Go Back   Home Talk Entertainment Forums > Hobbies > Interior Design

Old 10-12-2015, 06:53 PM   #1
MsP
Elite Member

Default Collections ??

If you collect things for your home what would be your favorite? For me, it would be boxes. I have painted, glass, wooden, china, etc. ones. I recently gave away what I called things in a 1/2 bath my Safari bathroom. Masks, animals, art, feathers, etc. to a college student for her first apartment. I now have it decorated with mirror and clear glass items. Several mirrors on the walls. So far I like it.
Old 10-12-2015, 07:19 PM   #2
jimzmum
Triple Platinum Member

I don't know that I have collections, exactly. I guess you could call the bits and pieces that have come down to me over the years a collection, and I do have some of those out. I change up things now and then so as not to have every horizontal surface crammed with stuff - all memories of loved ones gone before, but there is a limit!
Old 10-12-2015, 08:31 PM   #3
Linderhof Cottage
Platinum Member

I guess my "major" collection would be my Victorian/Edwardian napkin rings, some with names or initials and a date, others with just names while others are just initials. Many are remembrances of trips. I use them (although not all of them) -- two daily for our napkins and the others when I have company.

Martha
Old 10-12-2015, 08:55 PM   #4
Nancy ME/WI
Platinum Member

The only thing here in mass quantity is my books. I don't do collections. To me, collections = dust collectors; plus, we move way too much to haul excess "stuff".
Old 10-12-2015, 09:17 PM   #5
alpiner1
Elite Presidential Member

I collect old candy dishes & sugar & cream sets .
Old 10-12-2015, 11:05 PM   #6
Comingbacktolife
Triple Platinum Member

Kaleidoscopes. I also have about 60 Father Christmas figures, but haven't put them out,
for a couple of years.
Old 10-12-2015, 11:40 PM   #7
buginthelowcountry
Double Platinum Member

Oh... where to begin?!?! I like stuff! I spent a lot of time at my Mamaw's and Great Mommaw's growing up, and always loved all of their knick knacks. Nancy would die here! LOL!

Bird related items... Bluebirds specifically... I've got little bird set-ups, candle holders, bird nests... some nest-led in tree branches... pictures... bird cages...

It was all out teddy bears back in the day, with a few bunnies thrown in... then angels... I still have a couple special teddy bears... and angels... but birds are pretty well my favorite now. (*"*)
Old 10-13-2015, 05:20 AM   #8
Cooper

Art is the only thing that could be called a collection and I like that it can go on the walls to service its purpose and be enjoyed and likely takes no more than a boxes worth of space if or when packaged away. Aside from that I have no real desire to collection things, even though there are a ton of cool items out there. It just costs money and takes up room.
Old 10-13-2015, 11:37 AM   #9
cayosusa
Silver Member

I bring sand or dirt back from the places I've visited and put it in little bottles. Nice memories! and better than those chatchkies (sp?) that you get home with and don't know what to do with.
Old 10-13-2015, 04:08 PM   #10
CocoKay
Platinum Member

I think of my furniture as a collection, especially where the antiques are concerned. I think of my art as a collection also as I gravitate to landscape paintings and for my kitchen still life paintings of food. When I travel I search for old serving spoons, meat forks, and that type of thing to add to my table. Holiday items would be were I do most of my collecting though. I love looking for certain holiday items at thrift shops and garage sales etc. Some of the holiday items I look for are ceramic turkeys, mid century angel bells, Christmas picture books, old Santa mugs, little Woolley sheep, and mid century valentines with space images.
Old 10-13-2015, 05:04 PM   #11
Comingbacktolife
Triple Platinum Member

Cayosusa, you've reminded me of my ocean and river pebbles, collected from watery places, up and down the Pacific Coast. They're in a reed basket, in the living room, as is the collection of one solid color glass animals (curio cabinet). Other collections have been given away, which is generally what happens, as we age.
Old 10-13-2015, 06:25 PM   #12
Ricearoni
Presidential Member

It's bookmarks for me. The hunt is always fun, especially if we're in a new city.
Old 10-27-2015, 04:56 AM   #13
BuddyBoosMama
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpiner1 View Post
I collect old candy dishes & sugar & cream sets .
I love my collection of souvenir travel mugs. I have some souvenir plates, too, which started from receiving 1/3 of Mr. BuddyBoo's grandmothers collection.

Also have souvenir travel magnets on the refrig.

And a collection of small rugs from all over the world, many from when friends traveled.

Since they say a collection is 3 or more of something, I also collect Whippets!! I have 4.
Old 10-27-2015, 05:16 AM   #14
sms29s66
Platinum Member

I must like round things. I have several globes, several snow globes and a big jar of marbles.
Old 10-27-2015, 06:59 PM   #15
chickypea
VIP

Antique silver serving pieces, and salt cellars. (The Victorians had a little silver do dad for everything)
I inherited an antique clock collection.
I also collect very small mirrors (and group them) colorful Mexican coconut masks (displayed in the kitchen) Mexican punched tin, and Day of the Dead pieces, 1960s concert posters (only original first editions from The Filmores- east and west, and The Avalon Ballroom) and in one bathroom, I have a mermaid collection.
Old 10-29-2015, 03:18 PM   #16
Mimilee
Double Platinum Member

Through the years, I've had many different collections. But for the past few years, I've been downsizing and have parted with most of those.

My favorite collection is birds, including birdhouses and one particular framed print I love. I use these as my main spring/summer decorating items.

Not particularly a collection, but I'm drawn to medium and small size trunks. I love using them for storage in closets or stacked in a corner of a room.
Old 10-30-2015, 05:17 PM   #17
Fender
Presidential Member

I have antique China collection. Mostly 2 patterns. The place settings are pretty when used (rarely because require hand washing) but my favorite pieces are the dessert pieces and serving pieces. Like chicly said, Victorians had pieces for everything, dessert bowls/plates are always interesting shapes and usually have better color (not used as often and not usually as acidic food which fades colors over time).
Vintage cameras.

At one time I had a really cool collection of vintage coffee pots (percolators) that adorned the half wall between kitchen @ living room. It was very fitting in that house. I sold them when I moved.

The cups, which I still have (some old and antique, some vibrate, some modern).
Tea pots. I still have most but want to sell. They are all modern day, and take up too much space. I don't give teas much anymore.

I love cake stands. I'd love to have a collection. I have 4. But they take space to store or display, so I not collecting.
Old 10-30-2015, 05:25 PM   #18
chijim

Quote:
Originally Posted by cayosusa View Post
I bring sand or dirt back from the places I've visited and put it in little bottles. Nice memories! and better than those chatchkies (sp?) that you get home with and don't know what to do with.
When my sister went to Egypt in 1972, I asked her to bring me back some sand from around the pyramids.
It's still in orig plastic bag & Marlboro cigarette flip-top box. Klassy!
Old 11-03-2015, 01:28 AM   #19
Silver Springs
Platinum Member

Love old English white ironstone, especially the tall pitchers, old folk art seashell pieces, old books! My favorite collection that I use everyday is my jadeite fire king dishes! What makes them more a joy to look at and use is they were purchased or given to me in the late 70's, early 80's way before Martha made the prices skyrocket! Besides always loving the color I started buying them because they were extremely inexpensive and affordable!! Just a happy color!
Old 11-12-2015, 04:54 PM   #20
Sunny

I collect Christmas ornaments, Angels, Christmas music/ lyrics, & refrigerator magnets from places I've been.
Old 11-12-2015, 09:16 PM   #21
lilsophie
Platinum Member

I just started collecting Milk Glass, I have loved it for years. So I'm now always on the look out for it.
Old 12-17-2015, 01:59 PM   #22
Mary Ruth
Platinum Member

lilsophie, contact me.. PM.. here I have a compote piece you might like, was about to part with it..
Old 12-22-2015, 02:17 PM   #23
Jeannine
Bronze Member

I collect silver bowls/trays that have been engraved. The more random the engraving, the better. I'm in Virginia horse country, so I have some pieces that were trophies for small competitions that always make me smile.
Old 12-25-2015, 03:02 AM   #24
Cooper

Technically I could consider Afghan (blankets) a small fuctional collection. I just picked up a star shaped (wanted to find one of those) one at goodwill for 1.99. I really only pick one up if it really speaks to me.
Old 01-21-2016, 08:58 AM   #25
Merrill Lea
Bronze Member

I collect 8" and 9" dolls, mostly reproduction Ginny dolls.