Old 12-15-2015, 12:11 PM   #1
Charm
Topaz Member

Default How different people decorate same room

Thought some of you may enjoy this. I found it to be interesting and fun to scroll through.

http://brightside.me/article/these-f...rtments-34805/
Old 12-16-2015, 12:31 AM   #2
sms29s66
Platinum Member

That was depressing. Were these one-room apartments?
Old 12-16-2015, 01:05 AM   #3
Fender
Presidential Member

They all looked so bland. no happy colors.
Old 12-16-2015, 02:47 AM   #4
ScavengerChic
Weedy Member

That was cool, all different light fixtures.

I love to look at other people's spaces.
Old 12-16-2015, 03:23 PM   #5
CocoKay
Platinum Member

That was fascinating! Not only does it show how the apartment residents live differently from each other, it shows a little about how different homes are in Bucharest and America.
Old 12-16-2015, 03:33 PM   #6
Natalie
Topaz Member

These must be studio apartments if the bed is in the same room. Some use the room as a living room, dining room. Interesting. This is how people live in other countries, so it may be normal for them.
Old 12-16-2015, 04:31 PM   #7
chickypea
VIP

DECORATE??? hahaha
so sad.
Old 12-16-2015, 04:31 PM   #8
always1stepbehind
Elite Member

My first thought was that this was definitely in a different country.
Old 12-16-2015, 08:09 PM   #9
Nancy ME/WI
Platinum Member

I understand that people in other countries live in spaces like that, but wow, so depressing.
Old 12-16-2015, 10:17 PM   #10
Cooper
Elite Presidential Member

Quite a few of those do lack a personal touch.
Old 12-17-2015, 05:18 PM   #11
CocoKay
Platinum Member

Look closer! They all have personal touches. You have to think beyond American expectations. You can tell a lot about the people through their surroundings

For example:
Apt 10- probably a bachelor starting out, he is hip and artistic. Look at his hat and his light fixture.
Apt 9- this person likes coordinated rosy color and contemporary modern furniture. Look at that modern chair! Stylish.
Apt 8- this apartment is focused on the table- gathering and eating- this person has a loose, casual, light, garden-y approach to her apartment.
Apt 7- probably another young bachelor. A comfortable chair and TV are what are important to him. I wonder if he watches soccer or something else.
Apt 6- a book lover lives here. Books overwhelm everything else. Is she a teacher!
Apt 5- this woman is stylish and traditional. She has created a draped alcove for the bed with matching window treatment and molding. She has used rich blues and reds. This woman is very particular about her surroundings.
Apt 4- you have a man with a flair for color. Peach walls and pink drapes and bedding.
Apt 3- this man has a preference for furniture with modern clean lines. His apartment is practical and unfussy.
Apt 2- this apartment has a lot of art, airy curtains. It seems comfortable and friendly
Apt 1- a very minimalist, tidy and rigid space. Looks unlived in.
Old 12-17-2015, 06:43 PM   #12
sms29s66
Platinum Member

Coco, for some reason, all your observations make those apartments even more depressing to me. I would hope that most adults would have the wherewithal to have bigger living spaces.

That brings me to another thought about the tiny house craze. I'd like to know how many couples are still together after a year or so of living in such cramped spaces.
Old 12-17-2015, 06:51 PM   #13
ScavengerChic
Weedy Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CocoKay View Post
Look closer! They all have personal touches. You have to think beyond American expectations. You can tell a lot about the people through their surroundings

For example:
Apt 10- probably a bachelor starting out, he is hip and artistic. Look at his hat and his light fixture.
Apt 9- this person likes coordinated rosy color and contemporary modern furniture. Look at that modern chair! Stylish.
Apt 8- this apartment is focused on the table- gathering and eating- this person has a loose, casual, light, garden-y approach to her apartment.
Apt 7- probably another young bachelor. A comfortable chair and TV are what are important to him. I wonder if he watches soccer or something else.
Apt 6- a book lover lives here. Books overwhelm everything else. Is she a teacher!
Apt 5- this woman is stylish and traditional. She has created a draped alcove for the bed with matching window treatment and molding. She has used rich blues and reds. This woman is very particular about her surroundings.
Apt 4- you have a man with a flair for color. Peach walls and pink drapes and bedding.
Apt 3- this man has a preference for furniture with modern clean lines. His apartment is practical and unfussy.
Apt 2- this apartment has a lot of art, airy curtains. It seems comfortable and friendly
Apt 1- a very minimalist, tidy and rigid space. Looks unlived in.
I agree. I didn't find the photos depressing. Well, the chipping paint maybe.
Old 12-17-2015, 06:54 PM   #14
maude
Platinum Member

Interesting. My brother is a photographer and he did that exact series of photos in an apartment building in Boston probably 30 years ago.

Frankly, I'm surprised people find the Romanian ones so depressing. There are many people living in much worse circumstances "right here in River City", especially old people.
Old 12-17-2015, 07:05 PM   #15
sms29s66
Platinum Member

maude, I know what you mean. I made home visits to welfare clients for 37 years. Maybe that's why I find these photos so depressing. They look way too familiar to me. It never even occurred to me that these were Romanians.
Old 12-17-2015, 07:36 PM   #16
maude
Platinum Member

sms, I'd bet at least 50% of the people in my county live in worse places.

(I went to Walmart for computer ink yesterday and came home so depressed I had to take a nap. Poverty is a b*tch.)
Old 12-17-2015, 09:40 PM   #17
Cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sms29s66 View Post

That brings me to another thought about the tiny house craze. I'd like to know how many couples are still together after a year or so of living in such cramped spaces.
I have also been curious what type of impact that could have on people and or a family long term. Moving your family into a space where they cannot even stand up in their room is a bit odd to me. (When done on purpose and they could afford something larger, going to add those details to avoid more misinterpretations) One can go from huge to something smaller without going crazy.
Old 12-17-2015, 11:16 PM   #18
CocoKay
Platinum Member

I don't see the photos as depressing. I see some pride of place in some of them, I see the bachelor places pretty much like bachelor pads anywhere, I see people's interests and personalities represented. I see people doing their best. It makes me happy to see the way people express themselves through their environment even in small ways.
Old 12-17-2015, 11:48 PM   #19
BellaMia2
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CocoKay View Post
I don't see the photos as depressing. I see some pride of place in some of them, I see the bachelor places pretty much like bachelor pads anywhere, I see people's interests and personalities represented. I see people doing their best. It makes me happy to see the way people express themselves through their environment even in small ways.
I have to agree with you! Those people did a great job of decorating their small space, and their pride shows. I especially like the 8th,9th, and 5th floor pictures. Not everyone lives in big spaces like most of us do.

Last edited by BellaMia2; 12-18-2015 at 12:57 PM.
Old 12-18-2015, 04:41 AM   #20
Cooper

It is also very possible that people just make the best of what they can get. My furniture is nothing like it would be with a larger budget. Try to make things look as nice as possible with some personal touches when possible.
Old 12-18-2015, 10:59 AM   #21
jimzmum
Triple Platinum Member

It is Romania. Those are the concrete apartment blocks that are all over the former USSR and satellites. There are personal touches everywhere, as others have said. I thought it ws fascinating.They are studios, and some pictures were taken on cloudy days, some on sunny days. Poverty? Not so much. Just different.
Old 12-18-2015, 04:01 PM   #22
Natalie
Topaz Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maude View Post
Interesting. My brother is a photographer and he did that exact series of photos in an apartment building in Boston probably 30 years ago.

Frankly, I'm surprised people find the Romanian ones so depressing. There are many people living in much worse circumstances "right here in River City", especially old people.
I would love to see the NY photos and compare them to Romania.
Old 12-18-2015, 08:32 PM   #23
Marina
Double Platinum Member

I actually agree with Coco on this. I found it fascinating and loved how each apartment mirrored it's owner. They were all filled with individual touches. I am with Bella in liking the 5th 8th and 9th floors. I would probably be living in the 6th floor with all the books and computer and a bit of clutter for lack of space. I thought the 9th and 5th had elegant touches. They are small, but they are very homey and comfortable looking.
Old 12-18-2015, 10:28 PM   #24
Cooper

The first thing I did notice is that a few of them do look like someone lives there.
Old 12-20-2015, 04:57 PM   #25
AdaGertrude
Elite Member

My first thought was 'horrible'! Number 1 is the only one that I would be able to stand because at least it was not a cluttered mess.

Interesting tho... tx for sharing
Old 12-21-2015, 03:04 AM   #26
QVC Diva
Double Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy ME/WI View Post
I understand that people in other countries live in spaces like that, but wow, so depressing.
I agree.