Go Back   Home Talk Entertainment Forums > Hobbies > Interior Design

Old 12-14-2015, 12:31 PM   #1
jimzmum
Triple Platinum Member

Default Quick Table Size Question, Please

Will a 96" X 44" X 30" high table seat ten, or is it eight? The 24" rule per person I think makes it an eight-person table. I am looking for a new table to replace the very beautiful antique table currently in use. I have a buyer for it, and I am okay with letting it go. I need a larger, more comfortable table. The current table has been in our family since 1787, and is remarkably uncomfortable. Time to let it go.

Found this one that I like as to style. The size is a little bothersome, though. I need the table to seat 10 comfortably, and would honestly prefer 12. Don't want fancy. Don't want country. Want contemporary. I trust Overstock, having bought from them for years.

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden...Y&searchidx=31
Old 12-14-2015, 02:27 PM   #2
crazymaggiemay
Triple Platinum Member

I think it would seat 8.
Old 12-14-2015, 10:25 PM   #3
Linderhof Cottage
Platinum Member

My table with no leaves 62 -- I have three leaves 12 inches each.

One leaf is a tight eight - 74 inches
two leaves is a good eight - 96
three leaves can seat 10 - 108

But . . . a lot depends on the chairs -- my dining room chairs have nice size seats -- my breakfast room chairs are duncan phyfe and much narrower. If I would use chairs all the size of the DP ones -- I CAN get 12 around the table with three leaves -- but it's cozy.

Martha
Old 12-15-2015, 02:14 AM   #4
BuddyBoosMama
Gold Member

This is one reason I don't enjoy dinners at homes. I know there's a rule and it's made for tiny framed people who live in very small quarters and are used to being smashed together.

Please allow 30" per person unless they are children.

In addition please figure out what I am supposed to do with my very long legs. Cutting my thigh bone to fit under the table in my own leg space is not an option.

It's no wonder men like to get up and leave the table. I'm there with them.

Sorry. Someone needs to speak up about treated like I have the body of a child. Don't get me started on being invited to sit at a breakfast bar!!!
Old 12-15-2015, 06:02 AM   #5
Comingbacktolife
Triple Platinum Member

The four people who sit on each of the side-ends, are going to have their feet on the stick-out feet. Their knees will ram up against the trestle "legs." Ouchie.
Otherwise, it's a cool table.
Old 12-15-2015, 03:55 PM   #6
Linderhof Cottage
Platinum Member

Comingbacktolife does have a point -- which is why I like pedestal tables -- no legs to worry about -- you need to see if you can find a similar table and set chairs up and see if anyone bangs their knees or has an issue with the base that rests on the floor -- like having to put their feet on it.

Even if you order on line you need to find a similar table somewhere and just go look at it!

Martha
Old 12-15-2015, 05:31 PM   #7
jimzmum
Triple Platinum Member

I am. I will probably have it made from wood from the same farm where the first table lived. We will be doing a lot of looking and sitting before we decide. Plenty of time.
Old 12-16-2015, 12:27 AM   #8
sms29s66
Platinum Member

If price were no object, I'd have Thomas Moser build a table for me:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thomas moser.jpg (7.0 KB, 23 views)
Old 12-16-2015, 12:55 AM   #9
Fender
Presidential Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sms29s66 View Post
If price were no object, I'd have Thomas Moser build a table for me:
nice looking, but those legs would drive me nuts! I hate dealing with legs on a table. Much prefer the practicality of a pedestal. Ive spent too may meals crammed against a table leg.
Old 12-16-2015, 01:00 AM   #10
Fender
Presidential Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyBoosMama View Post
This is one reason I don't enjoy dinners at homes. I know there's a rule and it's made for tiny framed people who live in very small quarters and are used to being smashed together.

Please allow 30" per person unless they are children.
30"! i just took out measure tape to get a feel for that size. Im not tiny framed, at almost 6' tall, with very long legs, and 30" is way too much space. Its about 1.5 seats on our tv room couch. If I had big lounge chairs then I suppose they would need that much space. Children don't take much less space than an adult since the size of chair is the same, same place setting and placemat. They might actually take more room since they tend to move around a lot
Old 12-16-2015, 01:04 AM   #11
Fender
Presidential Member

Jimz, I like the look of that style of table, especially when its oversized and a bit chunky. I don't know that I'd like having to deal with my long legs and the table;e legs. they look like they would be in the way and decrease the number of people who could sit at the table. I think Restoration Hardware has similar styled tables you could test out.

Ive been looking for a new table for years, but can't find one that fits the style of the dinning room, and the size, and is round/oval.
Old 12-16-2015, 03:33 AM   #12
sms29s66
Platinum Member

Fender, check out Thomas Moser's site. He builds all sorts of tables--not just the one I posted.
Old 12-16-2015, 04:38 AM   #13
BuddyBoosMama
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fender View Post
30"! i just took out measure tape to get a feel for that size. Im not tiny framed, at almost 6' tall, with very long legs, and 30" is way too much space. Its about 1.5 seats on our tv room couch. If I had big lounge chairs then I suppose they would need that much space. Children don't take much less space than an adult since the size of chair is the same, same place setting and placemat. They might actually take more room since they tend to move around a lot
LOL! Don't you get tired of being "kicked" in the side by stray elbows?

I measure across the front of the body at elbows, allowing the elbows to drape naturally at the side and not tuck them in. It's 24" for me. NOW, adding 3 inches on each side of me gives me room to manipulate my silverware and arm to eat without hitting someone else.

My body doesn't just go straight down to floor from the edge of the shoulder. Most people's angle outward a bit when we sit.

Anything less means I have to physically contort into a painful position to eat and hold it in that position until I can get up from the table.

Of course, I do admit to being an ergonomic misfit. But surely I'm not the only one. My mother used to laugh when I would get into her car. Which was rare.
Old 12-16-2015, 04:54 AM   #14
BuddyBoosMama
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fender View Post
Funny you mention couch cushions. On the decorating shows they talk about how many can sit and watch TV. Only if they are smashed next to each other and they are gouging me with their elbows. You know, as I was recollecting all the times I spilled my food as a teen sitting on a couch that is supposed to hold three, it was because someone always knocking my plate, my arm, etc and then blaming me for being a careless klutz.

I must be more of an ergonomically-built Freak of Nature than I realize and that's probably why furniture shopping was a time consuming nightmare.

Carry on.

Last edited by BuddyBoosMama; 12-16-2015 at 05:01 AM.
Old 12-16-2015, 03:45 PM   #15
CocoKay
Platinum Member

A rectangular table for 12 should be about 10 feet long. That gives you 24 inches per person for five people to sit along each long edge and you can put a person on each end. A typical dining chair is about 15 inches wide and so unless you have really big people the typical 24 inches for each persons place along the table is fine. Of course you can go bigger if you want, especially if you have a lot of overweight or especially large family members. Also if your dining chairs are not typical, especially if they are oversized, you would adjust.

Came back to add that the table you are considering is a trestle style, popular as far back as the medieval ages, so it is more historical than contemporary if that matters to you.

Last edited by CocoKay; 12-16-2015 at 04:06 PM.
Old 03-03-2016, 05:01 PM   #16
cayosusa
Silver Member

Why is it killing me that you are getting rid of a table that has been in your family since 1787? You can't find any other purpose for it? Maybe one of your family members will want it. I only have a few things from my family that is all gone now - wish I had more.
Old 03-03-2016, 06:37 PM   #17
jimzmum
Triple Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cayosusa View Post
Why is it killing me that you are getting rid of a table that has been in your family since 1787? You can't find any other purpose for it? Maybe one of your family members will want it. I only have a few things from my family that is all gone now - wish I had more.
Because it is horrific to sit there for longer than a few moments. The table is much shorter in height to accommodate those of the time when the table was created. Because it is far from being the only family table currently in the family. We have three children, and each child has a cherry dining table and chairs also from the same farm, but somewhat later, as children grew and continued their lives. The Grandgirlies each have a table and chairs waiting for them. Two daughters have a "spare" table used as a side table in other rooms.

Enough with the tables! We are good.