Go Back   Home Talk Entertainment Forums > Hobbies > Interior Design

Old 12-03-2015, 07:27 PM   #1
anstrub
Bronze Member

Default Dorm Room

Wanting to rearrange our dorm room, we don't particularly want to loft our beds, but if there is a cool idea with lofted beds then we may reconsider. We are getting really bored of our setup now. I will attach photos of it now. If anyone has any ideas, it would greatly be appreciated, because we are really struggling to come up with an idea ourselves.
Old 12-03-2015, 10:41 PM   #2
Natalie
Topaz Member

When my son lived in a dorm, he and his roommate put their beds at the highest level. Then they could put a chair and desk under their bed. Or put a table with the TV, or the fridge, or a recliner. It really gave them extra room.
Old 12-04-2015, 04:14 PM   #3
Fender
Presidential Member

Less stuff.
Use vertical space.
Can you attach shelving to wall?
Old 12-04-2015, 04:34 PM   #4
DecoMom
Triple Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalie View Post
When my son lived in a dorm, he and his roommate put their beds at the highest level. Then they could put a chair and desk under their bed. Or put a table with the TV, or the fridge, or a recliner. It really gave them extra room.
This.
Old 12-04-2015, 04:40 PM   #5
DecoMom
Triple Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fender View Post
Less stuff.
Use vertical space.
Can you attach shelving to wall?
And this.

It's hard to reconfigure with stuff spilling out all over. Consider totes (hard or soft) for bath/beauty stuff; a circular shoe stand (less floor space) for shoes; send home off-season clothes.
Old 12-04-2015, 05:15 PM   #6
KG in CA
Silver Member

My only thought so far would be to reverse the bed under the "S" and the bulletin board. You could us hooks to hang storage baskets, back packs, etc. on the end slats for more vertical storage. If you use the slat end as the head of that bed could you manage to fit the TV down in the S corner so that both beds still had a view of the TV?
Old 12-05-2015, 07:01 PM   #7
Marina
Double Platinum Member

One year my son took the footboard off the bed and attached it to the headboard so he had 2 at one end. The other end of the bed he put on top of his dresser, He had to stick a piece of foam rubber on top of the dresser so it didn't scratch. He put his desk under the bed. It gave him a bit more room.
Old 12-07-2015, 06:54 PM   #8
chickypea
VIP

Hang drapes in front of the closets- less visible mess would help.
Matching bed covers would also help- you can get Indian cotton throws really inexpensively.
Old 12-09-2015, 11:37 AM   #9
jimzmum
Triple Platinum Member

First, you need to purge. Way too much stuff. Clean up the room. Really. That will help. Keep the space tidy. It is such a tiny space, that a little clutter makes it impossible. Then, think of storage. I am guessing no holes in the walls. It is a shame that you don't have shelving. This is the first dorm room I have seen w/o shelves! So, you must improvise. If the storage area under the bed is too difficult to drag out heavy baskets, add the silicon furniture-movers to the bottom of the baskets. They will just slide on out. The closet needs organization. Right now it is a hot mess, but only one closet for two people! Ack. Get the stuff on the floor organized. Laundry needs to be out of sight, which means you need to do it more often. Shoes can go on a cheap rack, and out of season shoes, if you live in a cooler climate can be stored way under the bed in a crate. I think there is a drape, and that can be closed. Can you replace that drape with something more colorful? If not, and if it is cloth, you can safety pin things to it. Belts, scarves, etc. could go on the drape, and out of the closet. Best of luck with finals!
Old 12-12-2015, 09:37 PM   #10
127becca
Platinum Member

no desk??? no 2 closets?? wow!

i loved my lofted beds when i was i college. It gave us all of our floor space. In a small space, it always needs to be picked up and stuff put away to keep it from falling in on you.

good luck!
Old 12-13-2015, 08:21 PM   #11
erinsean
Platinum Member

How about bunk beds....one sleep on top and one on the bottom? Rest of the room is free. Room for two desks, some shelves with baskets, curtain over your closet and only one mirror on the back of the door. TV can set on a chest of drawers used by both of you....Then some shelves with baskets. If you don't want bunk beds....put your beds up high like suggested, and put your desk, chest, couch etc. under each one.
Old 12-22-2015, 02:19 PM   #12
Jeannine
Bronze Member

Search a few tags on Instagram for inspiration...

#dormroom
#dormdecor
#dormroomdecorating

and the like. Dorm rooms are tough since you have to have you entire lives in the room, but raising the beds and using fabric (or repurposing drapes) to hide the storage pieces underneath might be a nice start.